Green apples

I brew in a beerdroid and keg Into mininkegs with ball lock fittings. I am impatient. Have brewed the American pale ale that came with the droid, kegged and force carbonated - nice drop. Then went into a couple of lagers. Kegged, force carbonated and had a crack. Both taste like green apples. Read up on acetaldehydes and looks like I need patience. Did I mention I don’t have patience? I happened to have kegged into two 5 litre kegs for one of the lagers and left the second keg for about a month at 15 degrees. Guess what? Tastes heaps better.

I guess the point of this post is even tho you can drink the beer fairly quickly when kegging and force carbonating, you really should leave the beer for at least a month if you want it to taste the way it should (and not be embarrassed when you pour a pint for your mates). 

6 hours ago, Jared King said:

I brew in a beerdroid and keg Into mininkegs with ball lock fittings. I am impatient. Have brewed the American pale ale that came with the droid, kegged and force carbonated - nice drop. Then went into a couple of lagers. Kegged, force carbonated and had a crack. Both taste like green apples. Read up on acetaldehydes and looks like I need patience. Did I mention I don’t have patience? I happened to have kegged into two 5 litre kegs for one of the lagers and left the second keg for about a month at 15 degrees. Guess what? Tastes heaps better.

I guess the point of this post is even tho you can drink the beer fairly quickly when kegging and force carbonating, you really should leave the beer for at least a month if you want it to taste the way it should (and not be embarrassed when you pour a pint for your mates). 

Hi Jared, Mark here. You have made some good points and I do the same as you, ie keg to ss ball lock 10l kegs, purge, prior to consumption I chill,  force carb with co2 and back into the fridge for consumption. Now consumption is mostly 4 weeks plus however some (usually lager) just over 2 weeks. I have not experienced the “green apple” from early drinking since substituting the “H” hops with equivalent in hop pellets. (Min 24hrs dry hop). I believe some lagers are better fresh in any event.

Hi Mark, coincidentally I just bought a bunch of pellet hops.  From what I’ve read from your posts (you are very helpful by the way!!!) and others is that you place them in the beerdroid when fermentation is complete? Leave for couple of days then keg? Thanks mate!

30 minutes ago, Jared King said:

Hi Mark, coincidentally I just bought a bunch of pellet hops.  From what I’ve read from your posts (you are very helpful by the way!!!) and others is that you place them in the beerdroid when fermentation is complete? Leave for couple of days then keg? Thanks mate!

Thanks for the compliment, it’s a good site here and everyone informative/helpful and no crap so to speak.

I dry hop using a hop bag and did put it into the droid when informed “ready to keg” then leave for 24hours however in most cases now I tend to predict when fermentation is to complete and put the bag in beforehand. (don’t like the droids being “idle” for 24hrs, need them producing, lol) Sometimes it may be in there for a couple of days however this has not effected the outcome, in my opinion. (over time I’ve recorded the fermentation days for each brew and have a fairly good indication of the finishing days so usually close to it).

I work on 10g per each  “H” of the recipe however more as to your liking.

I take it your just started with the Beerdroid, did you brew before and your particular liking? 

Cheers, Mark

@Barrelboy this is the first time I’ve homebrewed. I’m kind of time poor so beerdroid fits at the moment. Four brews so far, American pale ale, top end lager, cerveza and blonde low carb. Pineapple IPA brewing at the moment which I’m exited to try👍👍. My daily is great northern but I like Pale ales from time to time. I actually drink a bit of Emu export when I want to splash out on a premium beer ;) so I’d like to figure out the recipe. 

@Rob Courtney Lagers from BrewArt ingredients. How do the cans go? Seeing mixed reviews on here. 

cheers lads

95654321-824A-41B9-8316-BB89BAF3D5AC.jpeg

Edited by Jared King
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jared King said:

@Rob Courtney Lagers from BrewArt ingredients. How do the cans go? Seeing mixed reviews on here. 

c

I have to admit, I use a Brewflo ( has always worked for me, if I had known before about kegs, I may have tried that but spent my cash and it works for me)

