BeerDroid has just died, no power/no response

After working faithfully for the past 5 months or so, my Droid has just suddenly died.

Been in meetings all morning and checked my phone to see a message in the App that the "BeerDroid connection lost" as at 10:43 this morning.

Go into the kitchen where it sits and it's as dead as a Dodo. Did the usual things

Switched off and on at the back of the Droid, nothing

Switched off and on at the power point, nothing

Moved plug to another power point, nothing

Checked power point using coffee machine and it is fine, no issues

WIll try to find another power cord but thinking that is unlikely to be the issue. Looks to me like the Droid is now dead 😭

Half way thru brewing my all grain 3M Hazy IPA. This really, really sucks!

Any other suggestions from the old and wise heads in this forum?

@BrewArt Team

1 hour ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Any other suggestions from the old and wise heads in this forum?

Your beer will be ok.

It's likely to be the power cord so just steal one from something else - computer, kettle, slow cooker etc, or duck out to Jaycar this afternoon and grab one.

Failing that call Brewart 1300 240 242

It's under warranty so in the unlikely event that something has died they'll either fix or replace for you.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Your beer will be ok.

It's likely to be the power cord so just steal one from something else - computer, kettle, slow cooker etc, or duck out to Jaycar this afternoon and grab one.

Failing that call Brewart 1300 240 242

It's under warranty so in the unlikely event that something has died they'll either fix or replace for you.

Tested with another power cord, one that I know works as it's for my computer and...

No luck, the Droid is still dead.

My guess is that the high humidity we've had in Sydney these past couple of weeks and the constant rain the past week, have something to do with it.

I've called the BrewArt support line 3 times already and it just goes to Liam's voicemail.

So gutted as my AG 3M Hazy IPA has been in there for almost 3 full days.

We've turned the apartment A/C on turning it down as low as possible trying to lower the ambient temperature and humidity in the hope that this might help.

I doubt it as I think the Droid is now dead and likely the motherboard/controller has failed.

Thoughts as to how I can finish fermenting my Hazy?

3 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

I've called the BrewArt support line 3 times already and it just goes to Liam's voicemail.

Ok, try the Contact Us form via the app then as they still have the notation regarding working from home.

Just ferment it out old school like a "dumb" fermenter.  The Droids are quite thermally efficient so It'll probably be just fine.

p.s. stop breaking mirrors, walking under ladders and kicking black cats mate!

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

p.s. stop breaking mirrors, walking under ladders and kicking black cats mate!

Well there goes all my planned fun activities for the weekend, what's a man to do if he can't break mirrors, walked repeatedly under ladders and nothing beats kicking and crossing black cats.

Oh well, might just have to watch TV and drink beer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Well there goes all my planned fun activities for the weekend, what's a man to do if he can't break mirrors, walked repeatedly under ladders and nothing beats kicking and crossing black cats.

That's regular light entertainment up there in Shitnee ain't it?

It's not like anyone could afford to do much else. 😛

• Haha 1

Got a hold of Liam yesterday and will be sending the Droid back to them in the hopes it can be fixed.

Why fixed and not replaced, there isn't a new droid in Australia and none expected until the end of April.

Will keg my all grain Hazy that's in the Droid today and will take the dead Droid to the post office later today if it ever stops raining in Sydney.

This also means I will be without a fermenter for my 3rd all grain which I plan on brewing this weekend. Bugger!

6 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Got a hold of Liam yesterday and will be sending the Droid back to them in the hopes it can be fixed.

Why fixed and not replaced, there isn't a new droid in Australia and none expected until the end of April.

Will keg my all grain Hazy that's in the Droid today and will take the dead Droid to the post office later today if it ever stops raining in Sydney.

This also means I will be without a fermenter for my 3rd all grain which I plan on brewing this weekend. Bugger!

Hopefully the fix will be quick. In the meantime can you go back to the plastic fermenter method. You could then do a 20l all grain brew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hopefully the fix will be quick. In the meantime can you go back to the plastic fermenter method. You could then do a 20l all grain brew.

I'm hoping so. But was also hoping to avoid the cost of a plastic fermenter. A bucket is cheap but then what do you do with it after? My wife wouldn't like the idea of a bucket that then sits in our storage cage after the Droid returns.

And to be honest, if the Droid can't be Frankenstein'd, then I might look at one of those Fermzilla conical fermenters and ferment under pressure to really focus on the Hazy IPAs and NEIPAs that I so love.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

@Wazza_wantsbeerI’m sure you have already but on the off chance that you haven’t, do some reading up on fermenting under pressure with regards to brewing NEIPAs/Hazy IPAs.

The results from the professionals appear to suggest it’s not recommended for the style.

🍻

I am looking into that very thing right now. Seems to be those who favour and those who don't. A bit of a mixed bag but I'm checking it out for sure.

On 04/03/2022 at 1:31 PM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Tested with another power cord, one that I know works as it's for my computer and...

No luck, the Droid is still dead.

My guess is that the high humidity we've had in Sydney these past couple of weeks and the constant rain the past week, have something to do with it.

So gutted as my AG 3M Hazy IPA has been in there for almost 3 full days.

We've turned the apartment A/C on turning it down as low as possible trying to lower the ambient temperature and humidity in the hope that this might help.

I doubt it as I think the Droid is now dead and likely the motherboard/controller has failed.

I lost power due to a falling branch breaking my power cable to the house and pulling the mounting off. No power for 40 days and I was like 3 days into a brew and Droid room temp was 36 deg C+. I relocated the full droid to the coolest part of the house ( no aircon anywhere) and the brew turn out great after allowing for a reasonable fermentation time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1