Aussie Premium

Rob Courtney

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I know this might be an unpopular opinionj but I think think  with Hallertau is better than Belgium Lager...and I never, ever thought I would say that

No, wouldn’t disagree. From the hop descriptions they are similar but Hallertau German/European roots appear to be a bit stronger. I will try this on my next Belgian. This is the great thing about homebrew, the changes/adjustments you can make and so simply with the Droid set up.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, was going to leave this six weeks as I feel the Aus Premium is one of those later developing beers but yeah 37 degree day, may as well give it a go. Was trying to clone a Boags Premium and that really is a case of mucking around with the hops mix until you get it close. So at 4 weeks it's not too bad, I can see how the Cluster hops give a bit of a Boags feel about it and it will settle as it gets older. 

Still, quenched the thirst, darn good head on it for a lager too

Somewhere here, “shemsheet” there is a reference that the Aust Premium is more a kin with Hahn Lager? Your thoughts? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, four weeks in and this one could be going straight to the pool room I used to say the Hallertau was the hops for this brew...and to be fair, it is a damn good match but the Hersbrucker/Spalt/ Tettanger mix in a 10/8/8gm amount has it covered by distance. This has a real craft beer lager tatse to it( I mean the good ones where you go wow but I'm not paying 7 bucks for a 330ml can of this...yeah I'll get the six pack).

Ahhhh, mucking around with hops, how good is it sometimes?

IMG_0217.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Seriously in a very good place at the moment, it reminds me of how I felt the first time I was drinking Boho lager. I will muck around with the hop amounts in this but the profile is spot on and the taste I believe to be better than the beer I was trying to recreate

Worth having a go, I’ll need to get some Spalt/ Tettanger hops first. It is great experimenting  with hops and trying others recommendations.

• Thanks 1

So, have had one of the long necks just to chill out after a stressful week...and I will start a thread on "why are people so stupid?" later but this is and I am not lying, one that doesn't get better in the Belgian glass. I just poured the last half into a Headmaster pint glass and it was much better. Think I round out this night with sessions and Bohos so good place, good place...  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Could either be a very short or very long thread ...

Oh it will be very, very long. I spent 20 minutes discussing the difference between "wholesale" and "retail" to someone today when it came to money. Even using examples like "so, you know that when farmers are selling milk, they get $1 a litre...that is the wholesale price and when you buy it at Coles...it is $2 a litre, that is the retail price (silence, blank look) "OK, OK, you know when they say the price of Crude OIl is down to $60 a barrel (yes), that is the wholesale price but when you get it at the pump...and remember, there is about 160 litres in a barrel, you pay at best $1 a litre, often more...that is the retail price (silence blank look).

How do people live their whole lives in a society based on capatilism, yet not understand the concept of wholesale and retail? I do not think I am the smartest man in the room, far from it. I actually am amazed to hear my wife disect concepts with her incredible intelligence...it makes me feel like I am a few evolutionary species below her at times ( but you can think that about really smart people who say stuff and you stop and go "yeah, thanks for explaining that to me, I'd never have got there on my own") but when you explain it ( and I used about 20 examples) and he still went "no but", it is at this stage you should be able to say "now, I'm going to start talking with my fists..."

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Oh it will be very, very long. I spent 20 minutes discussing the difference between "wholesale" and "retail" to someone today when it came to money. Even using examples like "so, you know that when farmers are selling milk, they get $1 a litre...that is the wholesale price and when you buy it at Coles...it is $2 a litre, that is the retail price (silence, blank look) "OK, OK, you know when they say the price of Crude OIl is down to $60 a barrel (yes), that is the wholesale price but when you get it at the pump...and remember, there is about 160 litres in a barrel, you pay at best $1 a litre, often more...that is the retail price (silence blank look).

How do people live their whole lives in a society based on capatilism, yet not understand the concept of wholesale and retail? I do not think I am the smartest man in the room, far from it. I actually am amazed to hear my wife disect concepts with her incredible intelligence...it makes me feel like I am a few evolutionary species below her at times ( but you can think that about really smart people who say stuff and you stop and go "yeah, thanks for explaining that to me, I'd never have got there on my own") but when you explain it ( and I used about 20 examples) and he still went "no but", it is at this stage you should be able to say "now, I'm going to start talking with my fists..."

Unfortunately stupidity often hides in plain sight.

