Pirate Life IPA

3 minutes ago, Shaun Murphy said:

Hi all new to the group. Is there a recipe section or such? 
many advice would be appreciated. Thank you 

Welcome Shaun to the forum, lots of info and help.

This may help, has the BrewPrint recipes and some clone extras. What styles do you prefer?

https://community.brewart.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=605

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Shaun Murphy said:

Beautiful thank you and really getting into HAZY’s at the moment. And allways love a sour so that might be a thing for future. 
quick question what does the short hand references in the notes section mean? Ie:DH 

AND THANK YOU 

The HAZY’S are great, sours depends.

DH means dry hop. Feel free to ask anything here, always someone to help out. 

Dustin be keen to hear your report to. Thought about doing that one. What amounts are you going to hop to. Pirate Life had a decent beer until they sold out.

Shaun welcome, I'm pretty sure you will see a Hazy IPA coming out soon from Brewart.

Captain, agree the Hop-sessed IPA is a great session IPA, the XPA was great two. Actually ordered the Session (Pacific) ale . First the Boho out  and the Goat in.

Edited by Robert Pretty
  • Upvote 1

On 18/01/2021 at 10:11 PM, Robert Pretty said:

Dustin be keen to hear your report to. Thought about doing that one. What amounts are you going to hop to. Pirate Life had a decent beer until they sold out.

I dry hopped this one a couple of days ago using 30 grams each of Centennial, Riwaka and Simcoe as per the spreadsheet recipe. I'll leave that mix in for 5 days as suggested and then cold crash for about 3 days. I guess this one will need 8 weeks secondary to be at its best so it will be a little while before the real taste test.

Now that I'm on a bit of a roll again I just need to work out which brew to put down next. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

452708993_PLIPA.thumb.jpg.559addf5282cebc2fb77243ff2d985ce.jpg

Keg pour at 6 weeks. The glass is cold and it's a bit humid here today. The beer is completely clear but it's difficult to tell in this photo. Might take another later. The head retention is perfect, all the way to the last sip.

This is an awesome custom brew, the Riwaka hops really make it stand out from the other IPAs. Tastes like Pirate Life IPA to me.

Unfortunately I've had a few keg liner issues lately and this one split near the spigot so outside the keg liner is full of beer. Thankfully this was a brand new keg out of the box so it's relatively sanitary and my kegs sit somewhere dark when in secondary. I can't taste any bad flavours but it's never going pour well out of the Brewflo like that. I'm not wasting 5 litres of beer so will be drinking all of this. I guess the next keg (which hasn't had any issues) will be the real taste test but if this is anything to go by I'll be making this one again.

Whilst we're talking about kegs and liners etc. I found an interesting one the other day where the liner hadn't failed completely but there was a tiny manufacturing flaw that was letting air in/out. I think I could taste a little bit of oxidisation on that brew and it certainly didn't pour well. Anyway, just another appreciative shout out to the Brewart customer service superstar (Liam) for working through troubleshooting with me and we've arranged for me to send in the suspect liner for their quality control inspection. I really hope the team can get on top of their manufacturing and supply chain issues because it must be driving them mad.

I'm pretty sure the keg liners are made in Germany. Maybe they can find someone local like Visy or Detmold to get onboard and manufacture them here instead so that Brewart can have some more visibility over the process. 

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Enjoying the second keg at almost 9 weeks in secondary.

This is a favourite recipe and definitely in my top 10. Will try to brew this one as regularly as my Single-Droidedness allows.

You will have to alternate 2 or 3 of your favourites, only way to stay sane “Dustin one brew, no room” 😁

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Hi Guy's

Also looking to have a crack at a custom Brew / Pirate Life IPA. Any tips I may need?

Do I just use the Ale program? I have all the individual ingredients as per the Shemsheet Excel file including the Dry Hops Centiennial, Riwaka & Simcoe + H2 x 2. This is my first custom brew so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Senator said:

Hi Guy's

Also looking to have a crack at a custom Brew / Pirate Life IPA. Any tips I may need?

Do I just use the Ale program? I have all the individual ingredients as per the Shemsheet Excel file including the Dry Hops Centiennial, Riwaka & Simcoe + H2 x 2. This is my first custom brew so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Ale mode and make as per recipe. Note, this is a high alcohol brew, 7.5% and the ingredients would suggest a probable overflow so prepare for that.

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Ale mode and make as per recipe. Note, this is a high alcohol brew, 7.5% and the ingredients would suggest a probable overflow so prepare for that.

Thanks Captain.

Wow 7.5% shouldn't need many of these! Thanks for the heads up on probable overflow too...

• Upvote 1