Hop Or Not

After others thoughts on current brew in the droid. Currently on day 7 of a US Chiller Lager (& added a pouch of X5 to bump up ABV). I'm thinking of adding some hops to the brew before it's bottled, either tonight or once EOF is detected. I have cascade hop flowers in 50g lots that I got from eBay & 2 10g galaxy hop packets from BigW. So basically after opinions on 1. If I should hop the brew, 2. best time to add hops & 3. which hop to use or combination ?IMG_2503.thumb.JPG.1af83474f110b264843ac3d5b1d769f0.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hi Dean,

Personally, I wouldn't hop a US Chiller. In fact, I wouldn't really hop any standard Lagers over and above what you get, as I don't think they lend themselves to a hoppy (or hoppier) profile. Pale ales on the other hand.... Hop away! But that's just my personal opinion.

If you are going to hop, you can either make a hop tea, which you're probably best adding at the start when you put your main ingredients in, or you can "dry hop" where you basically just throw the stuff in. Do that at end of fermentation and leave it for a few days.

As for what hops to add, again this is a personal preference. There's a post somewhere in which myself and some others posted some detail on what sort of hops matches what sort of beer.

Good luck!

Ian

Ian, is there any possibility of just adding more of the BrewArt hops?

Or must you go the traditional hopping process?

For me, as a complete novice, BrewArt hops are easier.

P.S. Dean, that pic in post #1 contains an image that may get you arrested in Columbia.....

Is this a new way of improving beer?

Edited by Pursya
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Pursya said:

Ian, is there any possibility of just adding more of the BrewArt hops?

Or must you go the traditional hopping process?

For me, as a complete novice, BrewArt hops are easier.

P.S. Dean, that pic in post #1 contains an image that may get you arrested in Columbia.....

Is this a new way of improving beer?

For my last brew, it cost me about $3 for 15g of hop pellets from my local home brew store which were already in a little bag (looks like a tea-bag).
Pretty sure that's cheaper than than a couple of extra hop pouches.

I opened the packet, and threw the little bag with of hops into the droid and put the lid back on. Can't say easier than that.
In my opinion the flavour and scent is better than anything the hop pouches will give you.

That said, yes, you could just add more hop pouches.

This is purely anecdotal, but I believe the hop pouches effect the scent more than the flavour, where as doing what I described above effects the flavour more.

• 4 years later...