Infected Brew?

Andrew Stimson

Hi all

I have completed about seven sparkling ale brews now. I always get a metallic taste despite being fastidious with sanitising. Basically you wouldn't want to drink this beer. I use the tablet for the Beerdroid and I use StarSan for the bottles. I am now using bottled water for the brew in case this makes a difference.

Someone suggested maybe leave it longer before drinking. I will now try leaving it for a month.

If this doesn't work, I feel I will be close to giving up. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Hi Andrew

Did you use tap water? I read that you need to remove the Chlorine \ Chloramine from the tap water, I have used Spring water that was Chlorine free, in one brew and Tap water with the Chlorine removed in another. not yet ready to taste, so i do not know if they were successful.

http://beer-geeking.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/water-chlorine-chloramine-and.html 

6 minutes ago, Pursya said:

I always use spring water. 10 litres for $4 from Woolworths.

I think that is a good option. I used spring water for the first brew as i was too impatient to boil the tap water and wait over night. But i found that it was 9.75 litres not 10. Next brew i used tap water and a 1/4 camden tablet which was very quick to get rid of the chlorine. 

If you can get your hands on Reverse Osmosis (or distilled) water that is the best. The brewery has already made all of the correct mineral adjustments for the beer. 

Conditioning time could also play a part in helping some of those flavours get cleaned up. 

Are you kegging or bottling? If bottling, maybe the bottle caps could be affecting the beer? 

On 14/09/2017 at 7:17 PM, The Bitter Draughty said:

I think that is a good option. I used spring water for the first brew as i was too impatient to boil the tap water and wait over night. But i found that it was 9.75 litres not 10. Next brew i used tap water and a 1/4 camden tablet which was very quick to get rid of the chlorine. 

I certainly got the full 10 litres out of the container.

A well as the visual confirmation, the weight of the container was 10.35kg. So 10kg of water (10 litres) and 350g for the tap/container.

You're welcome, I'm always happy to speculate :) 

But yes you're right, distilled/reverse osmosis water is optimal (its just trying to find it at a reasonable price which is the issue) and conditioning times makes a huge difference as it allows the yeast consume any byproducts created during the fermentation process.

Please let us know what you find 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived