Cleaning Tips for Beerdroid

Get one of this cooking spatulas with a soft head, this one comes apart but you can cut the head off if it is one piece. By just using the head it is easier to get in and scrape around the sides and push the sediment (trub) at the bottom through the tap and drain holes.

4D6C9223-3936-42C3-8B7E-D735B69FFC26.thumb.jpeg.671cf46089752703f6455b96d92b048d.jpeg

3D4BADCB-CED2-4989-8743-F9FFD677ABAA.thumb.jpeg.f1338400faf821e60699600d42188fe2.jpeg

To help flush out, this spray unit (5 litre) I got from Mitre 10 for under $10 however I’m sure Bunnings would have something similar. It has a spray nozzle on the end but you can also remove the shaft and water then pumps out just past the triggers. Great for “washing” the droid out and cleaning up the tap and drain holes.

Note:-  should still be using a soft cloth to finish off and use a torch (it’s dark in there) to ensure all Krausen, trub etc is removed. Once clean, sanitise and don’t forget to do the tap and drain plug.

Hopes this helps.

B5E502D7-2597-4ACC-AB01-975EB2157F7B.thumb.jpeg.13757cf47ebaed4164afe18fc2769f3a.jpeg

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Here is something worth noting. When putting the E and/or X ingredients into the droid if some should settle/spill into the top area where the lid attaches, make sure you clean it off with a cloth or paper towel that has been sanitised.

I didn’t on my last brew and it took all my power and several attempts to turn the lid for removal. The ingredients are sticky when moist and become like glue.

Happened to anyone else?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

If it doesn't work too well, go full vinegar, it will strip calcification of metal, it should get the honeycomb 

Brilliant, 50/50 the go. I sprayed the area with the solution (making sure not to spray into the droid via the outlet), then put a paper towel on it, sprayed that (so it stuck) and left for an hour. Sprayed towel again and peeled off. Then just wiped off the remaining goo with a sanitised cloth - easy as. Thanks Rob.

Yeah, it is good. Even if you got it in the droid, just a couple of good douses with water and it'd have been fine. Vinegar is one of the better natural cleaners there is...and good on chips too :). Whenever I see that product CLR and it talks itself up in the advert I just think " yep, Vinegar does that for a 1/10th of the price...and I'm pretty sure CLR doesn't go well on chips

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I think I’ve come up with a good method to help mess/clean up of Droid overflow from the escape path on the left hand side of the lid. As I’ve just put down a Ruby Porter and a number of people have experienced over flowing with this recipe I thought “ be prepared”

So using duct tape I’ve taped a folded chux wipe to the droid “barrel” just below the lid and a cloth at the bottom. The idea I think is self explanatory.

20A255B2-82D3-492E-89AC-C69D8A5698D6.thumb.jpeg.47531b05362b9a6c472b37ce3925f5c1.jpeg
Ps looking at photo will move it up so tape line is in line with the “barrel” top

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Here is something worth noting. When putting the E and/or X ingredients into the droid if some should settle/spill into the top area where the lid attaches, make sure you clean it off with a cloth or paper towel that has been sanitised.

I didn’t on my last brew and it took all my power and several attempts to turn the lid for removal. The ingredients are sticky when moist and become like glue.

Happened to anyone else?

I have had that happen several times in spite of careful cleaning of the lid and edges of the droid.  I now spread a light coating of silicone grease to the contact surfaces.  Even so, I sometimes have had to resort to a pry stick in the handle to obtain enough torque to release the lid.  This must be applied gently and slowly to avoid breaking off the handle.  (I assume a mental picture of a starfish applying gentle pressure to a clamshell when releasing a reluctant lid.)  This has worked without damage to the lid.  However, I would like to see a wider handle on future BeerDroids that would allow a firm two-handed grip on the lid.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, Thagomizer said:

I have had that happen several times in spite of careful cleaning of the lid and edges of the droid.  I now spread a light coating of silicone grease to the contact surfaces.  Even so, I sometimes have had to resort to a pry stick in the handle to obtain enough torque to release the lid.  This must be applied gently and slowly to avoid breaking off the handle.  (I assume a mental picture of a starfish applying gentle pressure to a clamshell when releasing a reluctant lid.)  This has worked without damage to the lid.  However, I would like to see a wider handle on future BeerDroids that would allow a firm two-handed grip on the lid.

I have never had to use a pry stick since I started using the food grade lub. best thing ever invented.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

Yes.  Food grade silicone lube works.  So far, I have been using it very sparingly.  On my last batch that I started 2 hours ago, I slathered it on more liberally - especially on the outer side of the lid gasket.  Hopefully, no pry stick needed next time.

One thing to make sure off is that none of the ingredients when putting into the droid have landed on the BeerDroid rim (sticks like glue). I always wipe with some starsan.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

One thing to make sure off is that none of the ingredients when putting into the droid have landed on the BeerDroid rim (sticks like glue). I always wipe with some starsan.

I wipe down the rim using a clean paper towel soaked with Mr. Beer's No-Rinse Cleaner prior to applying the silicone lube.  That assures that the element and enhancer powders are removed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...