Spunding Valves - (for cornelius style keg posts)

These are extremely useful gauges for Cornelius/iKegger style kegs.

1) can be used to check accuracy of your Co2 regulators

2) if you have over carbonated a keg, attach and set at desired serving pressure, gas pressure over that setting will be released from the keg.

3) used on various pressure fermenters to achieve dispensing pressure

4) check pressures with keg to keg transfers and use to release gas in receiving keg if not linking the gas posts, post to post.

5) great to confirm dispensing pressures of kegs in your fridge- example as I have 3 non return valves between the regulator and the keg c02 in (at reg, at manifold and at the gas disconnect) to achieve 10psi dispensing pressure my regulator is set at nearly 16psi. Now I’m not losing 6 psi it’s just the pressure need to open all 3 non return valves.

6) sometimes fermentation can continue in the keg, if going to use that keg for consuming then it doesn’t matter as Co2 produced will be absorbed when placed in the fridge and chilled.

However if fermentation happens in the keg and you want to do keg to keg transfer then there is an issue as if you don’t get rid of the pressure you will only transfer foam.
So as I use the Ikegger 10l kegs for maturing brews and then transfer to a fridge useable keg (the 10l Ikegger don’t suit my setup) I set the spunding valve at about 5psi, any additional Co2 will automatically be removed. So when I’m ready to transfer it’s a no issue and just beer goes into the receiving keg.

The photos below show two different types of valves. The bag on one of them you ask, sometimes I want to know if excess Co2 is being removed (ie fermentation happening) so the bag is put on flat, no air. It’s just a good indicator and as you can see some gas has been released.ED4D85DF-406C-4AB7-A365-E2861FA97791.thumb.jpeg.b10fb72673b23b33968a498069230256.jpegE923457C-9ED9-49B2-84E4-C9BD012614AA.thumb.jpeg.9eba7f1eed1eacd62837f4c3233123be.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

5) great to confirm dispensing pressures of kegs in your fridge- example as I have 3 non return valves between the regulator and the keg c02 in (at reg, at manifold and at the gas disconnect) to achieve 10psi dispensing pressure my 

regulator is set at nearly 16psi. Now I’m not losing 6 psi it’s just the pressure need to open all 3 non return valves.

I need to qualify this, the high 16psi is due to the fact that I’m running 4 Co2 lines to 4 kegs. So the non return valves are are 1 for the regulator, and then 2 (manifold & non return disconnect) non return valves for each of 4 kegs. That is, if only do 2 kegs, regulator pressure would be less.

• Thanks 2

Hey @Captain 3 Droids , this is my current thought as well so glad you brought it up before i could ask lol. I am about to upgrade to a 6kg cylinder from the sodastream set up. So you use the blowties in line with your regulator , i was thinking i should do the same. Do you think you get better results wkth carb that way . I will only have 2 gas lines as well  ( likely only 1 connected at a time) 

17 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Hey @Captain 3 Droids , this is my current thought as well so glad you brought it up before i could ask lol. I am about to upgrade to a 6kg cylinder from the sodastream set up. So you use the blowties in line with your regulator , i was thinking i should do the same. Do you think you get better results wkth carb that way . I will only have 2 gas lines as well  ( likely only 1 connected at a time) 

(Thanks Dustin, I did google it to no avail)

No I don’t use it in line with the regulator, would be no advantage or necessity. At the moment I’m using them to regulate the keg pressure in the kegs whilst the beer matures before keg to keg transfer.

Is there any particular reason why you would only connect one keg at a time? 

On 26/11/2021 at 7:46 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

(Thanks Dustin, I did google it to no avail)

No I don’t use it in line with the regulator, would be no advantage or necessity. At the moment I’m using them to regulate the keg pressure in the kegs whilst the beer matures before keg to keg transfer.

Is there any particular reason why you would only connect one keg at a time? 

Just depends on my conditioning and drinking moods lol. I do have a stout on tap atm which as delicious as it is wish i had a keg of a decent lager or Ale to enjoy lol. Very heavy after a couple of pints. Just running through some bottle stock while i wait for my tiger beer to condition lol 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

@Captain 3 Droids my spunding valve arrived today but I’m on the way to Brisbane for a few days work …

So whilst I have some time to think about how I’ll use this handy device, can you please clarify something for me?

I’ve been carbonating my kegs using primer bricks to date and am almost through my stash. Several kegs have been a little over carbonated/foamy and I’ve remedied this by burping them.

If I now use the spunding valve instead to check or correct the keg pressure, what am I aiming for?

I have a carbonation chart but am I correct in saying that this shows the volume of CO2 that you’re attempting to achieve in the solution as opposed to the pressure in the keg? Or is this just two methods of conveying the same data?

I have my serving CO2 bottle set between 8 and 10psi and get good pours with this.

Do I just connect the spunding valve to the fresh cold keg and set 10psi to vent pressure above that limit or is it a little more nuanced than that?

24 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

@Captain 3 Droids my spunding valve arrived today but I’m on the way to Brisbane for a few days work …

So whilst I have some time to think about how I’ll use this handy device, can you please clarify something for me?

I’ve been carbonating my kegs using primer bricks to date and am almost through my stash. Several kegs have been a little over carbonated/foamy and I’ve remedied this by burping them.

If I now use the spunding valve instead to check or correct the keg pressure, what am I aiming for?

I have a carbonation chart but am I correct in saying that this shows the volume of CO2 that you’re attempting to achieve in the solution as opposed to the pressure in the keg? Or is this just two methods of conveying the same data?

I have my serving CO2 bottle set between 8 and 10psi and get good pours with this.

Do I just connect the spunding valve to the fresh cold keg and set 10psi to vent pressure above that limit or is it a little more nuanced than that?

Your on the right track, Set the spunding valve to your dispensing pressure. Do this when the keg is cold as if it is over carbonated from the priming blocks prior to chilling then the chilling will absorb most of it.

You can  also set it at dispensing pressure outside the kegerator for the next one to go in. This will mean no over carbonation when putting the keg into the kegerator and attaching your Co2 line.

When not using primer blocks you can purge your kegs at dispensing pressure and when your going to use a keg soon attach the spunding valve at dispensing pressure incase some fermentation has continued in the keg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1