Santising and storing Corny Kegs

Good Morning Fellas, 

Just want to get your methods of storing empty corny kegs ( dont say with beer lol ) . I have heard two methods. Either dry and sealed up , or filled full of starsan solution . Now i tried option 2 and have notices a slight oxidization on the corny lid . Inside of the keg is still looking great . Its only the part between the seal where there would be moisture and potential to get to oxygen . And for sanitising i have a mate who bought a cool keg was kit ( for like 300 bucks ) but was thinking of thoughts for good cleaning, especially the dispensing pipe . I currently pull the keg straight away , rinse flush the line with sanitised solution but was wondering if I back flush it instead with a sanitiser solution that might be better . I have 5 litre mini kegs that i think will just be "cleaning" kegs for kegerator lines and such , so could use one of those on Co2 and build a line with a black to black connector to flush though 🤷‍♂️ 

Nice mate . Was thinking air dry then sealed ( likely with a shot of Co2 ) sounded like the go, but was following advice i had before and tried filling the keg. I get the principle in the filled keg stays santisised and the phosphoric acid/Co2 limits oxidation🤷‍♂️

I rinse the keg out as soon as consumed with hot water (using the hot water hose in the laundry as not used for the washing machine). When clean I then put in some hot water and seal with the lid. Give it a good shake to create pressure and attach a beer disconnect, hot water will the clean the dip tube and post internals. (a squirt of CO2 if shake fails with pressure).

I then remove lid & seal and tip the hot water over them. I then store the keg upside down to drain and dry with the lid and seal on the base.

When required, I have a bucket with a litre or so of star san, put the lid and seal in then pour some into the keg. Attach lid, give a good shake to coat the inside then pressurise a bit  with CO2, attach beer disconnect with hose into the bucket to sanitise the dip tube and post. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Cheers @Captain 3 Droids , thats a 2 voter for leaving them dry , will be my way forward. Number 1 plan will be to keep beer in them though lol. I do plan to have 6 kegs rotating through, but might also have to buy a few extra maybe 😁

That’s the idea, keg rotation. I’ve mentioned before, long time ago but I do have a disorder in that “I hate empty kegs so I fill them, however I had full kegs so I drink them”. However by following these procedures I therefore don’t have a disorder.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I rinse the keg out as soon as consumed with hot water (using the hot water hose in the laundry as not used for the washing machine). When clean I then put in some hot water and seal with the lid. Give it a good shake to create pressure and attach a beer disconnect, hot water will the clean the dip tube and post internals. (a squirt of CO2 if shake fails with pressure).

I then remove lid & seal and tip the hot water over them. I then store the keg upside down to drain and dry with the lid and seal on the base.

When required, I have a bucket with a litre or so of star san, put the lid and seal in then pour some into the keg. Attach lid, give a good shake to coat the inside then pressurise a bit  with CO2, attach beer disconnect with hose into the bucket to sanitise the dip tube and post. 

I use essentially the same method as the Captain for cleaning and sanitising - I'm cleaning a couple today.

Then so far at least, I have always had a brew in the Droid ready to fill the empty. But as I'm cleaning out two kegs today I'll need to get something brewed to fill the second one as one of my Droids is currently sitting idle.