Dry hops versus liquid hops

7 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I am wondering why Brewart have not replace all their liquid hops with the equivalent dry hops in their recipes ??

When dry hops came out with Brewart, I asked Liam if we were getting all the other hops (Saaz, Hallertau, etc) and he felt that the liquid hops in those varities was perfectly fine and they wouldn't go down that track.

I mean, that's fine, I ould have been happy to buy dry hops from Brewart if they had Saaz...Tettanger etc. I just prefer the bitterness I get from dry hops in comparison to liquid hops. In saying that though, I found the liquid hops for ales much more staisfying than those for the lagers in final product...but each to their own

• Upvote 1

On 25/08/2021 at 10:38 PM, Eltham Brewing House said:

Great reading but it doesn't explain why Brewart have some recipes with hop extract and others with dry hops. Is it a cost consideration or a flavour consideration?

Found this info:-

“different than using pellets or whole leaf hops, as hop resin extract eliminates a great deal of the inert materials that come with pellets and leaf hops, which means less trub in the bottom of the brew kettle. 

Hop extract will improve the utilization of the alpha acids and can affect the final aroma of the beer. If a change in the aroma is not desired, pellets or whole hops can be used for your aroma hops. But feel comfortable using hop resin extract for your bittering additions.”

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry.  I got to this rather late.

I prefer dry hops because they seem to yield a more aromatic essence and a deeper flavor than the liquid hops.

I have tried hop bombs and the Bouncer hop filters.  Even Bouncer's finest (white) filter does not remove much of the debris.  This is not a serious problem since cold crashing seems to settle the hops debris and trub very effectively.  I do not think hop bombs (cages) expose the wort as effectively as loose, distributed dry hopping.

My current optimal solution is:

1. Dry hop with the closest pellet version of the liquid hops proposed.  (See the Shem spreadsheets for comparisons and qualities.)
  2. Always cold crash.  Select custom settings on the droid in order to get the dry-hop option if the recipe does not assume dry hopping.  If you forget to do this, place your brew in Storage mode for a day or so before kegging.

Happy brewing.  😀

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Thagomizer said:
  1. Always cold crash.  Select custom settings on the droid in order to get the dry-hop option if the recipe does not assume dry hopping.  If you forget to do this, place your brew in Storage mode for a day or so before kegging.

If just adding hop pellets to the droid at dry hop time then this is a must. I use a hop bag weight down with 2 or 3 ss ball bearing (10mm dia). When ready to keg I squeeze the bag with a pair of sanitised ss tongs. The bag 95% of the time is now floating on the top so removal/squeezing is easy.

6 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

If just adding hop pellets to the droid at dry hop time then this is a must. I use a hop bag weight down with 2 or 3 ss ball bearing (10mm dia). When ready to keg I squeeze the bag with a pair of sanitised ss tongs. The bag 95% of the time is now floating on the top so removal/squeezing is easy.

SS ball bearings are a great idea to keep the hop bag submerged.  I still like the concept of the hop particles freely mingling with the wort - until it is time to filter them out.  Cold crashing was not an option before the droid.

Happy brewing. 😀

• Upvote 2