Ideal Temp for pitching Yeast?

41 minutes ago, Mark Gillman said:

I just started a Midlands Pale Ale I didn't know it at the time but the water temp was 28 deg and I pitched my yeast in at this temperature. This was highlighted in the Propagation mode.

Anyone see an issue or potential problem with this?

No problem

10 hours ago, Mark Gillman said:

I just started a Midlands Pale Ale I didn't know it at the time but the water temp was 28 deg and I pitched my yeast in at this temperature. This was highlighted in the Propagation mode.

Anyone see an issue or potential problem with this?

As Rob says. The unit will immediately start dropping the temp down to the required 21C so won’t be at the higher temp for long.

This should not be a problem.  I filter my tap water and was dismayed that the starting temperature on a recent batch was 84oF (29oC).  Although that brew, a Lawn Mower Lager, seemed to suffer no problems, I plan to cool my tap water down to ambient (75oF/24oC) during the summers (here in Texas).  This also denies the use of my wort chiller until winter months.

Fortunately, our brewing yeasts seem to be forgiving of high starting temperatures - as long as they are soon corrected.

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Some brewers accurately get the Droid to do it by setting the program but not putting in the yeast and ingredients until the propagation temperature has been reached.

Not only clever, but brilliant!  This solves my wort chiller problem as well.  I guess my "Silver Serpent" wort chiller goes into my attic along with my boxed BrewFlo - and old conical fermenters.  Long live alternate kegging and the refrigeration technology of the BrewDroid.

I am awaiting the next USA free shipping opportunity, but still have a lot of BrewPrints and alternatives left.

Both of my BeerDroids are at work.

Cheers. 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

Not only clever, but brilliant!  This solves my wort chiller problem as well.  I guess my "Silver Serpent" wort chiller goes into my attic along with my boxed BrewFlo - and old conical fermenters.  Long live alternate kegging and the refrigeration technology of the BrewDroid.

I am awaiting the next USA free shipping opportunity, but still have a lot of BrewPrints and alternatives left.

Both of my BeerDroids are at work.

Cheers. 🙂

Be careful that you don't add your wort into the Droid at a temperature above the rating for its plastic construction or sensors.

I understand this to be 40 degrees Celsius or 104 Fahrenheit.

I usually chill any worts that I make down to at least 35 C before adding to the Droid.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the warning: I was not aware of the 40oC (104oF) temperature limit.  I steep at 160oF (71oC) so some cooling will still be required before pouring the wort into the droid.  That means the "Silver Serpent" wort chiller remains on my brewing shelf.  This will still get my wort at 160oF (71oC) cooled to below 104oF (40oC) with an ambient tap water temperature of 85oF (29oC).  But I wish for cooler tap water when available.

This will work.  It will just take some extra water flow.

• Upvote 1