Adding dry hops before EOF

3 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Two would be a pain if you were doing them on the same day but if you split brews a week or so apart I reckon it’d be manageable.

I run the droids continually so there is no idle time however have found that due to various fermentation time variations I can’t recall two being ready on the same day however often have 2 days in a row and sometimes 3 (pisses me a bit). However as I’m retired I nearly always do the business starting at about 7am, so day not interrupted and there out of the way, done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Two would be a pain if you were doing them on the same day but if you split brews a week or so apart I reckon it’d be manageable.

Yeah you do but at some point, the Droid gods go "well, I'll make this one take a few days longer and that one a few days less"...and then you're stuffed but yeah, try to keep them a bit apart.

As to the cmplaint about brewing more than you can consume, there are times I will switch the second one off, particulary during winter but when I need to speed it up, the second droid is a godsend

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I follow the recommended procedure but my problem was that my droids were banished to the garage (from the laundry where were wash up facilities). This meant that I had to carry the droid to my back yard to do the clean with a hose plus hot water and detergent and carry it back to the garage location. Not a good idea to shake the compressor around. It was all getting to hard and besides I was making a shit load of beer that I had not chance of getting on top of. The good news is that I have since renovated the laundry (brownie points) and her indoors thinks the brews are pretty good so I have some inclusion now. and I have the go ahead to set my droid up in the laundry which solve my logistical cleaning problem and also improve the Wi Fi connectivity.

I understand and sympathise.

I was running mine in an apartment wardrobe last year. After moving back home I graduated to the “study” in a makeshift spot next to my desk but that still requires me to carry it downstairs to clean and reset for each brew.

I’m moving into a new house later this month. I’ll still need to shift it around for the cleanup but won’t need to carry up and down stairs into position.

I’m looking forward to when we have enough money to put the extension on this house that it deserves and a brewing area behind the kitchen will be a priority.

I wanted a house with a cellar to solve these “problems”. Sadly it just wasn’t meant to be.

The things we do for beer!

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah you do but at some point, the Droid gods go "well, I'll make this one take a few days longer and that one a few days less"...and then you're stuffed but yeah, try to keep them a bit apart.

As to the cmplaint about brewing more than you can consume, there are times I will switch the second one off, particulary during winter but when I need to speed it up, the second droid is a godsend

As I said I may yet buy another  Droid depending on the production demands of my new arrangement with my beer loving neighbour. If It was just for me one droid would be enough. It all comes down to supply and demand' 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

As I said I may yet buy another  Droid depending on the production demands of my new arrangement with my beer loving neighbour. If It was just for me one droid would be enough. It all comes down to supply and demand' 

Yeah I understand, as I said though, it gives some flexibility when brewing. If I had two droids going non stop, there would be no way I'd want to keep up that drinking schedule let alone three, I mean even George Best wouldn't have needed three droids...

548vfo.jpg

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah I understand, as I said though, it gives some flexibility when brewing. If I had two droids going non stop, there would be no way I'd want to keep up that drinking schedule let alone three, I mean even George Best wouldn't have needed three droids...

548vfo.jpg

You sure, Best would have 4. It’s about building stocks, I run 13 kegs suitable for 10l each plus 2 x 5l kegs. I mean you only get 17 x 560ml pints per keg. 🤔🍻🍺

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Oh I just had to put in the hops early, didn't I?

Should have gone to RTK tonight...I am putting money on it not getting there to Thursday, why do I believe I am worthy of cheating the hopping gods?

FMBL

Do you know that you can avoid this by copying the fermentation parameters from whichever recipe you’re brewing and starting it as a Custom Brew and enabling the Dry Hop feature?

This way any recipe becomes a Dry Hop program and the guesswork is removed completely.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2