CLEANING KRAUSEN FROM BROWN PLASTIC BOTTLES

I do what most people here do and rinse my brown plastic bottles immediately after drinking.

I have noticed on some of my brews that during secondary fermentation I get a small 3 mm krausen ring on the bottle.

The beer is carbonated and tastes amazing especially after 6 weeks in the bottle.

So will soaking the bottles overnight in a percarbonate solution remove this Krausen?

I don't want to use a brush on the plastic bottles in case they get scratched.

What are your thoughts?

3 hours ago, Damian Ryan said:

I do what most people here do and rinse my brown plastic bottles immediately after drinking.

I have noticed on some of my brews that during secondary fermentation I get a small 3 mm krausen ring on the bottle.

The beer is carbonated and tastes amazing especially after 6 weeks in the bottle.

So will soaking the bottles overnight in a percarbonate solution remove this Krausen?

I don't want to use a brush on the plastic bottles in case they get scratched.

What are your thoughts?

Is the krausen ring up the top on the neck of the bottle? If so make up a mixture of the sodium percarbonate, pour some into the bottle, put the cap on, give a good shake and then invert the bottle so the krausen ring is submerged and leave that way for an hour or two. Empty and rinse. That way your not having to fill the bottles with the solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 8:38 AM, Barrelboy said:

I generally run with 6 x 570ml dimple mugs, 3 x 425 & 4 x 450ml traditional pint glasses (425ml South Australian pint) and 2 x 750ml lager/Pilsner glasses (great for when you can’t be buggered going to the fridge all the time). Luckily I can store these in the freezer as I always pour my beer cold. 
Other than when brand new (clean with sodium percarbonate) I only rinse the glasses with water (and water only) rinsing always straight after consumption so beer lacing doesn’t dry on the glass. This has worked well for years and photos of my brews will support good head retention and lacing.

Every now and again (probably monthly I clean each glass with water and these glass brushes, excellent.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263045464574

How do you treat yours.

On 06/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, Barrelboy said:

My eBay link April 24 is no longer valid so https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123799925813 is the type I use.

I have soaked the bottles as you suggested  with terrific results, thanks fellas.

• Like 1