Brewing Mr. Beer Pennsylvania Traditional Lager

I just started a Batch of Mr Beer Pennsylvania Traditional Lager to run in My Beer Droid

I Added as Recomended a Pack of Booster to the Mix and Topped it up to 10 Litres .

I Chose the Lager Program which called for 

Propagate 70 Degrees

Ferment 54 Degrees

Kegging 64 Degrees

storage 39 Degrees

the Instructions on the Recipe called for fermenting at 70-76 Degrees should I adjust the Fermentation Up ?

Thanks In advance!

Barney

46 minutes ago, Patrick Barnwell said:

BTW the Yeast provided was Safale US-04 Dry Ale Yeast 

Hey Barney,

Yes you can easily modify the fermentation temperature via the app now.

In future you could choose the "Custom" program on a brew like this one and set all of the parameters yourself. For instance you could just copy the standard "Lager" program temperatures (Propogate, Kegging and Storage) but change the fermentation temperature to what is specified by your recipe or yeast.

I hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

I certainly will, I got into this because I enjoy a good Beer and the town i'm in that Means Bud Light ....  since i really dont like drinking something meant for rinsing a womans hair ...  I searched around and discovered craft brewerys and eventually in my travels i found a beer called Yeungling from Pennsylvania which I cant buy in our state ... anyway My idea is to find 2 or 3 of My Favorite recipes and just get those down to a point where they will taste the same every time I brew them .. My first success was Dads Favorite Ale which I added a Packet of Booster, used 3/4 cup of Honey and brewed a full 10 Litre batch.. The  Force carbed Mini Keg was excellent and Im waiting another week or so on the Primed Mini Keg and The swing topped Glass bottles..  BTW on that one I chose the Ale Program and adjusted the Fermentation Temp up to 70 Degrees..  Ill keep Ya'll informed on My progress

Barney 

• Thanks 1

Barney,

I recommend using the lager optimum temperature of 54oF.  This takes advantage of the temperature control feature of the BeerDroid.  I am doing the same thing with a half-batch of Cooper's Lager, also purchased from Mr. Beer.  The instructions are similar; i.e., a high temperature (70oF - 76oF) for lager.  I am going to assume that the supplied yeast will work well at 54oF.  The other half will be brewed with Saflager S-23 yeast, rated for 51oF - 59oF - also at 54oF.  I will eventually report the results.

Many home brewers (without the droid) will have difficulty providing lager-optimum brewing temperatures.  I suspect suppliers tell us to go ahead with the brewing environment we have.  This does produce fairly good beer - but the BeerDroid can do it better.

2 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

Barney,

I recommend using the lager optimum temperature of 54oF.  This takes advantage of the temperature control feature of the BeerDroid.  I am doing the same thing with a half-batch of Cooper's Lager, also purchased from Mr. Beer.  The instructions are similar; i.e., a high temperature (70oF - 76oF) for lager.  I am going to assume that the supplied yeast will work well at 54oF.  The other half will be brewed with Saflager S-23 yeast, rated for 51oF - 59oF - also at 54oF.  I will eventually report the results.

Many home brewers (without the droid) will have difficulty providing lager-optimum brewing temperatures.  I suspect suppliers tell us to go ahead with the brewing environment we have.  This does produce fairly good beer - but the BeerDroid can do it better.

My fermentation has been started.  Apparently, the supplied brewing yeast is amenable to the lower temperature.

I missed this before: You are using Safale s-04 (which is not a lager yeast), but is rated for 59oF to 68oF.  Therefore, I revise my earlier recommendation and suggest raising the temperature to about 65oF.  This may preserve some lager characteristics while still making a good brew.  In the future, I would recommend selecting a lager yeast and brew at a lager-optimum temperature for this recipe. 

You have the BrewDroid.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, just starting to get into this a little deeper...  using mr beer recipes or Brewprints tends to start You out kinda lazy , just follow the recipe directions keep the temps the recipe says and don't bother to learn anything about the process...  on this one I did read up on the yeast and the temp rating but wasn't sure where the optimum point was so I set it for 68 and its now been running for 5 days, should I crank it down or just let it go ..?

7 hours ago, Patrick Barnwell said:

Thanks, just starting to get into this a little deeper...  using mr beer recipes or Brewprints tends to start You out kinda lazy , just follow the recipe directions keep the temps the recipe says and don't bother to learn anything about the process...  on this one I did read up on the yeast and the temp rating but wasn't sure where the optimum point was so I set it for 68 and its now been running for 5 days, should I crank it down or just let it go ..?

