Cooper Pale Ale, dry hop or not?

4 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I am starting my 2nd brew and it will be Coopers Pale Ale. I have 13gm of Cascade DH & 15gm of Challenger left over from my brew (Coopers Pale Ale).

Should I use these DH's in my Dark Ale or just stick to the Brew Art recipes?

To be honest you can choose what ever, experimentation is fun and some of the outcomes can be exceptional. Personally I think the hops would be more suitable to the Pale Ale, however why not the Dark Ale? Up to you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I am starting my 2nd brew and it will be Coopers Pale Ale. I have 13gm of Cascade DH & 15gm of Challenger left over from my brew (Coopers Pale Ale).

It's a pretty good drink without hops, so maybe see what it is like first that way and then if you want to add hops next time...and there'll be a next time, you can.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

It's a pretty good drink without hops, so maybe see what it is like first that way and then if you want to add hops next time...and there'll be a next time, you can.

Yeah, I think your right Rob. I will leave the DH's until next time. Its only my 2nd brew so I need to develop some reference points before experimenting.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Hi Gary,

The Dark Ale is a fantastic beer but you'll have to be extra patient with this one as it really needs a minimum of 10 to 12 weeks secondary fermentation for the flavours and most importantly the body to develop to its full potential. It is a fantastic Coopers beer.

I would brew this as per the standard Brewart recipe to begin with and then perhaps experiment with dry hopping on the second go should you wish. 

Don't forget that some of the Elements (or 'E' packets) have bittering hops already boiled into the dried wort. Dry hopping a beer will add aromas and assist with head retention. In my opinion this one doesn't need it.

• Upvote 1