Droid cleanse or commercial sanitiser ?

Paul84

On 21/02/2020 at 5:40 PM, Paul84 said:

So Brewmart delivery came today ... no Starsan . To say I am upset with Brewmart is am understatement . I tried ordering a couple of weeks ago and after a few days of radio silence called to say they didnt have some things (one being starsan) and if I wanted to continue with the order. I said no my order was primarily for star san and then some goodies to fill the box. 

So I waited a couple of weeks then put an order in again. Again radio silence and then just an Austpost tracking thing so thought it was all sweet. Again no starsan or a hop steeper. 

Talking to someone at work who also has to order homebrew supplies said this isnt new , they just sell what they have an not try to upsell or change the order. 

Oh well back to the drawing board for finding supplies lol

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1kg-Oxyper-Sodium-percarbonate-Beer-keg-and-line-heavy-duty-cleaner/322601319339?hash=item4b1c897bab:g:b-cAAOSwhfxZb4zd

I use something similar to this, 2 and a half tablespoons in the full droid for 90 mins, empty and go for it

24 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1kg-Oxyper-Sodium-percarbonate-Beer-keg-and-line-heavy-duty-cleaner/322601319339?hash=item4b1c897bab:g:b-cAAOSwhfxZb4zd

I use something similar to this, 2 and a half tablespoons in the full droid for 90 mins, empty and go for it

Sorry for correction Rob but that’s a cleaner, Paul’s after the sanitiser so he can be off and running within a few minutes.

On 21/02/2020 at 5:40 PM, Paul84 said:

So Brewmart delivery came today ... no Starsan . To say I am upset with Brewmart is am understatement . I tried ordering a couple of weeks ago and after a few days of radio silence called to say they didnt have some things (one being starsan) and if I wanted to continue with the order. I said no my order was primarily for star san and then some goodies to fill the box. 

So I waited a couple of weeks then put an order in again. Again radio silence and then just an Austpost tracking thing so thought it was all sweet. Again no starsan or a hop steeper. 

Talking to someone at work who also has to order homebrew supplies said this isnt new , they just sell what they have an not try to upsell or change the order. 

Oh well back to the drawing board for finding supplies lol

What a poor result.

Paul, might be worth the $15 express postage?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264564530369

Same as Star san.

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

What a poor result.

Paul, might be worth the $15 express postage?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264564530369

Same as Star san.

Do you rate Steller San Mark? I have been looking at that too . Seems like the way to go , its the only thing i really need atm 

17 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Ordered and hopefully here by Wednesday . So I will be bottling this one on Friday and hopefully have another brew straight in 🙂 . I am thinking the coopers pale since I have the hops for it now 😉

A good move. The Brewprint Coopers Pale Ale doesn’t call for hops so what are you going to add? (adding hops is good).

12 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Giving the Schemsheet version a run . 30g of challenger & 30g of cascade . First go of Dry hopping 🙂

If you like strong hop flavour then fine, but imo a total of 60g hops is going to over power the base brew. I’d suggest 15g of each. For your first dry hop I’d start less than more. At least if you follow my advice and it’s not enough then at least you have someone to blame.😊

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Good idea , i would rather be conservative and add extra next time ( plus my hops last me twice as long haha) . The hop sock i got is massive though lol . Might be getting cut down . Are the hop socks reusable ? 

Yes reusable, clean and sanitise well. I had a big sock and cut It down to make 4 tubes. Tie knot one end, hops in and tie end. When finished undo both end for easy cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

So bought the Stellar San , express ... didnt come express. Anyways I have done a brew and sanitized all my stuff . Used the Stellar San this time and i know its no rinse and everyone says dont worry about the bubbles.... buuuut , no dramas using Star/Stellar San . It cant effect yeast or second fermentation at all ? 

38 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So bought the Stellar San , express ... didnt come express. Anyways I have done a brew and sanitized all my stuff . Used the Stellar San this time and i know its no rinse and everyone says dont worry about the bubbles.... buuuut , no dramas using Star/Stellar San . It cant effect yeast or second fermentation at all ? 

Paul, it is a bit hard to comprehend but as they say “don’t fear the foam”

I use it, drain or like the droid spay inside before the next brew, 

13 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Paul, it is a bit hard to comprehend but as they say “don’t fear the foam”

I use it, drain or like the droid spay inside before the next brew, 

Yeah I just followed protocol. Rinsed and bottled . There was a bit of foam coming out when bottling but i wasnt overly concerned , just thought it was worth the ask.. had to waste a bit though couldnt work out how to get such a small amount in a spray bottle so made 5litres and rinsed all my bottles instead and some in the droid 

5 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah I just followed protocol. Rinsed and bottled . There was a bit of foam coming out when bottling but i wasnt overly concerned , just thought it was worth the ask.. had to waste a bit though couldnt work out how to get such a small amount in a spray bottle so made 5litres and rinsed all my bottles instead and some in the droid 

Get a 3 ml or 6ml syringe (without the needle of course) from the chemist. 

• Upvote 1