As fermentation will have settled I’d leave as is.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:58 PM, Thagomizer said:

My fermentation has been started.  Apparently, the supplied brewing yeast is amenable to the lower temperature.

I missed this before: You are using Safale s-04 (which is not a lager yeast), but is rated for 59oF to 68oF.  Therefore, I revise my earlier recommendation and suggest raising the temperature to about 65oF.  This may preserve some lager characteristics while still making a good brew.  In the future, I would recommend selecting a lager yeast and brew at a lager-optimum temperature for this recipe. 

You have the BrewDroid.

Edited by Thagomizer
wrong date

Yesterday I bottled this brew as the BeerDroid reported End of Fermentation after nine days.  The yeast was still very active.  I had to get each bottle capped within about ten seconds after adding the priming sugar was added to avoid an overflow.  The generic yeast provided with the Cooper's Lager HME was robust enough to thrive at lager temperatures.  The final SG was 1.01.  The initial SG was 1,048 so the ABV should be about 5%.  The initial taste was promising.  These results should assure that the supplied yeast on Coopers' brews is robust and versatile.

I Kegged / Bottled My Beerdroid Batch  of the Pennsylvania Traditional Lager two days ago also after 9 days and again I put 4 Liters in a Mini Keg to Force Carbonate , 4 In another Mini Keg to sugar Prime and Bottled the rest with Mr. Beer Carbonation Drops (Sugar) in flip top Glass bottles... Im trying to zero in on what Gives me the Taste / Mouthfeel Im looking for consistently ... To be Very Honest the last batch I did this way Brewing Dads Favorite Cream Ale showed Little difference between the the Three Methods except for the Sedimate  at the bottom of the Bottles..

So Far Extremely happy with the Process using Mr Beer recipes in the Beerdroid

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

Yesterday I bottled this brew as the BeerDroid reported End of Fermentation after nine days.  The yeast was still very active.  I had to get each bottle capped within about ten seconds after adding the priming sugar was added to avoid an overflow.  The generic yeast provided with the Cooper's Lager HME was robust enough to thrive at lager temperatures.  The final SG was 1.01.  The initial SG was 1,048 so the ABV should be about 5%.  The initial taste was promising.  These results should assure that the supplied yeast on Coopers' brews is robust and versatile.

Are you using PET or glass bottles? Just a concern about the yeast still being very active, was fermentation still happening?

22 minutes ago, Patrick Barnwell said:

I’m using Glass, the Yeast in mine looked like it had run its course… but I’m a little cautious so I do store the bottles in a cardboard box until they go into the the Beer Fridge

Always pay's to do that with glass bottles as any “bottle bombs” can be dangerous and bloody messy.

C3F371D3-DDF9-4520-8774-30765584B0A5.jpeg.48b45b10a904f18fb0f2bb722f076810.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2021 at 1:51 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Are you using PET or glass bottles? Just a concern about the yeast still being very active, was fermentation still happening?

I'm using heavy 16 oz. (500 ml) swing top bottles but I am capping them.  The droid had reported End of Fermentation and prompted me to keg the brew.  In my opinion, the yeast had simply eaten all the available fermentable sugars but was hungry and still ready to go.  I have seen this before with very active yeasts.  The priming sugar (1 tsp or 5 ml) should not have given it enough fuel to cause a problem.  It has been bottled for two weeks and there have been no events.

Thank you for your concern.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen 

Im preparing to start another batch of   Mr. Beer Pennsylvania Traditional Lager, I’m trying to drill down to get it right and repeatable , in my first several recipes in the BeerDroid I’ve used Dasani water and when I kegged it I did 4 liters in a keg for force carbonation, 4 Liters in another that was Sugar primed and the balance in glass flip top bottles with Mr. Beer carb drops..

the beer from all three methods tasted the same so from here on out I’ll keg into a 3 Gallon corny keg for force carbonation. 
also I’ve put up three gallons of tap water in the fridge to use instead of Dasani bottled water.

so this time I’m asking “Before” I begin brewing for any suggestions as far as custom temps using  the provided Safale US-04 Dry Ale Yeast

25 minutes ago, Patrick Barnwell said:

Gentlemen 

Im preparing to start another batch of   Mr. Beer Pennsylvania Traditional Lager, I’m trying to drill down to get it right and repeatable , in my first several recipes in the BeerDroid I’ve used Dasani water and when I kegged it I did 4 liters in a keg for force carbonation, 4 Liters in another that was Sugar primed and the balance in glass flip top bottles with Mr. Beer carb drops..

the beer from all three methods tasted the same so from here on out I’ll keg into a 3 Gallon corny keg for force carbonation. 
also I’ve put up three gallons of tap water in the fridge to use instead of Dasani bottled water.

so this time I’m asking “Before” I begin brewing for any suggestions as far as custom temps using  the provided Safale US-04 Dry Ale Yeast

Hi Patrick. As this recipe is a lager have you considered using a lager yeast and brew on the lager program which ferments at 12C (53F)? Alternatively the US-04 ale yeast will still ferment at 15C (59F) so use the custom program - set it at propagation 22C (71F), fermentation 15C (59F), keg 18C (64F), store 4C (39F).

