The reluctant cricketer

Rob Courtney

Retired last year, at that stage where I don't get hungry for the season to start anymore.

Somehow picked to play the first match of the season. Hopefully bat 11 and maybe field first slip...that'd be gold, get the feeling I'll be sore come Sunday morning. Will be ropeable if I look at the bowling list and go "crap, I'm bowling 7 overs today" ( one day match).

I mean, the worst part is that i can't get on the beers too much tonight...stupid cricket

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Retired last year, at that stage where I don't get hungry for the season to start anymore.

Somehow picked to play the first match of the season. Hopefully bat 11 and maybe field first slip...that'd be gold, get the feeling I'll be sore come Sunday morning. Will be ropeable if I look at the bowling list and go "crap, I'm bowling 7 overs today" ( one day match).

I mean, the worst part is that i can't get on the beers too much tonight...stupid cricket

You and me need to sit down and talk about priorities, some sacrifices are just not worth it. Perhaps if you play half tanked šŸ¤¢,Ā hangover etc you wonā€™t get picked again. šŸ˜Š

Ps As you retired, you are a registered paid up player?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

You and me need to sit down and talk about priorities, some sacrifices are just not worth it. Perhaps if you play half tanked šŸ¤¢,Ā hangover etc you wonā€™t get picked again. šŸ˜Š

Ps As you retired, you are a registered paid up player?

Yeah, whether I was to pay or not this year, I was going to sling the club subs anyways and lets face it getting to the ground ith a hangover is no certainty to playing a bad game. I mean a run a ball hundred may not be on the cards but coming in with 5 overs left might resul in you doing something stupid like scoring 30+ off 15 deliveries and believing in yourself again

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Good Luck mate . Hope you get the full 7 overs in šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ . Beers will taste good in the pavilion tonight though

Hopefully it will be like last year when I avoided bowling for a while and in a tight one day match the captain hadn't rotated the bowlers correctly so I had to bowl the third to last over with them needing 15 and us three wickets. IĀ  was pretty nervous given the way a first ball can fly over the fence in these situations but I strutted off the ground at the end of the over bowling a three wicket maiden *

Ā 

*Putting it into context though, really early in the season I did bowl a three over spell with no wickets for 50...and the sixes that were hit weren't just over the fence either, so it can go either way.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Glen Rycroft said:

You'll need to train your young fella when he is old enough to operate the BrewflowĀ šŸ˜‰

Yes, lets imagine how dead I'd be if my boy hurt himself getting a beer for me. I think I'll wait until he is double figures before I set him that task.

Not saying he couldn't do it now but ...Ā 

• Haha 1

So, one more game...

Ā 

had to come in at the end and try and score quick runs, which I didn't but at least it wasn't a duck.

Pick of the bowlers though with 3-31 off 7 (dropped catch off my bowling which cost us the match and I let the fielder know...I didn't) as well as a catch and a run out. Not quite as sore as last week, though will still go the frosty brew medicinal route

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Uggggh.

On the positive, it is on turf, so there is that. Besides beer and sex, rarely a pleasure as good as batting on turf for 20+ overs*

*I won't be doing that but, eyes have slightly gone so the seasons of averaging 50+ with the bat are gone. Still, a bit of luck, a bit of yesteryear...

One day match and the batsmen who can bat did well, I got to come in with one over left, didn't face a ball...red ink fellas, red ink.

Still 215 from 35 overs is a fair effort.

We won with 40 odd runs left to get taking 7 wickets, fat boy taking 3 wickets ( the most for the match but still not enough for MOTM honours which quite frankly is utter BS)

• 1 month later...

We missed out on 4th by 1 point.

I'd like to say I'm devo but yeah, going out to lunch with the good wife next Saturday (if she gets up in time for lunch) so there is that. On the positive today though, took 3-34 off 10 overs and had two direct hit run outs, which is pretty sweet for a 51 year old man. Bloody smart arsed kids thinking they can take me on...I mean, I am slower, my arm isn't what it once was but geez kids I was a gun fielder when I was in my teens/early 20s, no easy singles my way...even now :)