Keging

Hello. Maybe a very stupid question to ask but here goes. Is it possible to buy 8litres glass bottles to storage beer and carbonate in them as well? Will they explode? I find it difficult to understand that you can carbonate beer in plastic kegs but not in 8l glass material. Maybe my brain is a little short? Haha hope you have a great day

7 hours ago, Sondre Sørensen said:

Hello. Maybe a very stupid question to ask but here goes. Is it possible to buy 8litres glass bottles to storage beer and carbonate in them as well? Will they explode? I find it difficult to understand that you can carbonate beer in plastic kegs but not in 8l glass material. Maybe my brain is a little short? Haha hope you have a great day

Hi Sondre and no not a stupid question. You can certainly carbonate beer in glass bottles, the normal being 750ml, 375ml, 330ml using a priming sugar to produce the co2 carbonation. Now 8l bottles I’m not sure about as to the quality, previous usage. Can you buy them? If so 

1) did they originally contain beer? 2) what sort of capping do they have 3) anything on the bottle that says “not refillable”? 4) why 8l?

4 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Sondre and no not a stupid question. You can certainly carbonate beer in glass bottles, the normal being 750ml, 375ml, 330ml using a priming sugar to produce the co2 carbonation. Now 8l bottles I’m not sure about as to the quality, previous usage. Can you buy them? If so 

1) did they originally contain beer? 2) what sort of capping do they have 3) anything on the bottle that says “not refillable”? 4) why 8l?

Yeah I know carbonation is mostly done in maximum 750ml bottles. I talked with some other guys who knows this topic better than me and they say that I should just forget it cause the pressure inside will be too high and they will explode. I dont know, but it sounds logic when I think about it cause the more littes of beer the higher the pressure from carbonation. About the 8l bottles I currently have a 23l brew that I want to storage when done, I dont want to store them in like over 46 glass bottles so thats why I wanted the 8l bottles. The safest would be buying a keg 

7 minutes ago, Sondre Sørensen said:

Yeah I know carbonation is mostly done in maximum 750ml bottles. I talked with some other guys who knows this topic better than me and they say that I should just forget it cause the pressure inside will be too high and they will explode. I dont know, but it sounds logic when I think about it cause the more littes of beer the higher the pressure from carbonation. About the 8l bottles I currently have a 23l brew that I want to storage when done, I dont want to store them in like over 46 glass bottles so thats why I wanted the 8l bottles. The safest would be buying a keg 

Ok. Your statement “the more littes of beer the higher the pressure from carbonation.” is not correct as you carbonate the same to suit either dispensing pressure from a keg or carbonation suitability for a bottle. That is, a 50l keg is carbonated to the same pressure as a 19l, 9.5l etc and the same with bottles eg a 375ml is carbonated to the same as a 750ml bottle. (Eg a 375ml will use 1 sugar drop, 750ml takes 2). It’s just the amount of priming sugar that changes or the time to carbonate the kegs with co2. 
Have to spoken to a homebrew shop in your area?

Cheers Mark

3 hours ago, Sondre Sørensen said:

I dont want to store them in like over 46 glass bottles so thats why I wanted the 8l bottles.

This is one of the many reasons I like the Brewflo kegs. 5 litres is just right for me, lightweight, easy to store, easy to clean and easy to swap beers mid session should you wish (if you have only the one Brewflo like me).