Abbey Dubbel

Abbey went in after the Spoke came out.

Honestly no idea what to expect, as I've never had a trappist style beer or a dubbel before. I do hear they're meant to be some of the best beers in the world though, so big shoes to fill. I'm surprised it didn't have any DH/Sachets.

The reviews on the store site were pretty great, but interestingly no topic in the forum yet. Fair few mentions from the old days, but if history has been anything to go by no topic is not a great sign...

I'm fairly sure this is going to need a few months conditioning, and I'm fully prepped for a spill.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Abbey went in after the Spoke came out.

Honestly no idea what to expect, as I've never had a trappist style beer or a dubbel before. I do hear they're meant to be some of the best beers in the world though, so big shoes to fill. I'm surprised it didn't have any DH/Sachets.

The reviews on the store site were pretty great, but interestingly no topic in the forum yet. Fair few mentions from the old days, but if history has been anything to go by no topic is not a great sign...

I'm fairly sure this is going to need a few months conditioning, and I'm fully prepped for a spill.

Yeah likely to be a boozy one. So bottle it up once done and forget about it for a while.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 5 weeks later...

Droid is delayed until May but I've decided to give this one a go in a 15L plastic fermenter whilst shed temps are mild but not freezing. Little bit concerned at the total IBU considering the style of beer but we will see how we go.

• Like 2

For reference, this has been in cold storage for like 4 weeks. Life got in the way for a bit with work and all that, then I was tired, then I was hurriedly packing for my holiday, then I've been in Bintangland with my partner for 10 days. I'll be home over the Easter break and hopefully finally get it all bottled up then.

I minimised my booze consumption over lent, which unfortunately also minimised some of my interest in booze creation. Luckily all that business ends on Sunday so hopefully it'll be full steam ahead!

• Like 2

Mine seems to have fermented out ok. Some really funky smells from the left over yeast but the beer itself tasted find after carbonation. Again I seem to have fluked a good temperature for fermentation because there is a lovely banana taste to the beer. Hopefully my droid arrives soon because getting a consistent flavour from the yeast is something I want to dial in. I'm tempted to use this yeast instead of the wheat one in my next attempt at a dunkelweizen.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Mine seems to have fermented out ok. Some really funky smells from the left over yeast but the beer itself tasted find after carbonation. Again I seem to have fluked a good temperature for fermentation because there is a lovely banana taste to the beer.

Yours may be a little extra funky and banana-y (esters) because of the temperature.

I had a little tasty taste of mine out of the droid to make sure it hadn't gone bad in storage before I left and didn't notice much of those flavours but I'll have a proper squiz when I bottle it this weekend

• Like 1

I've got the Abbey Dubbel ready to go into the Droid today.

One thing that surprised me with this one is that it's only 6.5% out of the box.

To my mind, a good Trappist should be stronger than that so I'm going to be adding 250g of Dextrose and 250g of brown sugar for an end of fermentation ABV of around 8.5%. Then will bottle with some dextrose to get a 9% final ABV.

The plan is to warm up, but not boil, about a litre of water to dissolve both types of sugar before putting into the Droid. I'm also going to add a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient when dissolving the sugar.

Let's see how this turns out.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

To my mind, a good Trappist should be stronger than that so I'm going to be adding 250g of Dextrose and 250g of brown sugar for an end of fermentation ABV of around 8.5%.

I'd be wary of the old brown sugar there. Once your yeast munches up the sugar, what's left is pretty much molasses and I can speak from experience saying molasses beer is not nice. But I know you like to do your reading so maybe you've got something up your sleeve here...

• Thanks 1

Finally bottled mine today.

Tasted honestly a bit watery coming out of the droid. Maybe it's just my tongue today, or maybe in the 4ish weeks in storage mode since I put the hop packet in some of that aroma dissipated

Either way, hopefully it will be nice with some bubbles in it. I'll try one in a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2022 at 11:38 AM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

I've got the Abbey Dubbel ready to go into the Droid today.

One thing that surprised me with this one is that it's only 6.5% out of the box.

To my mind, a good Trappist should be stronger than that so I'm going to be adding 250g of Dextrose and 250g of brown sugar for an end of fermentation ABV of around 8.5%. Then will bottle with some dextrose to get a 9% final ABV.

The plan is to warm up, but not boil, about a litre of water to dissolve both types of sugar before putting into the Droid. I'm also going to add a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient when dissolving the sugar.

Let's see how this turns out.

Dubbels aren't normally overly strong beers, but tripels and quads are.

I took the keg away for Easter and after some extensive sampling the committee decided that serving temperature makes a huge difference. If you serve this at fridge temperature you lose a lot of the taste. Around 7-8c those banana flavours come back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Wolf said:

If you serve this at fridge temperature you lose a lot of the taste. Around 7-8c those banana flavours come back.

