Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - All grain brew

Bit of a slow start this morning as have been working far too much lately.

This is a much simpler recipe than the Pirate Life Pale Ale that I tried first, so I'm hoping it will go just as smoothly.

Attached is the Brewfather recipe for anyone interested, and I'll put a few photos up later today if I can get my iPhone camera working again.

Brewfather_Batch2_20220106.pdf

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

crush.thumb.jpg.3bfbbcd854afa23f9f278f637f60ba82.jpg

mash.thumb.jpg.6da2bf17a487c6c59c14fe389a72ef6b.jpg

chilling.thumb.jpg.a2c8ce9761d39bbdf426ddc556e91ba5.jpg

tree.thumb.jpg.e9beab9261fc46fe4e209a8639b046a4.jpg

Brew day went quite well. I was perhaps less organised than the first one owing to the recipe being a little simpler.

I had difficulty getting 10L of wort to the Droid again so I think the equipment profile in Brewfather is not quite accurate. I'll have to tinker with it to generate a little more wort in order to reach the target. Perhaps whoever added the parameters did so based off the original Braumeister 10L and my new model is ever so slightly different.

Even after a full wipe and rebuild my iPhone has some sort of camera software bug that is affecting the focus, so I'll have to wait for Mr Apple to release an update to fix it. I have limited photos but really they are all the same as the last brew anyway.

I'm so impressed with the kettle's cooling jacket. I ran the hose out the window to a joiner and then onto a bigger hose with a little sprinkler head attached so the mandarin tree got its weekly soaking whilst my wort was cooling down.

I was also smarter this time when setting up the custom brew parameters on the Droid. I got the wort in at about 30 degrees and then set propagation for 21C, went out for a walk and by the time we were home an hour later it was ready to pitch the yeast at 21C. It's now sitting there doing it's thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I ran the hose out the window to a joiner and then onto a bigger hose with a little sprinkler head attached so the mandarin tree got its weekly soaking whilst my wort was cooling down.

Great use of the water. Out of interest do you know how many litres of water you go through. If not how long does it run for.

(Ps with your engineering skills you could work out the litres, id of hose, length, time. Or flow rate x time🤔🤭😅)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Great use of the water. Out of interest do you know how many litres of water you go through. If not how long does it run for.

(Ps with your engineering skills you could work out the litres, id of hose, length, time. Or flow rate x time🤔🤭😅)

I will have a go at working it out next time.

It is quite efficient though. One of the great things about a smaller kettle is how quickly you can get the wort down to temperature. At a guess it was down under 50C within about 15 min.

We have a sizeable garden and several fruit trees so I'm going to make it part of the routine that they get their deep soaking whenever I make a batch. We'd have to use that water on them anyway so it's a zero sum game.

That said I have apricots the size of apples at the moment and as the wife doesn't like them, more than I know what to do with!

Apricot weissbier anyone? 🤗

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I will have a go at working it out next time.

It is quite efficient though. One of the great things about a smaller kettle is how quickly you can get the wort down to temperature. At a guess it was down under 50C within about 15 min.

We have a sizeable garden and several fruit trees so I'm going to make it part of the routine that they get their deep soaking whenever I make a batch. We'd have to use that water on them anyway so it's a zero sum game.

That said I have apricots the size of apples at the moment and as the wife doesn't like them, more than I know what to do with!

Apricot weissbier anyone? 🤗

When I was chilling after a brew in the Robobrew I used to keep the water in cubes and use on the next brew. I used about 60l to chill 25l of wort.

40l set aside for next brew and 20l of super hot water for wash up.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hambone said:

When I was chilling after a brew in the Robobrew I used to keep the water in cubes and use on the next brew. I used about 60l to chill 25l of wort.

I should stick my brewing jug under the kitchen tap and start a timer to check the flow rate. We have an inline filter so that slows it a little, and the garden tap connector thing I fitted adds a little more resistance.

On second thought, with the price of water in SA I probably don't really want to know ... at least the fruit on the trees will be good.

24 hours in and the brew is bubbling away nicely in the Droid so I must have done something right again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...