The fish and chipper

So my fish and chip shop, which does great food and a massive amount of chips for 4 bucks does ( something I never noticed on the menu before in 10 years) a Schnitzel burger. I am a massive fan of a snitz and gravy roll, which i assumed this was but no...this is a fat piece of chicken schnitzel cut in half and put on a burger roll with an inch of bacon, cheese, tomato and lettuce.

I ordered it last time and again tonight, it is about 7-8 cms or 3 inches of meat, plus extras on a roll. To think, this is the basic, for 3 bucks more, there is a with the lot...FFS. I have no idea what the "lot" has on it but it is something I'd have tackled at 18, not now.

Pretty sure I'll be a labrador on a walk tomorrow if you have had a labrador, you'll get my drift.

It went down well with beer ;)

Anyways, what's your favourite fast food story? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

During our time living in inner city Melbourne we would eat at the Embassy Taxi Cafe in West Melbourne most weekends. They made incredible 24 hour Taxi Driver food. The kind of place where you could get a mixed grill at 3 in the morning.

One of my mates fell asleep in his post night out burger so many times that they used to greet him as “Sleeping Beauty” each time we walked in the door.

I miss that place.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

For just pure simplicity, I’ve never forgotten just how great the Adelaide pie floater was (from the pie cart) particularly at 1am after a night out. I mean even a tub of the mash pies was a delight to walk away with.

12E2B600-ACF2-47D0-A5FC-86BCE516743A.jpeg.e7b98b287eaf391d77a1e4fb53ea8540.jpeg

Love a good pie floater.

The wife hadn’t tried one until a year ago. Now she’s a convert.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

So,  thought I'd play it safe tonight and get a chicken snitz with gravy roll. A staple of the common man, a stymbol of class war if you will.

Many a diet has been shattered by succumbing to one of these fine foods, many a time I have saunterd into a deli and just said "bugger it, I'll have one of those thanks"

Same chipper, same result, two inches of Snitz and then gravy...I am not 21 anymore so not sure why they put chips with it because it was one or the other but they did. Worse part is the chips are great, so it seemed a waste but eating them would have increased the waist...will have to post a photo next time...and there will be a next time.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I know, here's me going "what could go wrong, thin bit of snitz, on a roll, dollop of gravy, easy as"

I'm not too proud to admit I was wrong...

As I didn’t grow up in SA, chicken schnitzel was always of the Italian variety and often with parmigiana topping which is great but a very different beast.

The SA take on a traditional German schnitzel with plain ol’ Anglo/Aussie meat gravy is a thing of beauty and I just can’t resist. Add chips, poke a stick in me and I’m done. 

🤤

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

As I didn’t grow up in SA, chicken schnitzel was always of the Italian variety and often with parmigiana topping which is great but a very different beast.

The SA take on a traditional German schnitzel with plain ol’ Anglo/Aussie meat gravy is a thing of beauty and I just can’t resist. Add chips, poke a stick in me and I’m done. 

🤤

Now you got to try this schnitzel, called the “Full Monty” - pic is beef but can be chicken. Middle pub, Willunga. You should take your wife there for lunch, excellent menu.

3E4061C1-4A6E-4BBA-95AB-9B4C3E431DBF.thumb.jpeg.94cf2786b60230e5a7f22671a107866a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

So, I am on holiday and the good wife decided we should have fish and chips, good call, seaside town, how hard could it be to get a feed. First place that I saw on my morning reconnancence walk shut at 6pm. We asked the person in the next shop whether there was a decent one near and he pointed us to a local restaurant that does take away too.

So we have gone in there, placed our order...and the girl says "do you want a pint whilst you wait"

Where has this concept been?...of course i want a pint...and i did. I didn't notice that they had a local pale ale but had seen the Stella on tap and had said that and noticed the other just after she started pouring. All good though, the first time is always something you can accept and given the fish and chips was good, I can go back there and try the Pale Ale whilst I wait.

All fish and chip shops need to look into this, it is a dead set winner

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 25/06/2021 at 9:11 AM, Rob Courtney said:

Anyways, what's your favourite fast food story? 

There are quite a few, including a vaguely memorable day in Amsterdam in 2017, but my fondest fast food memory happened on a rainy day in Dublin last December. At the end of an exhaustive day of museums, Guiness, cathedrals, Smithwick's (see my profile pic), and a sip or two of Teeling, we headed for a little Asian food shop to sample a true Dublin classic; the "Spice Bag." I won't go into a lot of detail here about the dish, but if you are unfamiliar with it and find the photo intriguing, it Googles up easy enough. I'll simply add that I have been unsuccessful in either replicating it at home, or finding a restaurant nearby that offers it. 

It may be time to consider another flight to Ireland...

IMG_3789.jpeg

• Upvote 1