2021 Coopers Vintage Ale

• 2 months later...

Ordered in my collection of brews. I remember years ago when Dans first opened and they had some wines to sample and one of these...and the guy was going to pour a sample into one of those plastic shot glasses and I grabbed the stubby out of his hand and necked it ( I was buying a decent selection of reds). Bloody delicious and this was apparently young and ripe (acording to the timeline)

Does this need hops as it doesn't come with any and I remember it having quite a fruity note to the taste

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So with the new tap on the droid ( I will upload a photo of the old tap to show why I needed a new one sometime) the Vintage has been put down. Will this be my first  brew to overflow? A few have come close but we will see.

Given in the past week I did go see the Brewshop guy and he had some citra, it will be done with 15gms of Galaxy, D Bracvo and Citra, trying to stay truish to the 2014 recipe.

Really looking forward to this one even if it'll be quite a few months til I try one

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Excellent, it has reached EOF, dropped 15gms of galaxy, Bravo and Citra. Might bottle it on Friday to give it a few days mixing together. Be interesting to see where it is at at eight weeks with a stubbie, maybe still a bit "spirit" like at that point but yeah, only one way to find that out :)

I reckon it’ll still be fairly boozy at 8 weeks.

But horses for courses of course of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

11 weeks in, it was as long as I could wait to try the first one :)

Still with too much of a hint of alcohol at the moment which is disappointing but not unexpected.

Anyways, 11 weeks too early but there is a huge, huge amount of flavour here, not just the hops but the elements which I believe/hope will settle down into a beer that could become a dessert beer. I am already thinking this is a beer that you brew in October, knowing that when daylight savings end, could be time for a first stubbie, maybe not.

Flavours of sherry and toffee are strong at the moment and the coffee and burnt sugar ain't far behind and then there is the hops which aren't impacting the flavour as much as I thought they would but still, very effing nice if unbalanced. I would not be surprised if this starts coming into its own after a whole year in secondary.

This could be the best beer in the brewprint range...may give an update in another 3 months

IMG_0855.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

11 weeks in, it was as long as I could wait to try the first one :)

Still with too much of a hint of alcohol at the moment which is disappointing but not unexpected.

Anyways, 11 weeks too early but there is a huge, huge amount of flavour here, not just the hops but the elements which I believe/hope will settle down into a beer that could become a dessert beer. I am already thinking this is a beer that you brew in October, knowing that when daylight savings end, could be time for a first stubbie, maybe not.

Flavours of sherry and toffee are strong at the moment and the coffee and burnt sugar ain't far behind and then there is the hops which aren't impacting the flavour as much as I thought they would but still, very effing nice if unbalanced. I would not be surprised if this starts coming into its own after a whole year in secondary.

This could be the best beer in the brewprint range...may give an update in another 3 months

IMG_0855.jpg

I’ve certainly underestimated this beer a few times when out and enjoyed a few too many …

The colour and head look great though and I agree that if you give it some more time it’ll probably hit that sweet spot.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

So I thought I'd wait until near the end to judge it.

The alcohol taste has mellowed, the alcohol content has not. I am drinking on an empty stomach but yeah, nearly finished the pint and would not drive( I mean I could and I'd be bloody amazing at it but ). A lot of lacing on the glass, nice amount of fermentation the flavours have mellowed down and it is nice to drink...maybe would have chosen more citrus type hops or used more hops  but that is at this stage, will finish the last two stubbies by new year and then drink a bottle or two a year to see how it goes. Have read a few people say it hits its peak at year 3 so will get there in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So I thought I'd wait until near the end to judge it.

The alcohol taste has mellowed, the alcohol content has not. I am drinking on an empty stomach but yeah, nearly finished the pint and would not drive( I mean I could and I'd be bloody amazing at it but ). A lot of lacing on the glass, nice amount of fermentation the flavours have mellowed down and it is nice to drink...maybe would have chosen more citrus type hops or used more hops  but that is at this stage, will finish the last two stubbies by new year and then drink a bottle or two a year to see how it goes. Have read a few people say it hits its peak at year 3 so will get there in the end.

Nice timing considering the 2022 was released this week. 👍

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

9 months in, one of two stubbies left and then I have the longnecks to go.

A remarkable improvement in those three months. The last one, it was hard to guage what the hops profile was in it, the alcohol flavour was starting to settle but was still dominant at 6 months but after a few sips of this I am actually really excited to see this at 1 year. No more complaints about the hops profile, it is starting to give a fruity punch to it with a toffee hit as you swish it in your mouth. If this improves by this amount again in 3 months I believe it will be a balanced ale full of tropical fruit flavours but we will see, maybe at that point I will say "maybe at 18 months".

The alcohol flavour isn't as prominent as before though it is still noticable but it is becoming balanced as a drink, just needs a bit more time. Still knocks you about a bit for a pint though :)

IMG_1100.jpg

• Like 1