Mixed up my yeast

I bought the Big Bear Imperial Ale and the Polski Baltic Porter. Pulled the wrong one out of the fridge and now have the Big Bear brewing with Y7 instead of Y1.

This is my 5th brew ever, so still quite new. I believe they are both ale yeasts. I am just wondering how big an impact this will have.

Also wondering whether Y1 will be okay with the Polski, or should I order another pack of the Y7?

I probably need to order more kegs anyway, so placing the order isn't a big issue.

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Frothy the Snowman said:

I bought the Big Bear Imperial Ale and the Polski Baltic Porter. Pulled the wrong one out of the fridge and now have the Big Bear brewing with Y7 instead of Y1.

This is my 5th brew ever, so still quite new. I believe they are both ale yeasts. I am just wondering how big an impact this will have.

Also wondering whether Y1 will be okay with the Polski, or should I order another pack of the Y7?

I probably need to order more kegs anyway, so placing the order isn't a big issue.

Cheers!

Hi Snowman and welcome.

Don’t see any major problems. The Y7 is a lager yeast but does tolerate higher fermentation temperatures so will be ok with the ale recipe. The Y1 is an ale yeast and will be ok with the lager. (You could use the custom mode on the Droid and set the propagation temperature at 22C per normal but set the fermentation at 16C, keg 18C, Store 4C and hop mode off if you don’t want to use it).

14 minutes ago, Frothy the Snowman said:

Thanks heaps for the reply. It's comforting to know I won't be pouring out garbage in a week or 2.

I'll order some more Y7 for the Porter then if it is a larger yeast.

Might put up a post in the custom brewing section if the Big Bear with Y7 comes out delicious. 🤞😅

Hi @Frothy the Snowmanand welcome to the forum.

Make sure you give the Big Bear some time to mature (probably 6 - 8 weeks at least) because it is a big beer. As per the Captain I think it'll turn out just fine.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frothy the Snowman said:

Thanks heaps for the reply. It's comforting to know I won't be pouring out garbage in a week or 2.

I'll order some more Y7 for the Porter then if it is a larger yeast.

Might put up a post in the custom brewing section if the Big Bear with Y7 comes out delicious. 🤞😅

I wouldn't do a special order just for Y7. Include it in the next order and hold the brew over or just go to your local homebrew store and get an appropriate yeast.

cheers

I have also mixed up my yeasts for two brews. Used a Y7 in Lord English P.A instead of a Y3 and a Y3 in The Original Pilsner instead of a Y7.

I understand a Y3 is an Ale yeast and the Y7 is a Lager yeast.

I have bottled the Lord English P.A and have just started the Original Pilsner.

What is the worst case scenario?? 

6 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I have also mixed up my yeasts for two brews. Used a Y7 in Lord English P.A instead of a Y3 and a Y3 in The Original Pilsner instead of a Y7.

I understand a Y3 is an Ale yeast and the Y7 is a Lager yeast.

I have bottled the Lord English P.A and have just started the Original Pilsner.

What is the worst case scenario?? 

No worries Eltham, the Y3 yeast although used mainly in ales it can be ok at lager temperatures and used there. The Y7 in the Ale will not be an issue and should ferment out clear.

• Thanks 1