Brewing Ciders

Troy Little

6 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

Bottles are PET so the 2 carbonation drops is standard I think, so those shouldn't explode.

Keg might over carbonate, and that was a concern. I quite wanted a high level of carbonation for this, so figured at best it would do that, at worst it wouldn't all be eaten by the yeast so might add to the sweetness which is desirable, and if necessary I can bleed off a little excess pressure every now and again. 

Fair enough, the bottles will be ok and the kegs may well need a “bleed off” as I suspect the yeast will eat all the sugar. If the end results are to your liking then obviously stick with what you have done however if the sweetness is not enough add some lactose mixed in prior to fermentation.

(Tip:- I did a cider once that was that dry it sucked my gums in! A dash of lemonade in the glass fixed that nicely)

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm a new member. Just bottled a lighthouse pale ale and started a German weissbier yesterday.  My wife doesn't like beer so I was hoping to win her over with a cider. Problem is, when we have had cider in the past from places like u-brew-it, she has found the cider still has a beer taste to it. Any feedback from members of a cider that might fit the bill? Preference would be for a dry or cloudy cider, not too sweet. Cheers

8 minutes ago, Gavin Goddard said:

Hi all, I'm a new member. Just bottled a lighthouse pale ale and started a German weissbier yesterday.  My wife doesn't like beer so I was hoping to win her over with a cider. Problem is, when we have had cider in the past from places like u-brew-it, she has found the cider still has a beer taste to it. Any feedback from members of a cider that might fit the bill? Preference would be for a dry or cloudy cider, not too sweet. Cheers

Hi Gavin and welcome. You’ll enjoy the Lighthouse Pale Ale. I’m not a cider person so can’t really comment. However I’m sure some one will advise.

Cheers Mark

43 minutes ago, Gavin Goddard said:

Can give you a recipe that is supposed to be good, but can't tell you whether it would be dry, cloudy or too sweet...so we both know...it'll be too sweet :)

- 7L Preservative Free Apple Juice (supermarket homebrand)
- 3 x 850ml Preservative Free Pear juice (Goulburn Valley)
- 1 tea bag of english breakfast, steeped in 1 cup (ish) of water
- 500g Lactose (stirred into mix)
- 1 x Sachet of Cider yeast (used Mangrove Jacks M02 Cider)

Brewed on custom mode: 22 degrees propagate, 12 degrees ferment

You can make it all apple, not use a tea  bag, can muck around but that is a basic recipe anyways

• 1 year later...

Put down my first Cider in the Droid. Calling it the PinkLady Rocket Cider

Full recipe for those interested:

Yeast:   Fermentis safcider ac-4 @ 5g packet

Yeast Nutrient @ 4g packet

6x 1.50 litre bottles of The Apple Press Pink Lady Cold Pressed Apple Juice from Woolies

1x 1 litre bottle of Preshafruit Cold Pressed Pink Lady Apple Juice also from Woolies

500g of Dextrose

Set both Propagation and Fermentation at 21C.

Used the juice to dissolve the dextrose in a 2 litre jug that I had sanitised 100g at a time. Also used the juice to dissolve the yeast nutrient. I then poured all the juice into the Droid and it was just over the 10l mark so all good. Pitched the dry yeast straight from the packet, closed the lid on the Droid and started the brew using the app. Probably the simplest brew I've done yet.

I checked the original gravity (OG) of the Apple Press juice and it came in at 1.044. After adding all the juice with the dissolved dextrose I got a starting gravity (SG) of 1.070 which was exactly what I was shooting for so hopefully this will be around 7 to 7.5% ABV.

Will not be doing a secondary fermentation except for a single taster bottle as it will go into one of my 9.5l kegs and be force carbonated at 12 psi for about 2 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Set both Propagation and Fermentation at 21C.

Appears to be a top recipe. Now Wazza, we know you get a bit excited, worried which are both good things in brewing but bare in mind that generally ciders are quite slow to get going and slowly ferment away, sometimes it takes 15 to 20 days to EOF.

• Haha 2

@Captain 3 Droids  thank you for the kind words of warning.

Yeah, I am aware that ciders are slow to ferment which is why I wanted to get it down now before we go away and then during our holiday it can happily do it's thing and I won't be thinking about it at all.

I promise to not even check the viewing port every hour over the next day or two like I would normally  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, recieved notice today that after 14 days, 2 weeks exactly, the Cider has ended fermentation.

Based on advice from @Captain 3 Droids and from all that I've read and watched online, I was expecting something closer to 3 weeks to ferment out fully. Very pleasantly surprised.

Woo hoo!

2 days to cold crash and then into a 9.5l keg along with a single tasting bottle. At 3°C and 12psi in the Kegerator, can I expect to be drinking it in around 10 days or so after kegging or 14 plus days?

I have to say, looking thru the viewing port it looks good and wafting from the spew port it smells great so I'm pretty chuffed with how it's turned out so far so can't wait to try it.

