Hops addition after storage mode

Percy

8 hours ago, Percy said:

Hey Guys,

Been on holidays and my bombshell blonde has gone into "storage mode", and I never added the H5 hops included. Should I just add and keg after a couple of days, or should I move into "keg mode" before adding?

Cheers,

Percy

Hi Percy, trust you enjoyed a break from everything. Adding hops at a cold temp (storage) won’t do any harm however at the keg mode (18C) you will get better aroma and flavour. (better benefits from the hop acids).

So if your not intending to keep the brew/kegs at that temperature I would return to “keg mode” add hops and keg.

Cheers, Mark 

13 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Hi Percy, trust you enjoyed a break from everything. Adding hops at a cold temp (storage) won’t do any harm however at the keg mode (18C) you will get better aroma and flavour. (better benefits from the hop acids).

So if your not intending to keep the brew/kegs at that temperature I would return to “keg mode” add hops and keg.

Cheers, Mark 

Yep, I used to add hops and then store, the flavours of the beers were not as strong. It will take about 4 ours to get back to kegging temperature

I have found that you don’t want to leave the beer in contact with the dry hopping charge at 18 C for any more than about 3 -4 days (hop type depending) I have found that it can cause the flavour to go from freaking awesome to “green grassy” if they are left for too long not to mention they can start to negatively effect head retention / beer clarity and lacing, in extreme cases.

As another tip that I have worked out over the years - raid the kids toy box and grab a couple of glass marbles - chuck them in the hop bag / sock (after sanitising) and this stop the little buggers floating on top and gives you maximum contact time with the beer.

Good luck with your dry hopping!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2