Worst Beer?

Gillies Brewing

Still killing time while my droid sits in Cairns 😅

What's everyone's least favourite (commercial) beer? I looked and there hasn't been a thread for it.

I don't think you can get worse than Iron Jack, it's just bad yellow water. I had it once when it came out and was on introductory price, then once more when they made the stronger one which tasted just as watery.

Anyone else got more Hall of Shamers?

• Upvote 3

Iron Jack. I reckon it is one of those beers that tried to ride the wave of Carlton Dry and Hahn Super Dry, which quite frankly was a wave that should not have started. Anyways, I guess a pint of Carlton Dry isn't terrible but it isn't something I will purchase.

So, one day Mrs C was up in Adelaide working so I took the kids to their favourite pub ( the one that has an indoor playground and makes chicken nuggets. I play it safe there and just get a Chicken Snitz...no topping, I wouldn't trust them, I reckon a crumbed piece of protein, deep fried with an under serve of chips is the level they are.

I go to get a pint and they have a sign up "Iron Jack, $4 an Imperial"...well, I'm nothing if not a tight arse so I went, giddy up, got a big pint, too a big swig and nearly spat it out. I took it back and said that I thought the tap might be contaminated. The guy was really good and said that he'd give me a stubby to see if that was better and I could have another on the house. I opened the stubby and took a swig...nup, just the worst beer ever. There is absolutely no redeeming feature with that beer, it tastes like it is infected.

I can remember kinda laughing at people who drank Carlton Cold because it had no real feature to it but at least it was innofensive, Iron Jack is just the worst..and strangely, they sell it by the pallet

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind an occasional Superdry because it's smooth as, but it's not got the goods to justify its premium price given the current market. Carlton Dry has to be pretty low in the rank too.

For some reason I despise 150 lashes. I don't mind a proper IPA but it's just in the wrong spot of thinking it's craft beer but not tasting good enough. It just doesn't taste right. I'd rather have a tap XXXX, at least it knows what it is.

Then there's genuinely good craft beers that just aren't my jam and I struggle to finish. Had a few of them from Brisbane breweries Slipstream and Ballistic that I went to a bit. Some stouts that are pure coffee and I hate coffee, some IIPAs that are just too bitter and hoppy for poor baby me. 

CreamyRegularGar-size_restricted.gif.13750372866a1371d4e42facd6fbe865.gif

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

For some reason I despise 150 lashes. I don't mind a proper IPA but it's just in the wrong spot of thinking it's craft beer but not tasting good enough. It just doesn't taste right. I'd rather have a tap XXXX, at least it knows what it is.

James Squires went to crap once it was bought out (probably Lion Nathan). I am probably looking back 20 years now and not trying to oversell it but the beers did well in a limited craft market. I tried their new pilsner "Broken Shackles" back on Fathers Day at a restaurant (after they decided to cut Session Ale from the fridge...the buggers) and it was watery, underhopped, no real flavour to it at all, just a real disappoinment.  

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

150 Lashes was a decent "craft" beer back in the day. We even served it at our wedding. Go figure.

Most Queensland domestic beer is rubbish but Queenslanders don't care as they're generally shoeless, shirtless and passed out by 7pm anyway. That said, XXXX Bitter off the wood at the Brekky Creek hotel is the goods. Glad I tried that before leaving Brisbogan ... ;) 

Queensland has some fantastic craft breweries though and so that's another story altogether.

Melbourne Bitter is pretty bad. I don't care that it had a renaissance with the cool kids recently. It was cheap foamy crap ... that's why they would put it in band riders ... Would rather a fresh Vic Bitter on draught or even an ice cold can. Carlton Draught was great before they started fermenting it super quick. I think the worst hangovers I've ever experienced were after a session of Carlton Draught post recipe change.

Tooheys New is up there. Any of the 'Dry" beers. Sorry, even Coopers Dry. Any of the "Cold" beers ... jeeezus.

But as far as Aussie domestic beers go, the winner has to go to Empire Lager. CUB's quick foray into the youth/nightclub beer market. I met my wife over a few cartons of Empire back in the 00's. We still laugh about it.

Oh well ...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of QLD beers I have a bone to pick with Great Northern. Nothing to do with taste.

It maintains its "Northern" image quite successfully, and speaking from as far North as you can get (I live up the street from Australia's most northerly pub), the more northern you get, the more greatly people identify with it, but it is a fraud!

Although CUB used to make Cairns Draught in Cairns, since they started Great Northern up it's actually brewed even further south (Yatala, Gold Coast) than XXXX (Milton, Brisbane).

Curiously they also recently changed their slogan from "The beer from up here" to "The beer *for* up here"... 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Although CUB used to make Cairns Draught in Cairns, since they started Great Northern up it's actually brewed even further south (Yatala, Gold Coast) than XXXX (Milton, Brisbane).

Doesn't the Great Northern brand use the old Cairns Draught logo? And yes it's p155!

I miss staying in Cairns regularly for work. A visit to Hemmingways was always on the agenda.

• Upvote 1