Robs "Golden Balls" Lager

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

OK, after 9 longnecks for the weekend, I think there is a lot of experimentation to still happen with this beer. There is a lot to like about it and it drank really well young and still was good later on but I think with the wheat in the brew, maybe that much Hersbrucker stood out a bit too much  at 10 weeks. 

I think this brew has a lot of potential but a bit more work still to go.

Who would have thought Liams job was so hard? I thought it was all drinking a few beers and then playing games of "delivery dock cricket" but it may actually be more than that 

Still a few weeks before I try it, will be interested as to the Co2 carbonation via bottle gas will have. 
I’ll stick with 12g of each hop for proper evaluation. 

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2020 at 6:39 AM, Barrelboy said:

Still a few weeks before I try it, will be interested as to the Co2 carbonation via bottle gas will have. 
I’ll stick with 12g of each hop for proper evaluation. 

Actually think I hopped this for 5+ days so that may have contributed to the strong flavour 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:-

In the Droid 24/5 and kegged 2/6 into a maturing keg (will clear it up as well) after a 9 day fermentation.

Transferred to a 10l “consuming” keg today after 4 and a bit weeks. Will be 2 to 3 weeks before main fridge unless I move it forward. 6 weeks about right @Rob Courtney

Ps when releasing gas from the keg it smelt absolutely delicious.

Yeah, I had it at 

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Update:-

In the Droid 24/5 and kegged 2/6 into a maturing keg (will clear it up as well) after a 9 day fermentation.

Transferred to a 10l “consuming” keg today after 4 and a bit weeks. Will be 2 to 3 weeks before main fridge unless I move it forward. 6 weeks about right @Rob Courtney

Ps when releasing gas from the keg it smelt absolutely delicious.

Yeah, I had it first at 5 weeks and it was good, should have tried it as well at 4 just to get a better picture. I think my biggest issue with it is that I tried to judge the day before RTK and dry hopped on that day, which left the hops in for maybe 6 days when it went to 12 days before hitting RTK so mine was a little hop heavy.

Hopefully you like it :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

So on Fridayt went to the wake of my wifes Auntie ( she had a good life and had over 300 people turn up to her service) but at the wake I opened up the eskie to see one of these in the eskie...

Just going to say, two and a half years may  be a bit long for a lager...

Must have left at her Aunties house or her parents for that to happen

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

It's amazing what gems you can find reading old postings.  I am about to start my own batch of Rob's Golden Balls Lager.  I will be substituting Hallertau for the Hersbrucker, however.  Looking forward to it.  I have enjoyed Golden Days of Summer Ale so the lager version should be great.

Thanks for presenting this recipe, Rob.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

It's amazing what gems you can find reading old postings.  I am about to start my own batch of Rob's Golden Balls Lager.  I will be substituting Hallertau for the Hersbrucker, however.  Looking forward to it.  I have enjoyed Golden Days of Summer Ale so the lager version should be great.

Thanks for presenting this recipe, Rob.

So just going Hallertau or half and half with Saaz?

I was umming and ahhing over just doing it Hallertau, hadn't quite made up my mind on the hops yet

• Like 1

For those wondering about the story of how I came up with this brew, we have to go way back to when I first met Liam at a brewing competition, I don't think he was a big fan of mine. Of course, this was before @BrewArt Team Liam grew his beard 

1.png.0d184094dee804d079e58b20f3210f07.png

So I made my brew and entered it. The judge, Montgomery Cooper was very intrigued and listened to how I added an E1, 2 X E5 and 2 of the X2 but to make things even better, I added a Y9 yeast

2.png.2e78c84a688b0d7ad850ee09eddcb4fb.png

Liam wasn't impressed, he thought I stole his recipe

3.png.6689b72e0c220710cdd9b4318ff44466.png

But in the end, when the judging was done...

4.png.d64287b471fe34f30537c80a0b1ef04a.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So just going Hallertau or half and half with Saaz?

I was umming and ahhing over just doing it Hallertau, hadn't quite made up my mind on the hops yet

Don't have Hersbrucker, so just subbing for it with Hallertau.  Will still use the Saaz,

• 12g Hallertau
  • 12g Saaz

I stock 17 types of pellet hops (in the freezer) but didn't include Hersbrucker.  Maybe I need to up it to 18?

• Haha 1

Steve,

There is also a yeast comparison tool and other goodies at BeerMaverick.com.  I haven't explored the yeast comparison tool yet, since I am using mostly BrewArt yeasts as per recipe - and they have worked well.  Later, I plan to branch out in that area too, but not yet.

This tool could be interesting and useful, however.

Edited by Thagomizer
grammer correction
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

@Rob Courtney

It is launched.  Rob's Golden Balls Lager has been started in my Pushmataha droid.  I am looking forward to this one.

E1, E5*2, X2*2, Y9
12g Saaz, 12g Hallertau: to be added at dry hopping prompt.

Custom Setting:

• Propagate: 72F
  • Ferment: 54F
  • Keg: 64F
  • Store: 39F
  • Dry Hop: Yes

🙂 Happy brewing.

Doing similar but without the dry hop program

2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I did my lagers last year with a custom dry hop program and I preferred the taste of just dry hopping for 2 days after EOF. It wasn't a huge difference but enough for me to notice

Now, I understand.  I thought you meant forgoing the dry hops.  But without the automation, you need to schedule the cold crashing and returning to kegging temperature, yourself.  OK.  You have decided that it is worth it.  I'll be happy to hear the results.

🙂 Happy brewing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

Now, I understand.  I thought you meant forgoing the dry hops.  But without the automation, you need to schedule the cold crashing and returning to kegging temperature, yourself.  OK.  You have decided that it is worth it.  I'll be happy to hear the results.

🙂 Happy brewing.

I should say EOF, hop the beer for 2 days and then it goes to storage until I get to it, usually the day after

• Rob Courtney changed the title to Robs "Golden Balls" Lager