BeerDroid Ramping with Custom Program

I am doing a Mr. Beer Recipe in the BeerDroid.  It is a doppelbock and the recipe has been adjusted to make 10 liters.  The instructions call for a fermentation range between 53° and 59° F.  

I started a Custom program (not Ale or Lager) and set the fermentation temperature to 57° F.

After 6 days, I got a notification from the BeerDroid app stating that it has "Initiated Temperature Ramping" and raised the temperature of my brew to 60° F.  Since this was higher than the instructions called for, I manually changed the temperature back to 57° F.

A day later, the droid changed the temperature back to 60° F again.  This time, after I got the notification, I set the temperature to 55° F.  So far, it has stayed there.

Why does the BeerDroid change the temperature that I have manually set for my custom program?

Is there any way to prevent the BeerDroid from raising the temperature again on it's own?

11 hours ago, Erik Denkers said:

I am doing a Mr. Beer Recipe in the BeerDroid.  It is a doppelbock and the recipe has been adjusted to make 10 liters.  The instructions call for a fermentation range between 53° and 59° F.  

I started a Custom program (not Ale or Lager) and set the fermentation temperature to 57° F.

After 6 days, I got a notification from the BeerDroid app stating that it has "Initiated Temperature Ramping" and raised the temperature of my brew to 60° F.  Since this was higher than the instructions called for, I manually changed the temperature back to 57° F.

A day later, the droid changed the temperature back to 60° F again.  This time, after I got the notification, I set the temperature to 55° F.  So far, it has stayed there.

Why does the BeerDroid change the temperature that I have manually set for my custom program?

Is there any way to prevent the BeerDroid from raising the temperature again on it's own?

Usually the droid raises the temp to activate the yeast to finish the last of the sugars off so it can go RTK

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Erik Denkers said:

Okay, but the Droid is raising the temp higher than the recommended fermentation temperature range than the recipe instructions calls for. 

Isn't that going to mess up my beer?

Hi Erik, the short answer is no. After 6 days fermentation is very much near its end. The program is correctly “cleaning up” the brew and preparing to then further ramp up to the kegging  temperature 65F (18C). The cleaning up process is as Rob has stated, to finish off the last of the sugars and clean the brew up. I take it the brew is a lager. If I was you I’d now set the temperature 65F and await EOF confirmation.

The custom mode does allow you to set and change temperature during the fermentation process but the droid will take over near the end to finalise it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, the brew is a lager.  The yeast is W-34/70 Lager Yeast.

This is from the instructions... 

Put your fermenter in a location with a consistent temperature between 53° and 59° F, and out of direct sunlight. Ferment for 21 days.

I am not sure that 6 days will be long enough.  This is a Dopplebock, which typically takes 2 weeks in primary fermentation including a diacetyl rest.

1 minute ago, Erik Denkers said:

Yes, the brew is a lager.  The yeast is W-34/70 Lager Yeast.

This is from the instructions... 

Put your fermenter in a location with a consistent temperature between 53° and 59° F, and out of direct sunlight. Ferment for 21 days.

I am not sure that 6 days will be long enough.  This is a Dopplebock, which typically takes 2 weeks in primary fermentation including a diacetyl rest.

Ok that explains it more. Do what your doing by leaving at 55F, you may need to just keep an eye on it incase it ramps up again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

If anyone runs into this thread, today I learned, a bit more about Diacetyl.  Diacetyl is part of the metabolic process of the yeast that it produces and uses during warmer ferments, but tends to build up on if doing colder ferments.  The ramping is there to, while the yeast is still active, allow the yeast to clean this up at the end of your ferment.  Simply, you want there to still be some sugars left for the yeast to have the energy to mop this up.

Diacetyl is that artificial popcorn butter flavor you may not want, typically in lagers (due to colder ferments) but will occur in any colder ferment with almost any yeast.  So if you want that flavor profile in your ale then keep it low!

This is just my TLDR version but I'm a dumb-ass still learning by finding random videos & forums so if you want the full breakdown and understand more go here:

• Upvote 3