Next up for Wazza's Droid will be the 2nd half of the All Inn NEIPA FWK. I removed it from the freezer about 5 days ago and it's now thawed and ready to go.

After that will be a proper partial mash Hazy IPA. I've brought myself a new Big W special 20l stock pot and I'm keen to try it again after that first time which resulted in a disastrous failure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So the PinkLady Rocket Cider has lived up to the name.

As it was cooling, at around the 10C mark, I took the first sample from the Droid to check the final gravity. I let it warm up to around room temp and...

Final ABV achieved... 1.000

WTF... OMG... I was not expecting that.

SG 1.070 FG 1.000 = ABV 9.19%

Call it 9.2% and I am absolutely stoked. First taste, the flavour was all apple and very very yummy, definitely dry on the pallet and yes, it was a bit tart but that is to be expected. Will let it mature over the next 2 plus weeks after the 2 days cold crash.

May end up back sweetening depending on what the wife thinks but damn, could not be happier.

That is some yeast, 2 weeks fermentation and a FG of 1.000.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

As it was cooling, at around the 10C mark, I took the first sample from the Droid to check the final gravity. I let it warm up to around room temp and...

Call it 9.2% and I am absolutely stoked. First taste, the flavour was all apple and very very yummy, definitely dry on the pallet and yes, it was a bit tart but that is to be expected. Will let it mature over the next 2 plus weeks after the 2 days cold crash.

May end up back sweetening depending on what the wife thinks but damn, could not be happier.

Great result, and 14 days in the Droid is a long fermentation in comparison with most and other general methods.

The dryness will reduce significantly over time and cold crashing. “back sweetening” should not be necessary however the wife is the final judge.

Great stuff Wazza

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

A you a whisky drinker by any chance mate? 😆

9% cider. $^%# that!

• Haha 2

What makes you think that?

Other than all the brewing gear, my Xmas present to myself last month, as I always try to buy myself an outstanding whisky twice a year for Xmas/New Years and my Birthday, was this beauty...

IMG-20211001-WA0000.thumb.jpg.08790beeaa0ed3b9cf216d46ec97f8f2.jpg

Islay whiskies are my preferred dram... smokey, peaty and always cask strength.

Yes, I do prefer higher ABV in my drinks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

What makes you think that?

Other than all the brewing gear, my Xmas present to myself last month, as I always try to buy myself an outstanding whisky twice a year for XmasNew Years and my Birthday, was this beauty...

IMG-20211001-WA0000.thumb.jpg.08790beeaa0ed3b9cf216d46ec97f8f2.jpg

Islay whiskies are my preferred dram... smokey, peaty and cask strength.

Coal Ila is one of my favourites. 👍

• Like 1

Brew no. 7 is complete as the Pinklady Rocket Cider is now kegged.

Best kegging and cleaning day so far. Not a single issue, went as smooth as I could imagine and no lost cider due to any mistakes such as open taps and other noob errors.

Split the cider across the 2x 5l iKegger's so that we can take one of the 5l kegs up to Newcastle next weekend for Chineese New Year with the in-laws.

Didn't end up doing a taster bottle as I just poured a full glass and drank it... yummmmm! Sometimes you just can't wait to try it  😁

There was a bit of sediment in the glass from the first part of the pour but the rest was good.

I did use the filter when kegging still because my wife prefers her cider less Hazy.

Both kegs are now sitting in the kegerator @12 psi. Two days before we travel to Newcastle I'll take one off the kegerator gas line, attach one of the mini-regs with sodastream bottle and crank it up to 20 psi.

I'll disconnect the mini-reg for the drive and when we get to Newcastle the keg will go into a fridge until we want a drink. At that point I will then reattach the mini-reg along with the tap and serve directly from the keg at 10-12 psi.

I won't tell anyone it's 9.2% and see if anyone picks up on it... 😎

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

First proper tasting after a few sneaky small tasting pours when my wife wasn't watching.

Damn this is good!

Smell, crisp tart apple 🍎 

Flavour, started out tart but then has mellowed out very nicely with just a hint of tart apple bite. Still very crisp apple tasting.

Can certainly feel the 9.2% alcohol but can't really taste it.

Will only get better with longer maturation I would imagine.

20220204_152828.thumb.jpg.2ebef657a6c8ba72a30f61d3ea760ddb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Cider No. 2 on in the new Wazza's Droid II.

This time went with 5x 2l

Nudie nothing but cloudy apple juice

Starting Gravity of the Apple juice was 1.052.

Added 250g Dextrose

For an Original Gravity of 1.060.

Went with a different yeast as well, Fermentis Safcider AB-1, which is supposed to result in a more balanced cider.

Also added half a heaped teaspoon of yeast nutrient. Apparently this is critical to avoid the "rhino farts" common when fermenting ciders.

If this finishes anything like the last Cider with a Final Gravity of 1.000 then I'm expecting around a final ABV of 7.88%.

Going with the obvious name for this Cider...

"Nudie Run Cider" because if you have too many of them at 7.88%, you could end up doing a nudie run...

LOL

• Like 3