I wonder if that's why mine was pretty watery in my sample from the droid.

I think the extended stay at 4oc has left my yeasties feeling pretty sleepy because the bottles all still have their little divots from squeezing the air out 24hrs later, which usually has been replaced by CO2 by now.

12 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I wonder if that's why mine was pretty watery in my sample from the droid.

I think the extended stay at 4oc has left my yeasties feeling pretty sleepy because the bottles all still have their little divots from squeezing the air out 24hrs later, which usually has been replaced by CO2 by now.

I doesn’t surprise me that carbonation will be slower than usual as the yeast would have gone to sleep and as there isn’t a great deal in the bottle when filled the activity in the yeast multiplying will be slow.

• Upvote 2

On 19/04/2022 at 6:03 PM, Wolf said:

Dubbels aren't normally overly strong beers, but tripels and quads are.

I took the keg away for Easter and after some extensive sampling the committee decided that serving temperature makes a huge difference. If you serve this at fridge temperature you lose a lot of the taste. Around 7-8c those banana flavours come back.

Going to have to disagree with this one. Abbey Dubbels, based on a lot of research, start at 6.5% but go up to 9+%. On average, the ABV for commercial Dubbel's would be 7.5% so a full 1% higher than the BrewArt version.

Anyway, after some delay due to a chest cold and a bit of a rethink based on the advice above from @Gillies Brewing and @Captain 3 Droids , I got the Abbey Dubbel into the Droid on Saturday.

Went with an additional 375 g of Dextrose and left out the brown sugar altogether. So expected ABV for this one post fermentation would be 8% with another .5% added in secondary fermentation.

I have to say that is smells pretty damn awesome now at 5 days into the fermentation.

For the Dextrose, I just dissolved it in warm water with a 1/3 teaspoon of yeast nutrient to give it a nice boost. And boost it did, spewing out the port late Sunday evening. The most impressive spew so far with the Droid for me. Fortunately, it was anticipated so I had positioned the Droid over the sink making clean up a breeze.

The majority of this brew will be a gift to a good mate who loves his Belgian beers and yes, he prefers his on the stronger side so I plan on bottling 6l or 8 750 ml bottles and keg or bottle (as yet undecided) 4l for myself.

One thing about this BrewPrint, it seems quite alien to me now not having to worry about adding hops.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bottled this today.

Only a 8 day fermentation as I wasn't ready to bottle it so I put it into Storage mode for 24 hours.

Not sure how a "cold crash" will go for this as the predetermined program goes straight to kegging without a cold crash.

As I am always interested in these things soI tested the Final Gravity of the beer after pulling a 250ml sample and letting it come to room temp and it read 1.001 which is damn impressive.

Guessing this has ended at around 7.25%. As every drop was bottled using Dextrose as the primer, I'm picking a Post Secondary around 7.75% ABV which I think is the sweet spot for a Dubbel.

Tasting sample was really enjoyable as well I might add.

Ended up with 14 full 750ml bottles so the plan is to give away 6 bottles to a great mate and cousin-in-law who loves his Abbey Ales.

2 bottles to my brother-in-law and 4 bottles to my brother who arrives back in Sydney this week after living in Vancouver for the past 6 years.

And of course keep a couple of bottles for us.

Will let this bottle condition for at least 8 weeks before giving them to their intended recipient.

Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Guessing this has ended at around 7.25%. As every drop was bottled using Dextrose as the primer, I'm picking a Post Secondary around 7.75% ABV which I think is the sweet spot for a Dubbel.

Correcting myself as clearly my math was off this morning.

As I added 375g of Dextrose I'm guessing ABV from the droid is 8.0%.

Given 250g of Dextrose adds 1% to the final ABV, 375g should add 1.5%.

Post Secondary would make it 8.5% so one to be shared in front of a fireplace.

And @Captain 3 Droids  by us I do include my wife... unfortunately.

She's really enjoying the beers and ciders coming from the Droid and Fermzilla.

In fact, only yesterday we did a side by side comparison of one of our favourite  commercial ciders, Young Henry's Cloudy Cider with my Nudie Run Cider after she asked me to buy some as it's her "favourite".

After a side by side, she wanted to swap glasses with me and drink drink my Nudie Run as she thought it was much, much better.

Of course, as an Aussie gentlemen my reply to her was a "f@#k no, go get your own"...

Kidding of course, I drank some of the Young Henry's then split it across two glasses then filled the remaining 2/3s with the Nudie Run, a mix which we both enjoyed but still wasn't as good as a straight Nudie Run.

Spelling and clarity
  • Haha 1