How is your tap water quality wise? Is it high in chlorine?

Cheers

35 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Patrick. As this recipe is a lager have you considered using a lager yeast and brew on the lager program which ferments at 12C (53F)? Alternatively the US-04 ale yeast will still ferment at 15C (59F) so use the custom program - set it at propagation 22C (71F), fermentation 15C (59F), keg 18C (64F), store 4C (39F).

How is your tap water quality wise? Is it high in chlorine?

Cheers

Currently our water seems fine, in the spring they punch up the chlorine.. I would avoid using it then..  if this turns out good I may stock up some tap water in the beer fridge, I’ve got plenty of room since I’m moving to using just a couple 3 gallon corny kegs instead of 5 mini kegs.

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL YA’LL Down Under!

1 minute ago, Patrick Barnwell said:

Currently our water seems fine, in the spring they punch up the chlorine.. I would avoid using it then..  if this turns out good I may stock up some tap water in the beer fridge, I’ve got plenty of room since I’m moving to using just a couple 3 gallon corny kegs instead of 5 mini kegs.

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL YA’LL Down Under!

Thanks and a great New Year to you and your family.

You missed the main response about the yeast, your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Thanks and a great New Year to you and your family.

You missed the main response about the yeast, your thoughts?

Whoops, I think I’m going with the provided ale yeast this time, but I am going to order another yeast for my next batch.. I forgot that was recommended the last time and we don’t have any local brew shops to buy locally 😎👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Patrick,

I see that your Mr. Beer’s Pennsylvania Traditional Lager is a partial mash recipe.  The provided yeast (discard whatever is under the can lid) is SafAle US-04.  This is a top-fermenting yeast that likes warmer temperatures: (70o – 76o)F or (21o – 24o)C.  This is an Ale yeast regardless of the brew name.  However, it will produce a fine beer, Just follow the instructions.  Mr. Beer makes good products.

I am assuming that they do not know you have the BrewDroid and could brew at proper lager temperatures.  Therefore, they give you the ale choice which is more amenable to the higher temperatures to which most home brewers are limited

I suspect that our brewing worts are impartial to our yeast selections and will respond to the yeast and the temperature environment provided.

If it were my brew, I would be tempted to follow all instructions except to use a lager yeast and set the Droid to a lager configuration.  However, you will get a good brew either way.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

Patrick,

I see that your Mr. Beer’s Pennsylvania Traditional Lager is a partial mash recipe.  The provided yeast (discard whatever is under the can lid) is SafAle US-04.  This is a top-fermenting yeast that likes warmer temperatures: (70 – 76)F or (21 – 24)C.  This is an Ale yeast regardless of the brew name.  However, it will produce a fine beer, Just follow the instructions.  Mr. Beer makes good products.

I am assuming that they do not know you have the BrewDroid and could brew at proper lager temperatures.  Therefore they give you the ale choice which is more amenable to the higher temperatures to which most home brewers are limited

I suspect that our brewing worts are impartial to our yeast selections and will respond to the yeast and the temperature environment provided.

If it were my brew, I would be tempted to follow all instructions except to use a lager yeast and set the Droit to a lager configuration.  However, you will get a good brew either way.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

Patrick,

I see that your Mr. Beer’s Pennsylvania Traditional Lager is a partial mash recipe.  The provided yeast (discard whatever is under the can lid) is SafAle US-04.  This is a top-fermenting yeast that likes warmer temperatures: (70 – 76)F or (21 – 24)C.  This is an Ale yeast regardless of the brew name.  However, it will produce a fine beer, Just follow the instructions.  Mr. Beer makes good products.

I am assuming that they do not know you have the BrewDroid and could brew at proper lager temperatures.  Therefore they give you the ale choice which is more amenable to the higher temperatures to which most home brewers are limited

If it were my brew, I would be tempted to follow all instructions except to use a lager yeast and set the Droit to a lager configuration.  However, you will get a good brew either way.

Cheers.

well I think I'm going with the Captains suggested custom temps this round & I went ahead and ordered some Lager yeast for my next batch... thanks All for the Advice..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2