Milkshake IPA

Meredith LC

6 hours ago, Meredith LC said:

Has anyone attempted to customize an IPA brewprint to make a milkshake IPA? I'm considering trying to halve my Pineapple Crush IPA - 5L without lactose, 5L with lactose, assuming I should add the lactose with the hops after EOF. Any advise? 

Hi Meredith, Mark here. No not in an IPA but in stouts. No reason why you can’t and try It. Lactose is non fermentable so won’t increase alcohol % but will provide sweetness and creaminess.

How much are you going to add? I would also put it in at the beginning and let it develop during fermentation as not sure how it will be just added to a keg, just settle on the bottom?

On 14/01/2020 at 5:46 AM, Barrelboy said:

Hi Meredith, Mark here. No not in an IPA but in stouts. No reason why you can’t and try It. Lactose is non fermentable so won’t increase alcohol % but will provide sweetness and creaminess.

How much are you going to add? I would also put it in at the beginning and let it develop during fermentation as not sure how it will be just added to a keg, just settle on the bottom?

That’s a good tip regarding adding it at the start. Most clone recipes for a variety of beers call for a little less than a half kilo for a 19 liter batch, so I was considering halving that. 

20 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

What did you end up doing?

I’ve got a wicked pumpkin finishing up fermenting, and I’m trying to decide which to make next, this IPA or a clone that Liam helped me create for a coconut porter. Unfortunately I only have two sets of bottles and I can’t drink as quickly as I’d like to brew!

12 minutes ago, Meredith LC said:

I’ve got a wicked pumpkin finishing up fermenting, and I’m trying to decide which to make next, this IPA or a clone that Liam helped me create for a coconut porter. Unfortunately I only have two sets of bottles and I can’t drink as quickly as I’d like to brew!

With bottles, if your a member of the Coopers Club you can get a box or 15 bottles for about $16, delivered free. Then you can build up a bit of a stock and they’ll mature nicely.

2 hours ago, Meredith LC said:

Thanks, but I’m in the US. My limitation is more about storage space living in the city!

Yeah my back room is slowly being taken over. I think I will be sticking to glass bottles and the brewart kits, but I also seem to drink them quicker then brewing lol. Good to see someone from the states. The coconut porter sounds interesting . I made am imperial stout with a Bourbon and some with a Whisky addition . Both are delicious 😉 , as is the original

• 2 years later...

I'm planning something similar:

Pineapple Crush as per brewprint, with:

- add lactose (maybe 250g according to @Meredith LC's research

- add maltodextrin. I'm not sure how much since the lactose is meant to also add a bunch of body

- 1L pineapple juice on day 3 instead of at the start since apparently that gives more "juice" flavour

21 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

- add maltodextrin. I'm not sure how much since the lactose is meant to also add a bunch of body

- 1L pineapple juice on day 3 instead of at the start since apparently that gives more "juice" flavour

I think with the pineapple and Maltodextrin 250g of lactose for a 10l brew could be a bit much, imo I’d drop it back to 150g

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 03/02/2022 at 5:38 PM, Gillies Brewing said:

It's on!

Pineapple Crush as per brewprint plus:

I kept the 250g lactose (dissolved in hot water, poured in. It sunk hard...) cos if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing. I also put in a heaped tablespoon or so of maltodextrin because I have poor impulse control 😅

Day 3: 1L pineapple juice will go in. All I can get here is uht golden circle so that's what I'm using

EOF Dry-Hop: 25g Citra, 25g BRU-1 because I saw it at hop and grain and thought it sounds exactly like what I want (pineapple for days), and my research showed some people had success brewing milkshakes with it

I'm very excited, if you don't get updates assume I got hit by a truck or something.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Snapchat-383880257.thumb.jpg.4ebd241bad3a7a85826404368e46fc49.jpg

Well so far it's delicious! Bottled today, and honestly I could drink this uncarbonated. It's like drinking a popper of tropical flavour juice. I think it might be the perfect amount of sweetness with the 250g lactose. I was a bit worried it hadn't all dissolved as it was a bit grainy at the bottom of the container when I put the lactose in, but I couldn't see any in the trub, and it was definitely sweetened. The sweetness isn't over-the-top like a soft drink or anything, it's just different to how beer is normally, complementing the fruity hops. There's a mild hop bitterness that comes through at the end, but it's like an afterthought - surprising after putting 50g DH in there!)

Updates in 2 weeks!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update: it's amazing

20220624_151637.thumb.jpg.9523d04af920d406234cb2b2aba1b6cc.jpg

I actually had one last week as a tester and it was maybe a little sweeter than today, but I didn't take any piccies, then went to the Brewers Of Own Beer Society meet and it came second (hopsession took out the win for me!). I proceeded to get myself in a way where I didn't want to see another beer or talk about beer for a while ...

It is exactly what I want. The pineapple and bru1/citra combo is super fruity, juicy, floral on the nose and easy to drink. It has a tangyness from the pineapple which is lovely, but isn't like a sour or a hygiene issue so it's not overpowering. It doesn't taste especially boozy. The sweetness really complements and exaggerates the fruit flavours which is obviously the desired effect, while there's a little bit of a bitter finish that makes it feel like a toffee and is quite balanced. The mouthfeel is thick and velvety, which results in a strong, persistent head. In a chilled headmaster this creates that creamy tight foam almost like a nitro brew.

Pretty sure this is an early drinker but I'll probably have a few bottles sitting around a fair while so I'll let you know if there's any big changes.

Strong recommendation. Great experiment. I'd totally keep using the Bru-1 and Citra mix. If you're a bitterness head you could up the amounts a bit I guess, but I like it as it is. Potential changes include:

- as I said it was a little sweeter last week, which I kinda liked, and I'd consider upping to 275/300g lactose. I'd probably ditch the maltodextrin if I did that.

- My understanding is that traditional all grain milkshakes steep oats, which you could do to really up the haze (there's a bit in the recipe but like more of a wheat haze than an oat haze). Again I'd ditch the maltodextrin if I did that. Really there's no *need* for the malto in this recipe, but hey if you've got it use it, this beer is meant to be thicc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just as a note, on a flavour level it's absolutely what I'd call "sessionable" but it's so dense that honestly by the end of 700mls if you don't take it slowly you're almost chewing it. Plus it's somewhere between 6 and 7% depending on the pineapple juice so after a long week 1 tallie can really hit you for six

• Like 1