Has anyone attempted to customize an IPA brewprint to make a milkshake IPA? I'm considering trying to halve my Pineapple Crush IPA - 5L without lactose, 5L with lactose, assuming I should add the lactose with the hops after EOF. Any advise? 

6 hours ago, Meredith LC said:

Has anyone attempted to customize an IPA brewprint to make a milkshake IPA? I'm considering trying to halve my Pineapple Crush IPA - 5L without lactose, 5L with lactose, assuming I should add the lactose with the hops after EOF. Any advise? 

Hi Meredith, Mark here. No not in an IPA but in stouts. No reason why you can’t and try It. Lactose is non fermentable so won’t increase alcohol % but will provide sweetness and creaminess.

How much are you going to add? I would also put it in at the beginning and let it develop during fermentation as not sure how it will be just added to a keg, just settle on the bottom?

@Meredith LC, i havent personally done this but I would be interested in your results . My favourite beer atm ( other then my own haha) is the 3 ravens salted caramel . That one is delicious . 

• Thanks 1

On 14/01/2020 at 5:46 AM, Barrelboy said:

Hi Meredith, Mark here. No not in an IPA but in stouts. No reason why you can’t and try It. Lactose is non fermentable so won’t increase alcohol % but will provide sweetness and creaminess.

How much are you going to add? I would also put it in at the beginning and let it develop during fermentation as not sure how it will be just added to a keg, just settle on the bottom?

That’s a good tip regarding adding it at the start. Most clone recipes for a variety of beers call for a little less than a half kilo for a 19 liter batch, so I was considering halving that. 

20 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

What did you end up doing?

I’ve got a wicked pumpkin finishing up fermenting, and I’m trying to decide which to make next, this IPA or a clone that Liam helped me create for a coconut porter. Unfortunately I only have two sets of bottles and I can’t drink as quickly as I’d like to brew!

12 minutes ago, Meredith LC said:

I’ve got a wicked pumpkin finishing up fermenting, and I’m trying to decide which to make next, this IPA or a clone that Liam helped me create for a coconut porter. Unfortunately I only have two sets of bottles and I can’t drink as quickly as I’d like to brew!

With bottles, if your a member of the Coopers Club you can get a box or 15 bottles for about $16, delivered free. Then you can build up a bit of a stock and they’ll mature nicely.

2 hours ago, Meredith LC said:

Thanks, but I’m in the US. My limitation is more about storage space living in the city!

Yeah my back room is slowly being taken over. I think I will be sticking to glass bottles and the brewart kits, but I also seem to drink them quicker then brewing lol. Good to see someone from the states. The coconut porter sounds interesting . I made am imperial stout with a Bourbon and some with a Whisky addition . Both are delicious 😉 , as is the original