US Chiller Lager

As this is a Chiller lager, I can only compare it to beers like Carlton Cold, dry...and all the other drys. In that regard, this beer has them covered, it has that thing called...flavour. It improves with age, 7 weeks in and I crack some bottles midweek to see with this and it gets better. Starts off a bit malty at 3-4 weeks but softens as it matures, not the worlds best beer but for $17 for 10 litres it is worth the effort. Given beers like Iron Jack and Steersman are in the market against this, it is a no brainer.

3.5- 4 stars

• Upvote 1

Haven’t done this yet in the droid although I kegged a 12l clone on the 5th of  this month (in 15l plastic fermenter) without brewart ingredients other than the yeast. Sometimes I do this to get and idea and if enjoyed will do in the droid. Information about brews from people like yourself are of great value. (and you have someone to blame if crap🤗

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

. (and you have someone to blame if crap🤗

LOL.

It is a real love/hate thing with this beer. When I first drunk it, i thought "too malty" and then thought it was" ok " and now I am really liking what it brings. It isn't a conventional lager as it has the strong malt, maybe a craft lager/Pale Lager sort of taste but it has improved each week ( as i am a lager drinker, I would almost say this is a winter lager, if you get my drift, not crisp, a bit heavier than a normal, run of the mill lager).

As I bottled this whole droid, I'd recommend giving it a few weeks to get a good idea, although if you force carb...you're on your own.

Next time I brew this, I'm probably looking at 4-5 months secondary so it should be the stuff

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

I’ll be interested with this one. This could work out well as have it sitting in a ss 12l keg that I use for holding/maturing so will leave for a couple of months. 

Yeah, I was surprised by it. The write up on the Brewart page had a guy talking it up after 3 weeks, which I think was a bit extreme...or maybe a good example of Chiller Lager but it has a bit going for it for sure

• Upvote 1

Still think this is a steady beer, it must be close to 8 weeks now. Drinks well without shooting the stars which is fine, as it gets older the strong malt dissipates which takes that Pale Lager vibe away from it.

In saying that, stacked up against all the "dry" beers, super or not, this still has them covered

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

A moments silence for the last of these beers. Granted, I did have it with a curry, which is always good but at 10 or so weeks secondary...for a $17 beer, pretty handy and will be bought again. Pale Ale, this and Pub Draught, 30 litres of beer for $50, ridiculous.

Yes certainly great value Rob and for such high standards in quality. Spring, summer drinking is something to look forward too however nothing wrong with autumn, winter drinking.🍻

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2019 at 9:01 PM, Barrelboy said:

Haven’t done this yet in the droid although I kegged a 12l clone on the 5th of  this month (in 15l plastic fermenter) without brewart ingredients other than the yeast. Sometimes I do this to get and idea and if enjoyed will do in the droid. Information about brews from people like yourself are of great value. (and you have someone to blame if crap🤗

Rob, I’m surprised, although a clone so to speak it’s a nice drop. Do again as a clone, no - I have two Droids now🍻 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, this is six weeks in on the second brew. Sadly, I will finish off the bottles tonight as I took them and the APA up to the Holiday house, as I really couldn't be arsed taking the flow up. In saying that though, I am about to start on the kegs again, which will all be at 4 months, so late Jan/early Feb, I can get into the keg of this.

At the price you can do this brew, you'd have to compare it to a couple of beers at Dans that get a bit closer to value, Arc Valley and Hollandia...and then you have this, at half the price and ten times the beer...at least

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Paul84 said:

I never liked any of the well beers from the states so I personally wont try this ... but for 8.50 a Keg 😍 . But yeah I think that anyone who likes a light lager should give it a run 

It's still at 4.5% so at the bottom end of "full strength". Can't judge it against other USA beers, don't really drink many, more into Czech/German beers but this is alright as a change up

• Upvote 2