And we allow these people to drink, drive and vote. 😳

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the Australian Premium with the multi mix of hops is sitting at 6 weeks

Boy oh boy, wowee, dead set effin' cracker of a beer, I might even like that more than the Czech. That is one beautifully balanced beer when it comes to mouthfeel, bitterness and a bag of fruit to top it off. When I first mucked around with the Aussie Premium back in the day I thought "if I could get it close to a Boags or Crownie, I'll be happy...there is a lot of daylight, a lot between this and a Crownie or Boags

IMG_0253.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So have just dry hopped this tonight with 50gms of the hop combo 20 of Saaz then 10 each of Tettanger, Perle and Lemondrops. Hoping this one turns out like I think it should, believe the German lager hops just need a touch of citrus.

Funnily enough, only came across the hop type at the Brew shop when Brewshop guy was adamant that you use Lemondrop in XPA and not Citra

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2021 at 9:22 PM, Rob Courtney said:

90% of people are either lazy or dumb when it comes to the most important investment of their lives: Superannuation. Most are content to hand their hard earned to the funds so that the fund can take generous fees in return for an average return. I have a SMSF earning 13% per annum over the last 3 years compared to the Superfunds Balanced Portfolio of average 5%. With this 8% differential or outperformance the compound interest my fund over 40 years will end up with 3 x the final balance  compared to the average Industry or Retail Fund. Factoring CPI over the investment lifetime, the average superfund balance will not be enough to provide a comfortable standard of living in retirement with the balance being expended well before they pass away. The problem is that people are more interested in watching Netflix and Facebook than spending their spare time educating their self in investing and taking control of their own destiny. Its pretty sad from where I sit.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

It's just apathy when it comes to super, well apathy and ignorance. I mean, last year people were allowed to take 10k out of their super ( I know there were perametres but alot of people did) and for an amount they didn't need as the worst case scenario never happened and for a bunch of people, that money was 18 months to 30 months contributions but all they heard was "free ten grand", which is going to bite them on the arse come retirement time

By time people start taking super seriously, they are already well on the way to transition to retirement and the clock is ticking 

And the will have lost the benefits of the 8th Wonder of the World: Compound interest.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

6 weeks in...

Honestly, I could sell this...pity is I'd be the best customer :)

Seriously though, quite a "fruity" mix of hops for a lager with the Lemondrops added to it so the Ale drinkers might like that combo but geez a keg of this, 35+ degree day....you'd be in a good, good place until you had to pass out.

I know I talk about "Craft Lagers"  but this is what I mean, a lager with crisp flavour and a fruit taste on the back pallete* that is so refreshing from the stable of lagers that breweries want to put out. I mean  have tried a few decent ones but most are just...the same.

*apologies but I was a red wine drinker for a long time, so I taste beer that way

• Upvote 2

On 28/05/2021 at 11:18 PM, Rob Courtney said:

6 weeks in...

Seriously though, quite a "fruity" mix of hops for a lager with the Lemondrops added to it so the Ale drinkers might like that combo but geez a keg of this, 35+ degree day....you'd be in a good, good place until you had to pass out.

I know I talk about "Craft Lagers"  but this is what I mean, a lager with crisp flavour and a fruit taste on the back pallete* that is so refreshing from the stable of lagers that breweries want to put out. I mean  have tried a few decent ones but most are just...the same.

*apologies but I was a red wine drinker for a long time, so I taste beer that way

Have customised this BrewPrint recipe, refer main title “BrewPrint Customisation “ under thread “Custom BrewPrints.

https://community.brewart.com/topic/94-custom-brewprints/?do=findComment&comment=9165

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2021 at 11:18 PM, Rob Courtney said:

6 weeks in...

Nine weeks in, was out for a fair bit tonight, came home and have had a couple of bottles of this one, geez this is such a nice beer. There is a fair amount of bitterness going on with the flavours of the hops and with each mouthful, I am kind of patting myself on the back. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I had run out of Hersbrucker and possibly Spalt when I made this so I went back to old faithful, Hallertau, 30gms in. Now I was always a fan of Becks and Heinekens back in the day and this is a good replica.

I think the base ingredients of this beer lend itself to quite a few varities of hops with success

• 4 months later...

Just dropped 20gms of Pride Of Ringwood hops in this tonight. Will be interested to see how this one turns out. Was keen to keep the hops to a minimum level to see how it affects the brewprint without over powering it.

The idea is to get something close to a Crown Lager ( before they changed the recipe) and just have that malt taste shine through

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...