US Chiller Lager

On 02/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, Barrelboy said:

Rob, I’m surprised, although a clone so to speak it’s a nice drop. Do again as a clone, no - I have two Droids now🍻 

Hey, did you dry hop this one?

Have a brewprint of this left and that comes without hops, something I think it lacked with the keg I drank, I was thinking of putting in some Hallertau hops with it

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

No I didn’t add any hops, only hops would be in the 1/2 a can of Coopers Draught I used. I’d say the Hallertau would work well. Give it a go. Say 20g? 

Yeah That's what I'd be looking at. What I am planning to do with my next order is to stop ordering pouches and start dry hopping using the exact type of hops they have in the brewprint ( obviously, with the way I drink, it means a lot of Saaz). I mean, I think I have gotten some excellent results the second half of the year with the hops pouches but I'd hope to get even better.

38 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah That's what I'd be looking at. What I am planning to do with my next order is to stop ordering pouches and start dry hopping using the exact type of hops they have in the brewprint ( obviously, with the way I drink, it means a lot of Saaz). I mean, I think I have gotten some excellent results the second half of the year with the hops pouches but I'd hope to get even better.

I thought you got into hop pellets and your ball and chain set up?

8 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

I thought you got into hop pellets and your ball and chain set up?

Yeah I have but I still have the last three prints left with hop pouches still with them, I have been half an halfing with pouches and pellets ( I will have to try the Czech Pils which is at 6.5 weeks secondary and the Pale Ale this week to ascertain how that has gone. I think I will be happy with the results and if that is the case, a couple of hop pouches is 7-8 bucks...where even if I am just buying hops in 25gms packs, it's the same price

9 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah I have but I still have the last three prints left with hop pouches still with them, I have been half an halfing with pouches and pellets ( I will have to try the Czech Pils which is at 6.5 weeks secondary and the Pale Ale this week to ascertain how that has gone. I think I will be happy with the results and if that is the case, a couple of hop pouches is 7-8 bucks...where even if I am just buying hops in 25gms packs, it's the same price

7-8 bucks for 25gs is very expensive. Appreciate your support of the local brew shop but that’s adding a fair bit to the cost of your brews. I buy local, generally 9-12 dollars for 100gms, that gives 5 brews. I also buy of eBay. Just search hops, heaps with free postage. Direct from Melbourne or Sydney most of them.

Edited by Barrelboy

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

7-8 bucks for 25gs is very expensive. Appreciate your support of the local brew shop but that’s adding a fair bit to the cost of your brews. I buy local, generally 9-12 dollars for 100gms, that gives 5 brews. I also buy of eBay.

He has the bigger packs as well which seemed to cost not much more

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

They come in vacuum sealed bags. After opening I put the bag in a sandwich press seal bag and back into the fridge (stops the hop smell in the fridge although nice).

The bags I get are vacuumed sealed inside a zip lock bag, the Brew Shop guy told me to keep it in the freezer after it was opened

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

The bags I get are vacuumed sealed inside a zip lock bag, the Brew Shop guy told me to keep it in the freezer after it was opened

I stand corrected, the Brew Shop guy is correct in that they are best stored in the freezer after opening. I’ll change my procedures as of now. They are ok to store in the fridge before opening but the freezer will be best practice from the start.

Thanks, learn something new every day. (at least no real harm done)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/02/2020 at 10:19 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Just kegged tonight, tried a sample with the Hallertau hops which is...different. Interesting to see how this one turns out. Thought the last one of these was a nice drink but just missing a bit of ooomph, which may be fixed with some hops

Yep, works very well with the hops in it. I mean it is just a dry lager  but it goes ok

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ten weeks in and a little disappointed with head retention. I will say all the bottles are swing tops and I am a bit ambivalent towards them. Definitely carbonation there but the head disappears like it is an ice cold day and you are wearing shorts.

Will be interesting to compare because I will drink the keg this weekend

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Those swing tops can be problematic if you don’t get the seal flush with the top of the bottle.

I dunno, I spend my time making sure but it turns out a little meh. Of course that all intensifies when I crack a Crown seal and it is just spot on, perfect. If someone made me an offer of $12 a dozen for the 24 swing tops...I'd probably take it, I mean I have some old Grolsch bottles and they work far, far better than the swingtops I have on hand

I have two more of these still to make and am a little unsure if it is what I would like to do twice more. I also have two pale ales to do and doing some probably bad maths in my head...and I think I'd have to buy a larger yeast, maybe not but I could out of those 4 prints get a Pale, a Tommy Boy Artisian and a Czech Pilsner with a couple of powders left over...maybe the way I go with this

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I have two more of these still to make and am a little unsure if it is what I would like to do twice more. I also have two pale ales to do and doing some probably bad maths in my head...and I think I'd have to buy a larger yeast, maybe not but I could out of those 4 prints get a Pale, a Tommy Boy Artisian and a Czech Pilsner with a couple of powders left over...maybe the way I go with this

Definitely the Pilsner 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Definitely the Pilsner 

If I could wangle an extra E5 I'd be in business but I definitely want a Pale Ale where I am kind of had enough of US Chiller and the Tommy Boy is a much better option than US Chiller, I'd also do the Tommy Boy with a Y9 yeast to see if that makes it a little different instead of a Y7 and change the Hops from Saaz to Hersbrucker, maybe 50/50 split.