In saying that, and I'm not sure how force carbing affects the brew, I am always keen to give brews at least 6 weeks til I try them ( I basically drink lagers/pilsners) whether in a bottle or Brewflo. The earliest I have  given lagers a go before friends have tried them is 6 weeks...and they have been impressed. I have read folks who force carb saying they still give the brew a few weeks before consuming though  but I would trust Marks time lines on that. I do remember my first three or so brews I did I drank early and they were OK, without making me happy I splashed cash on the units. I had a chat to Liam from Brewart and he said 8 weeks was the sweet spot, so I had to explain to the missus why I bought a few cartons whilst I moved my time frame out to 8 weeks, after dropping a gorilla on Brewart 

As for cans...I amused the brew shop guy by using some cans, I won't do it twice. I'm not sure they ( for lagers) work as well as brewprints, maybe the ales work better.

I mainly do Brewprint recipes with purchased ingredients, do kit brews with wort into the droids and combinations of both.

I’m a fan of Coopers brew tins, good range and Big W have 20% off 2 to 3 times a year. However the quality is greatly improved by not using the the enhancers or dextrose. I use light dry malt extract (bulk 5kg bags) or dry wheat and or dry amber malts depending on the recipe. Steeping hops, grains and or dry hopping as another possible additive. Usually do these for something special as the Brewprint ingredients are great, easy to use with top results.

Great looking Keezer and welcome to the brewing world. 

@Rob Courtney just going to have to learn some patience I guess 😂. There’s def more that one way to skin a cat and the results are all that matters. I think I’ll have to get another couple of kegs so the production/consumption line isn’t interrupted. I drank a 5lt keg by myself the other day so maybe a few more kegs ...

@Barrelboy thanks mate! yeah I do like the ease of using brewart ingredients. I used a different yeast from the local brew shop for the pineapple crush and thinking of chucking in some pellets, just for something different. I bought a cider kit as well so will see how that goes. Seems like premium ingredients = better results at trade off in price. Makes sense I guess. 

Edited by Jared King

3 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I have to admit, I use a Brewflo ( has always worked for me, if I had known before about kegs, I may have tried that but spent my cash and it works for me)

In saying that, and I'm not sure how force carbing affects the brew, I am always keen to give brews at least 6 weeks til I try them ( I basically drink lagers/pilsners) whether in a bottle or Brewflo. The earliest I have  given lagers a go before friends have tried them is 6 weeks...and they have been impressed. I have read folks who force carb saying they still give the brew a few weeks before consuming though  but I would trust Marks time lines on that. I do remember my first three or so brews I did I drank early and they were OK, without making me happy I splashed cash on the units. I had a chat to Liam from Brewart and he said 8 weeks was the sweet spot, so I had to explain to the missus why I bought a few cartons whilst I moved my time frame out to 8 weeks, after dropping a gorilla on Brewart 

As for cans...I amused the brew shop guy by using some cans, I won't do it twice. I'm not sure they ( for lagers) work as well as brewprints, maybe the ales work better.

Ales are better Rob. Agree that carbonation with a “sugar” primer that 8 weeks is a good time for consumption and i certainly left mine for that time plus when I used to bottle. However with co2 (kegging) you achieve instant carbonation when you like after chilling and then let it sit in the fridge for a while. I find the co2 provides a crispness to the brew and although maturing is required it can be drunk earlier that with the sugar priming. (Imo)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jared King said:

@Rob Courtney just going to have to learn some patience I guess 😂. There’s def more that one way to skin a cat and the results are all that matters. I think I’ll have to get another couple of kegs so the production/consumption line isn’t interrupted. I drank a 5lt keg by myself the other day so maybe a few more kegs ...

May be the way to go. I must admit, I was a disbeliever when Liam told me 8 weeks but when I got there I was like "fair enough, you could be right". Have not looked back since TBH, just drumk beer so good that now when I have my old staple beer (boags premium) I think "meh". To put it into some context, last Sunday, when we won the semi at cricket, a few boys were talking about "when do we get more of Robs beers"

It is a little cool to get that sort of feedback but when the same guys saying this could easily afford three droids and an Ikegger four piece fridge without flinching, it amazes you they go the Dans route

4 minutes ago, Jared King said:

@Barrelboy thanks mate! yeah I do like the ease of using brewart ingredients. I used a different yeast from the local brew shop for the pineapple crush and thinking of chucking in some pellets, just for something different. I bought a cider kit as well so will see how that goes. Seems like premium ingredients = better results at trade off in price. Makes sense I guess. 

