5 days in, no fermentation detected

Rob Courtney

only noticed this morning, last three days have stated "Error Fermentation start not detected" and this morning just fermentation start not detected. Pretty sure I put yeast in it but...I did put everything in and then forgot to start brewing for a day which is the only thing I did which was out of the norm

Any ideas

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

only noticed this morning, last three days have stated "Error Fermentation start not detected" and this morning just fermentation start not detected. Pretty sure I put yeast in it but...I did put everything in and then forgot to start brewing for a day which is the only thing I did which was out of the norm

Any ideas

Any bubbling via the viewing window? If not you may have to lift the lid and check for bubbles, krausen ring condensation on the lid. 
If no activity or sign of fermentation ie flat as a pancake then you may have missed the yeast. If so add yeast and restart the brewing process.

Do you stocktake to ascertain if yeast used?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Any bubbling via the viewing window? If not you may have to lift the lid and check for bubbles, krausen ring condensation on the lid. 
If no activity or sign of fermentation ie flat as a pancake then you may have missed the yeast. If so add yeast and restart the brewing process.

Do you stocktake to ascertain if yeast used?

I'm certain I used yeast, I can remember doing it but there is no activity going on at all

45 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

It does now that I have looked it up, so is it time to chuck it, give the droid 24 hours of PBW soaking and then start again?

Well no, may not be necessary. pellicle on the surface is in many cases not an issue as to what’s underneath. It does not necessarily cause sourness or tartness to the brew. Smell, taste will tell you a lot. You have probably dumped it already however many do in a rush/horror before doing a bit of research. The pic shows the “web” is surface attached, it’s what is underneath that counts.

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Well no, may not be necessary. pellicle on the surface is in many cases not an issue as to what’s underneath. It does not necessarily cause sourness or tartness to the brew. Smell, taste will tell you a lot. You have probably dumped it already however many do in a rush/horror before doing a bit of research. The pic shows the “web” is surface attached, it’s what is underneath that counts.

Haven't dumped it yet, will have a sample then...if I die, it's on you...:)

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Getting dumped now though...didn't smell too bad but the taste was sour with a real chemical after taste. That sort of wash your mouth out with half a dozen mouthfulls of water tatse

That sour could well dissipate whilst maturing however you Blue Lake water spoilt people couldn’t hack that.😂🍋🍋Many a brew before maturity/ carbonation don’t taste that hot. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Sounds akin to scraping the top off a piece of burnt toast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

That sour could well dissipate whilst maturing however you Blue Lake water spoilt people couldn’t hack that.😂🍋🍋Many a brew before maturity/ carbonation don’t taste that hot. 

Nope, that was really bad, best not waiting another 5 or 6 days to then dump it

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Couldn’t you bottle it and give to people you don’t like, boss etc. No that’s nasty only joking 🤥🤥🤥

Ha

Actually get along really well with my boss and their boss. I don't give time to people I don't like anymore, a thing my dad said once stuck with me when he said he didn't argue with people , if people had an opinion you didn't like, no matter how well you presented an argument to prove that their view was incorrect, they'd still believe it. I spent so much of my time in my 20s banging my head against a wall with stupid people, it is a waste of energy. Now if someone says one plus one = three, I'm all "sure it is" and just walk away, it's just easier.

It is something I cherish about this forum, everyone just laughs at everything, nothing is taken serously.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1