Bavarian Lager

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/08/2021 at 8:08 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

In the droid today, haven’t done for a while like a lot of the BrewPrints.

5 and a bit weeks in...it is interesting to note the difference between saaz and hallertau in this brew, both of them come up trumps but geez, this drinks very, very well

This is my favourite part of the week, finish work, come home, maybe polish off half a bag of cheezels, sort one of the droids out, clean it out, prepared for tomorrow but then, then, I can get that first glass in. Basically 6 weeks in and has lost the early sweet, maltiness that appears early and is now a dead set German beer, like a Becks but nice.

Think I did this at 25gms, so I might drop it back to 20 on the dry hop and see how that goes as I do that with the Bohemian, still, just a delighful beer and one I gave a workmate when we had some pretty lame "awards night shennanigans" for the company. It was meant to be no alcohol but I played the "I thought you meant you weren't serving it, that's why I brought my own" card.

It worked and my workmate was very impressed by the Bavarian, went a treat with the pizzas that were supplied

IMG_0590.jpg

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

This is my favourite part of the week, finish work, come home, maybe polish off half a bag of cheezels, sort one of the droids out, clean it out, prepared for tomorrow but then, then, I can get that first glass in. Basically 6 weeks in and has lost the early sweet, maltiness that appears early and is now a dead set German beer, like a Becks but nice.

Think I did this at 25gms, so I might drop it back to 20 on the dry hop and see how that goes as I do that with the Bohemian, still, just a delighful beer and one I gave a workmate when we had some pretty lame "awards night shennanigans" for the company. It was meant to be no alcohol but I played the "I thought you meant you weren't serving it, that's why I brought my own" card.

It worked and my workmate was very impressed by the Bavarian, went a treat with the pizzas that were supplied

IMG_0590.jpg

Half a bag????

Amateur hour!!!!!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2021 at 6:20 AM, Rob Courtney said:

How did yours go?

Pretty well.  The wife's favorite to date.  Personally I did not find it to have enough hops on the back end.  The Czech pils is really hitting the spot for me though.  Just did a stepped grain Kolsch that I'm really looking forward to.

Edited by Scott Coppess
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, Hambone said:

G'day 

Just want to confirm that the liquid hop 'essence' goes in at kegging on this one?

Also I note a few mentions of dry hopping on this one. I have hallertau and hersbrucker on hand. Any suggestions?

Cheers 

You could do 3 things

1) liquid hops into the keg when you keg

2) dry hop - use Hallertau hops, I do 30g however you might like 50g?

3) dry hop  30g of pellets and then 1 liquid sachet on kegging (I’d do this)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

You could do 3 things

1) liquid hops into the keg when you keg

2) dry hop - use Hallertau hops, I do 30g however you might like 50g?

3) dry hop  30g of pellets and then 1 liquid sachet on kegging (I’d do this)

Ok great thanks fir for the info. Will ponder. 

Cheers 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I plan to brew this lager in the next couple of days. However, without the hallertau hops. 

It didn't seem to get as good reviews as the other lagers in the brewart site. So I don't have high expectations.

If I brew it a second time, I will add those hops.