American Ale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/4/22 at 8:30 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

In the Droid today, will stay with recipe but will dry hop 40g of Centennial rather than the 2 x H2.

Big surprise today, EOF stated after 6 days whereas the last brew I did was 10days. So have dry hopped now with the 40g of Centennial and will wait 48hrs to keg.

I noted when removing the lid for the hops that there was a considerable number of bubbles on the surface so won’t hurt to leave in any event.

2 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Bit of a surprise today as EOF stated after 6 days whereas the previous brew was 10days. So have dry hopped with 40g of Centennial and will wait 48hrs to keg.

Noted on removing the lid for the hops that there were a considerable number of bubbles on the surface so won’t hurt to leave.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Steve,

You may be right.  I believe I remember an American Ale BrewPrint when I first joined the Forum.  I never got around to ordering it, but I had to edit my spreadsheet when it disappeared.  Discovery Pale Ale seems similar to the brew being discussed in this thread.  Captain 3 Droids was planning to dry-hop instead of using the recommended H2*2 ingredient.  A possible coincidence is that a new BrewPrint called American Pale Ale appeared at about the same time (as I recall).  American Pale Ale is similar to what the guys were discussing in this thread.  It involves dry-hopping.  I plan to brew it in the near future.

Happy brewing.  😀

• Upvote 1

Thanks Thag. The American Ale was my first brew - got it along with my droid as a Christmas gift - so I have it in my journal on the app, and like I said, when I click on it for information about it, it takes me to the Discovery. My guess is that they had some confusion between the American Ale and the American Pale Ale, so they simply changed the name, but I don't know for certain.

• 2 months later...

This of course is the brewprint that came with my BeerDroid...."and the survey says" it's good....clearly young but I reckon if I wanted to refrigerate it all at this point to keep the flavor profile I could. It's quite bubbly, and very hoppy....and the alcohol I didn't gauge but I reckon it has all it's entitled to. I am going to take the ten bottles that remain and let them condition yet longer...two for two more weeks and the remainder for how ever long I can stand to let them sit there. My next recipe is Belgian Lager and I will use glass Grolsch bottles and prepare enough to get all that the BeerDroid can pour out. Happy with my BeerDroid...I would say I will never buy a six pack but actually on trip coming up I know where I can get a six pack of Coopers so I will get that just to compare. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John Garrison said:

This of course is the brewprint that came with my BeerDroid...."and the survey says" it's good....clearly young but I reckon if I wanted to refrigerate it all at this point to keep the flavor profile I could. It's quite bubbly, and very hoppy....and the alcohol I didn't gauge but I reckon it has all it's entitled to. I am going to take the ten bottles that remain and let them condition yet longer...two for two more weeks and the remainder for how ever long I can stand to let them sit there. My next recipe is Belgian Lager and I will use glass Grolsch bottles and prepare enough to get all that the BeerDroid can pour out. Happy with my BeerDroid...I would say I will never buy a six pack but actually on trip coming up I know where I can get a six pack of Coopers so I will get that just to compare. 

Sounds like you're on the right track, John! That American Ale should keep getting better for several months yet. I bottled my first batch 15 weeks ago, and slowly sampled it down to one remaining PET bottle, which I hope to keep cellared for another few months, just for comparison purposes. As for the Belgian Lager, I'd say that's a sound choice. If you like Stella Artois, you'll like the Belgian just fine, I guess. 

Now, just keep going!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Sounds like you're on the right track, John! That American Ale should keep getting better for several months yet. I bottled my first batch 15 weeks ago, and slowly sampled it down to one remaining PET bottle, which I hope to keep cellared for another few months, just for comparison purposes. As for the Belgian Lager, I'd say that's a sound choice. If you like Stella Artois, you'll like the Belgian just fine, I guess. 

Now, just keep going!

With the PET bottles, they will leak carbonation. I'd keep a check on that last bottle weekly, give the bottle a squeeze, any give, then straight in the frisdge and neck it.

I learnt the hard way, had 3 bottles of 4 leaf that just went flat, was so disappointed as I preferred my brew to Guiness (take on board that it was against one pubs pull of a pint of Guiness).

• Like 1