E 3

Nicholas Spanos

Just put a Keg into the BrewFlo to chill.  It doesn't fit in my fridge, so I figured I'd chill it in the machine.  After 10 minutes I get an error code of E3.  After investigating, E3 means air leak.  I didn't hook up the air line to the keg because the instructions say to wait til it's chilled.  So what do I do?  Connect the air line while it chills?

No, you do not have to connect the airline.

I never connect either line until I am just about to make my first pour.  Even then I only connect the beer line and try to pour the first glass.  That way if it is over heady and hard to pour, you can take off a bit of pressure with the first couple of glasses, and by tomorrow it will pour perfectly!

If you remove the elbow from the end of the hose as well as the keg, it shouldn't run the compressor for more than a second or so, and then you wont get the error.

I know the brewflow gets some complaints, but I really do not have a problem. I have literally done hundreds of kegs, and maybe lost two or three due to my own mistakes and damaging the liners.

I think the key is managing the carbonation:

1. always leave for 24hrs after EOF, ideally in storage mode a 5 degrees.
2. dont over prime. I only use 3 teaspoons of dextrose
3. sit the keg in the flow for 24hrs to rest after the inevitable shaking it about to install it
4. pour off a couple glasses to relieve initial pressure before adding the airline.

I get perfect pours every time.  Takes me less than 20 mins to keg, and less than 20 minutes hands-on time to start the next brew.  I gave up home brewing because I hated bottling, this has total brought me back online!

Try and work on the kegging, you will grow to love it with some experience.

Cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Martin Peters said:

I know the brewflow gets some complaints, but I really do not have a problem. I have literally done hundreds of kegs, and maybe lost two or three due to my own mistakes and damaging the liners.

I think the key is managing the carbonation:

1. always leave for 24hrs after EOF, ideally in storage mode a 5 degrees.
2. dont over prime. I only use 3 teaspoons of dextrose
3. sit the keg in the flow for 24hrs to rest after the inevitable shaking it about to install it
4. pour off a couple glasses to relieve initial pressure before adding the airline.

I get perfect pours every time.  Takes me less than 20 mins to keg, and less than 20 minutes hands-on time to start the next brew.  I gave up home brewing because I hated bottling, this has total brought me back online!

Try and work on the kegging, you will grow to love it with some experience.

Cheers,

Martin.

Really helpful post Martin, thanks so much.

I agree with your sentiments on bottling.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Martin Peters said:

No, you do not have to connect the airline.

I never connect either line until I am just about to make my first pour.  Even then I only connect the beer line and try to pour the first glass.  That way if it is over heady and hard to pour, you can take off a bit of pressure with the first couple of glasses, and by tomorrow it will pour perfectly!

If you remove the elbow from the end of the hose as well as the keg, it shouldn't run the compressor for more than a second or so, and then you wont get the error.

Ha, only been doing it for ages and didn't realise you could do what you are doing, now I will try your method and see how that works :).

I've always connected the air hose after placing the keg in and haven't noticed any excess pressure or head in my brews but am absolutely going to cool it without pressure now to see if I can see any differences to what I have always done and report back.

Liked your method for setting up the flo, agree with leaving it as near as practicable to 24 hours.

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1