Hops and primer add time

Hello

Quite new to all this .... happy I received the unit and immediately washed out the droid.  I quickly reviewed the instructions and missed the do not add hops and prime ... my partner showed me where it said that after it was already in.  She and I are now wondering if I’ve ruined the batch as it’s currently Propagating.  The directions seem a bit vague as it never does quite say when to add them.  

thank you 

1 hour ago, Fred Tiedemann said:

Hello

Quite new to all this .... happy I received the unit and immediately washed out the droid.  I quickly reviewed the instructions and missed the do not add hops and prime ... my partner showed me where it said that after it was already in.  She and I are now wondering if I’ve ruined the batch as it’s currently Propagating.  The directions seem a bit vague as it never does quite say when to add them.  

thank you 

Hi Fred, Mark here and welcome to the forum.

No you haven’t ruined your brew. The hops will infuse and provide some flavour and perhaps a bit of bitterness (no issue). The primer being a sugar will be consumed by the yeast and therefore increase the alcohol % (again no real issue). So let the brew continue until ready to keg.

Now when kegging or bottling you will need to do the primer again as this is what provides carbonation. You could leave the hops or add 1 or 2 sachets again.

What is the brew?

Are you bottling or kegging?

If you don’t have spare primer there is an thread/posts here about sugar/dextrose dose amounts.

Ps Thank the good women, she must be the head brewer. 🤔lol

• Upvote 1

Mark, thank you.  She certainly keeps me in line usually.  It’s the American pale ale the unit came with.  Great news I have not screwed this to splinters.  I’ll look up how to dextrose it too.  I don’t have extra hop or dextrose.  Is either or both mandatory to having a good keg?  And how long should it set after the droid is done with it?  Is there a book on this as  I am sure The questions are endless

thank you again mark 

cheers 

• Upvote 1

In case you don’t have the full Beerdroid Manual

https://brewart.com/101/wp-content/uploads/BrewArt-BeerDroid-Instruction-Manual-AU-.pdf

The Beerflo manual

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/netstorage/pdf/207349-BrewArt-BrewFlo-Manual.pdf

If you don’t have dextrose use white sugar. I take it you have the Beerflo unit as you mentioned kegs? 
Once you keg or bottle it’s 2 weeks in general for carbonation so try one then. Most wait 4 to 6 weeks and build up stocks. You’ll love the American Pale Ale.

Feel free to ask questions as you like, what we are all here for

Cheers Mark

I’ve also only recently purchased a Beerdroid and Brewflow. I have noticed lots of people talking about the American Pale Ale that came with the Beerdroid. Is this if it’s purchased from HN or direct from BrewArt. I didn’t get the pale ale with mine. 

Barrelboy thanks for the tip on the dextrose discussion. The guy at the home brew shop said I wouldn’t need it. So I’m trying to find out about the best way to do this without using a brewprint. 

4 minutes ago, Nicholas Radford said:

I’ve also only recently purchased a Beerdroid and Brewflow. I have noticed lots of people talking about the American Pale Ale that came with the Beerdroid. Is this if it’s purchased from HN or direct from BrewArt. I didn’t get the pale ale with mine. 

Barrelboy thanks for the tip on the dextrose discussion. The guy at the home brew shop said I wouldn’t need it. So I’m trying to find out about the best way to do this without using a brewprint. 

Hi Nicholas, welcome and great you have got the Beerdroid and Brewflo, top units. The American Pale Ale is direct from BrewArt Is is top drop. You don’t have to worry about dextrose with the BrewArt ingredients as it is the X5 and not to many recipes call for it. If they do I substitute an X1. 
A lot of us don’t purchase the Brewprint kits as such but just buy the BrewArt ingredients.

Cheers Mark (and ask away with any questions)

Ps where abouts are you.?

Hi Mark,

I’m located in Newcastle NSW. So far I have only used brewprints and having a go at a apple cider at the moment to keep the wife happy. I was at my local home brew shop and they have recipe guides which look interesting. When I asked about them the guy in the store said I wouldn’t need the dextrose, just the can and hops. I have attached the one page of the recipes, I was thinking of giving the boags premium a go. What are your thoughts?

Cheers 

Nick

41A0B207-4B84-41E2-A670-ECC5A186F64A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Nick Radford said:

Hi Mark,

I’m located in Newcastle NSW. So far I have only used brewprints and having a go at a apple cider at the moment to keep the wife happy. I was at my local home brew shop and they have recipe guides which look interesting. When I asked about them the guy in the store said I wouldn’t need the dextrose, just the can and hops. I have attached the one page of the recipes, I was thinking of giving the boags premium a go. What are your thoughts?

Cheers 

Nick

Recipes typical from brew shops and nothing wrong with them other than where dextrose is stated just substitute with a light dry malt extract, just don’t delete and use nothing else. Be aware that a lot of brew boosters or enhances contain malt, dextrose and maltodextrin ( non fermentable used mainly for head retention and mouthfeel)

So no issues using the recipes. The Boags ones not there however would say no issues if. following above.

Cheers Mark

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Recipes typical from brew shops and nothing wrong with them other than where dextrose is stated just substitute with a light dry malt extract, just don’t delete and use nothing else. Be aware that a lot of brew boosters or enhances contain malt, dextrose and maltodextrin ( non fermentable used mainly for head retention and mouthfeel)

So no issues using the recipes. The Boags ones not there however would say no issues if. following above.

Cheers Mark

Sorry Nick, the Boags is there, didn’t see it under the main title. Looks good, personally I would use all malt. The hops are a good choice to dry hop. No mention of yeast, use saflager and brew in lager mode.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Rod Forsythe said:

I still can work out how and when do i add the hops , can someone let me know

Rod

Hi Rod, Mark here and welcome to the forum. Good mob here and plenty of help.

Are you referring to the liquid hop sachets from BrewArt? If so if you are kegging you add one to each keg just before you fill them. If bottling then you add both to the droid when fermentation has finished and leave for 24hrs to infuse. (You can add earlier if you wish, a day or two before you think fermentation will finish.

If using hop pellets then use a sanitised hop bag or sanitised stainless hop “bomb” to the droid for min 24hrs whether kegging or bottling.

Hope this help. If not ask away. What styles do you like to brew?

Hi Barrelboy,

I have completed my map of Tassie brew. It has been in secondary fermentation for two weeks today. So I will probably crack the first keg this weekend and let you know. I added the hops in a hops bag on day 17 anticipating end of fermentation. It was ready to keg on day 20, it had a nice hoppy aroma. 
Nick

• Upvote 1

On 08/06/2020 at 6:37 PM, Nick Radford said:

Hi Mark,

Cheers 

Nick

OMG, I should have paid more attention to this sheet, just the hops recipes for some different beers...fantastic