Remember with the cans you get 2 x 10l brews so with the other additions it is quite cheap. As said mainly do the cans for something special or to experiment or if run out of required Brewprint ingredients either because I stuffed up, I brewed and drank too much (like that excuse) or bloody Aust. Post delays.

2 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

May be the way to go. I must admit, I was a disbeliever when Liam told me 8 weeks but when I got there I was like "fair enough, you could be right". Have not looked back since TBH, just drumk beer so good that now when I have my old staple beer (boags premium) I think "meh". To put it into some context, last Sunday, when we won the semi at cricket, a few boys were talking about "when do we get more of Robs beers"

It is a little cool to get that sort of feedback but when the same guys saying this could easily afford three droids and an Ikegger four piece fridge without flinching, it amazes you they go the Dans route

Congratulations on the cricket Rob. Your so right when others genuinely comment on how good your beer is. When my boys pop in it’s more of “what’s on tap” rather than “how are you going dad” ha.
I’ve done calculations on brew costs (in terms of slabs vs what I’ve paid for my droids against equivalent slabs at Dan’s price and boy, getting further in front every brew.

4 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Congratulations on the cricket Rob. Your so right when others genuinely comment on how good your beer is. When my boys pop in it’s more of “what’s on tap” rather than “how are you going dad” ha.
I’ve done calculations on brew costs (in terms of slabs vs what I’ve paid for my droids against equivalent slabs at Dan’s price and boy, getting further in front every brew.

Oh the price...carton a fortnight, with some sneaky bottles or $500 for the year, not a contest.

No congrats yet, have won more than my fair share of semis, at 50, have stepped up to the ones trying to get success. Hopefully,  do not have to bat or bowl and get a medal, the last medal I can possibly get, the one I want most. Obviously, if I get the medal and a ton, well that'd be sweet as :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well gents, I've just chucked some mosaic hops in the pineapple crush (i hope that's a good pairing) and had a bit of a sniff with the lid off. I thought i could smell apples so i poured a bit from the tap and had a sniff/taste - no apples. Actually tastes bloody brilliant as is, wondering if the hops are required 💁‍♂️

Will keg after 24 hours and force carb, drinkies friday night. I've been talking this one up. Had a few requests for mango - i assume you can substitute pineapple juice for mango juice.

Next up is a Kremlin Stout so its ready for winter :)

6 hours ago, Jared King said:

Well gents, I've just chucked some mosaic hops in the pineapple crush (i hope that's a good pairing) and had a bit of a sniff with the lid off. I thought i could smell apples so i poured a bit from the tap and had a sniff/taste - no apples. Actually tastes bloody brilliant as is, wondering if the hops are required 💁‍♂️

Will keg after 24 hours and force carb, drinkies friday night. I've been talking this one up. Had a few requests for mango - i assume you can substitute pineapple juice for mango juice.

Next up is a Kremlin Stout so its ready for winter :)

Glad it tastes to your liking. If you can smell the apple then I reckon it is there, should come out when carbonated I suspect. Also a bit from the tap may not be the best evaluation for the Apple. 
Will be interested in the outcome.

And yes, go the mango - no preservatives 

• 10 months later...
On 03/03/2020 at 7:06 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Remember with the cans you get 2 x 10l brews so with the other additions it is quite cheap. As said mainly do the cans for something special or to experiment or if run out of required Brewprint ingredients either because I stuffed up, I brewed and drank too much (like that excuse) or bloody Aust. Post delays.

Curious about the can route.  While waiting for the new brew prints to arrive bought a 23L can and a 500g of malt. 

I reckon just pitch 50% of both in the droid and do two batches.   Am I missing any key steps?

cheers legends,

JP

6 hours ago, J P said:

Curious about the can route.  While waiting for the new brew prints to arrive bought a 23L can and a 500g of malt. 

I reckon just pitch 50% of both in the droid and do two batches.   Am I missing any key steps?

cheers legends,

JP

No spot on, however don’t just pour half the tin directly into the droid, you need to dissolve in warm/hot water first either with the 250g of malt or you can pour the dissolved 1/2 tin into the droid, fill to 10l sprinkle the yeast and then add the malt on top.