Aussie Premium

Rob Courtney

Just sneaking a couple of longies watching the cricket

This is a tough beer to rate. It was the first one I brewed that I went "I can make beer". I might even wait until I get to the keg...or...and dare I say it...yep, til I get the hops right...like I have with the one I kegged a fortnight back. At best, I will give this a 4 out of 5 as there is better brews out there and I bought this as it said this was the one that replicated Crownies. It isn't Crown as it is more fruity than malty but yeah, the more I wanted to bag this...and granted it has come after an Aztec, it is sitting pretty nicely.

It isn't a Belgian Lager, or a Bohemian, or a Lawn Mower or a Birra but still, is a nice brew. I think a bit more bitterness in it will turn out quite well

• Upvote 1

Think I may get to the stage ( given I have a flo and 16 kegs and it works for me) of doing a lot of my brew into kegs and then having maybe 20-25% done into bottles. So I may do three brews into kegs and then do a US Chiller into bottles. I mean I like them out of bottles and it has it's place but there is the aesthetics of pouring your own pints ( which was one of the reasons I wanted this system) and I think the flavour is possibly just better. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Think I may get to the stage ( given I have a flo and 16 kegs and it works for me) of doing a lot of my brew into kegs and then having maybe 20-25% done into bottles. So I may do three brews into kegs and then do a US Chiller into bottles. I mean I like them out of bottles and it has it's place but there is the aesthetics of pouring your own pints ( which was one of the reasons I wanted this system) and I think the flavour is possibly just better. 

I’d say that would be the way to go. I believe the stouts are better bottled and agree in something like the US Chiller so you can just come in and grab an ice cold bottle after work or some activity. ( no not that activity).

• Haha 1

With the extra 4 that’ll give 100 litres, a good stock and allows time for maturity purposes. To be honest I’d definitely have gone the beerflo way if it all this was about when I changed from bottles to kegs ( an expensive way to go). However my kegs and system works well and I’m happy to stay with what I have. 

Stay with your system and just build up your keg stocks........more more more.🍻

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

From the first pint til the last, this has been a very good keg of beer, bit more hops would have been sweet but yeah, 13 pints of deliciousness 

It would certainly appears that you enjoyed this brew but mentioned (as an aside) that “more hops would have been sweet.....”. I suspect you added at kegging time so next time try at fermentation end and leave for the two days in keg mode. Or would you add another sachet of the H4? Or just leave it and do what you did again?

I didn’t know you went to storage mode so Liam’s advice is correct. As you have chilled the beer thus cleaning up and settling yeast etc and ceasing any fermentation, if using liquid hop I wouldn’t bother waiting a couple of days at fermentation temperature. Just add to the kegs or if half and half add to the keg, fill, add to remaining 5 litres and then bottle. Reason, no difference in result whether the hops sit in the droid or in your keg due to the chilling process.

Cheers Mark

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It has that sort of German beer taste mixed into it. I guess what I am most pleased about is recognising the difference just the change of hops makes to the beer. I had a chat with Liam a while back and he was telling me the real fun comes from the experimenting of different yeast and hops on the same beer and damn it, he is right.  I'm not 100% sure I'd make this exactly the same again but if you gave a mate one of these with "it's my homebrew", they'd come back for a second.

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

It has that sort of German beer taste mixed into it. I guess what I am most pleased about is recognising the difference just the change of hops makes to the beer. I had a chat with Liam a while back and he was telling me the real fun comes from the experimenting of different yeast and hops on the same beer and damn it, he is right.  I'm not 100% sure I'd make this exactly the same again but if you gave a mate one of these with "it's my homebrew", they'd come back for a second.

No doubt some excellent beers have been achieved through mistakes and experimentations. I do like to play around with hops and surprising changes can be achieved. A good example is the Coopers Session Ale, Brewprint - Galaxy hops, can Coopers recipe is galaxy and Melba hops, then there is Amarillo so mixing up is interesting with any harm.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

OK, so drinking the keg that I didn't bollocks up whilst kegging, I mean I did everything ele wrong, just kegged it like a pro. Close enough to 11 weeks secondary...and I have something to say...

I rate it better with Hallertau hops!!!

It hasn't lost its hops flavour and moulded into the same beer, it tastes bloody lovely, still think it has the "German beer" than say a Crownie but this would be the first time I would give this beer 5 stars. I will also note that this was the last beer I put dextrose powder in ( have used carb drops since then as an expiriment) bu I used 33 ish grams instead of the suggested 25-30gms and I think that may be the right amount. I do use a wheat dextrose for some reason, maybe the Brewshop guy reommended it.

The hallertau hops I suspect would suit your brew, it’s a nice hop suitable with a number of European beers as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

The hallertau hops I suspect would suit your brew, it’s a nice hop suitable with a number of European beers as well.

Yeah, it's a strange one, I am trying to place it but it is a bit close to Southwark Premium without being as crisp. I mean there is no way I am putting Hersbrucker in it next time...or will I?

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/07/2020 at 7:56 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Just bottling this one now with some Hallertau hops again...tastes pretty nice in the tester, will be giving this one an earlier go than usual ( 4 weeks) to see what it is like it that stage ad then gauge it for premium time drinking

Woo hoo, get to try this one out tomorrow, looking forward to how i goes early on

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Thought I'd sneak one of these with Sunday dinner (hamburger)...so good. Probably still has room to improve but with a double bacon burger ( which quite frankly I should have two of) it was great to neck a couple of pints

Out of interest the Shem Sheet compares this (opinion only) with a Hahn Premium, do you still lean towards Southwark Premium?

45 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Out of interest the Shem Sheet compares this (opinion only) with a Hahn Premium, do you still lean towards Southwark Premium?

The Shem sheet does it with Hersbrucker hops and I wuld agree with the Hahn call, with Hallertau hops it is closer to a Southwark premium, probably needs a hops tea in there to promote a bit more bitterness to be spot on

• Upvote 1

I have some beer stored in the lounge, some in the laundry, both with diferent temps, the Laundry being a solid bugger all degrees ( maybe 10 celcius when you'd want at least 16 for good secondary) and it is interesting from a difference in maturity view for me. I have to try one of the loungeroom ones a bit later but I can see how this one is about a week or less behind the loungeroom one from last week.

In saying that though, this with 20-25gms of Hallertau dry hopped is just sensational, even from the laundry