Oat Cream IPA

Bryce Seaton

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried to use “Oat milk” for a NEIPA style beer and have to say it was an utter fail.  

I think you’re best off using baked golden oats as this coopers recipe lays out.  

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/brekky-oat-cream-ipa.html

keeping in mind this is for 23L using a cerveza can.   You could use a cerveza brewprint instead, but would require boiling smashed  naked golden oats 125g and 50-100g Lactose to make a wort , cool it, dilute to 10L in the droid then add the yeast and cerveza brew print.    This is just eyeballing 

Also you could just ask the brew support and I’m sure they can help you hit what you’re chasing.   They’ve been spot on with anything I’ve thrown at them and I’m impressed with their accuracy.  

good luck and let us know what you end up with! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Oats update:

Bennoz’ suggestions around adding 250-500g oat liquid are spot on and the mouth feel achieved is unreal. 

I have just tried another option which was to pulverise the oats nearly to a powder and cook them with water for 30’ then strain.   I will Say that this resulted in a very thick sludge.   Perhaps grinding them wasn’t the best move as within an hour of sitting in the droid, there was a noticeable liquid level of cloudy thick oaty wort and then a less cloudy and thick upper part.  

once I added all the elements though it’s homogenised again.   

I was hoping to achieve maximal oat extraction using this method.   Will keep you updated on the results.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2021 at 9:09 PM, J P said:

I tried to use “Oat milk” for a NEIPA style beer and have to say it was an utter fail.  

I think you’re best off using baked golden oats as this coopers recipe lays out.  

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/brekky-oat-cream-ipa.html

keeping in mind this is for 23L using a cerveza can.   You could use a cerveza brewprint instead, but would require boiling smashed  naked golden oats 125g and 50-100g Lactose to make a wort , cool it, dilute to 10L in the droid then add the yeast and cerveza brew print.    This is just eyeballing 

Also you could just ask the brew support and I’m sure they can help you hit what you’re chasing.   They’ve been spot on with anything I’ve thrown at them and I’m impressed with their accuracy.  

good luck and let us know what you end up with! 

DF032BB5-8B33-4ADA-8FD5-8EB73E83F41F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, J P said:

Oats update:

Bennoz’ suggestions around adding 250-500g oat liquid are spot on and the mouth feel achieved is unreal. 

I have just tried another option which was to pulverise the oats nearly to a powder and cook them with water for 30’ then strain.   I will Say that this resulted in a very thick sludge.   Perhaps grinding them wasn’t the best move as within an hour of sitting in the droid, there was a noticeable liquid level of cloudy thick oaty wort and then a less cloudy and thick upper part.  

once I added all the elements though it’s homogenised again.   

I was hoping to achieve maximal oat extraction using this method.   Will keep you updated on the results.  

This one just finished.   Had an entire bottle and a half worth of murky thick milky (oats and hops) stuff…

the rest was a really hazy aromatic and wonderful beer.   Not sure I’d pulverise the oats next time, or if I did I might halve the amount.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1