The Original Pilsner

1 minute ago, Robert Pretty said:

Bottling this tomorrow. After a very short 8 day fermentation for a Lager. What's best drinking on this 4 to 6 weeks, or longer. Have hopped with 4x H4 liquid pouches. As didn't have any suitable DH's.

At 4 weeks you should certainly crack a few however leave some (if possible) for 6 weeks to compare. 

• 3 weeks later...

The original Pilsner just on 3 weeks. Double hop this with 4x H4.  Quiet good for a Lager. Not sure if I like this or the Czech Pilsner the best. Sometimes it is good to have an easy drinker to wash the dust down and cleanse the palate. Before partaking in something with real flavour. Hopped up IPA.😀

IMG_20220315_185757428.jpg

Edited by Robert Pretty
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Put this one on and I have just got to dry hop stage (I just do everything custom now so I dry hop before EOF) and I have added 15 gms of Saaz and 25 gms of "Summer hops". I came across these at the brew store and asked the Brew guy what they were like and he shrugged his shoulders and said "No idea"

I appreciate honesty, so i looked it up and it is an Australian derivate of Saaz (could be Austrian derivate...I am not the best reader) that is low acid and has a more melon taste, so I'm giving it a red hot go.

Will I be telling you guys in 10 weeks to get your hands on "Summer Hops"? Doubtful but we will see. Bitterness of Saaz with some fruit shining through, I'd be happy with that

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/09/2022 at 6:02 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Will be interesting,  they are not an over powering hop in terms of flavour - delicate. This may be just the thing to match with Saaz.

Bottled today, tasted very nice out of the droid, I hope it continues on though as I'd like to add some citrus flavour to pilsners without overpowering

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2022 at 6:02 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Will be interesting,  they are not an over powering hop in terms of flavour - delicate. This may be just the thing to match with Saaz.

3 and a half weeks in...had to try a stubbie and surprised it took this long...

Ok to be honest, it needs to get to 6 weeks to get a better idea, I am hoping Summer hops makes it great but we will see. A bit to like a bit to be unsure on, does it need to be just Summer hops, does Summer Hops have a bit of Tettang taste to it?

All these questions and more will be answered soon :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Sampled this tonight. Ridiculously early, (nine days in the bottle).

Dry hopped it with 30g of both Hallertau and Tettnang. Already showing a shit load of potential. 
A really dry and crisp finish with  a subtle underlying herbal flavour.

Hopefully this particular lager will reach it’s potential and not leave me a hopeless shell of a home brewer as so many of its lager predecessors have,

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey all, 

Sampled this tonight. Ridiculously early, (nine days in the bottle).

Dry hopped it with 30g of both Hallertau and Tettnang. Already showing a shit load of potential. 
A really dry and crisp finish with  a subtle underlying herbal flavour.

Hopefully this particular lager will reach it’s potential and not leave me a hopeless shell of a home brewer as so many of its lager predecessors have,

Should be a good drop with the hop choices and amount. Will mellow over time however this brew is a good early drinker (imo) at 4 weeks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have just left this except for a couple of stubbies, haven't been hugely impressed but tried a longneck of this tonight, 25gms each of Saaz and Summer hops. For those who have tried this particular Czech beer, it is very reminiscent of Pilsner Urquell. It wasn't quite where I was aiming with "melon" flavours but at 9 weeks that is very nice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Have just left this except for a couple of stubbies, haven't been hugely impressed but tried a longneck of this tonight, 25gms each of Saaz and Summer hops. For those who have tried this particular Czech beer, it is very reminiscent of Pilsner Urquell. It wasn't quite where I was aiming with "melon" flavours but at 9 weeks that is very nice.

3 months in and i reckon mixing this summer ale with lemondrop hops is on the cards. I don't mind this because it is very noble hops flavour but may not be for everyone but a touch of citrus/fruit without going down the Citra path (not that there is anythimng wrong with that) may just balance it out a bit.

Still, at least this was an experiment where you can see the scope for improvement whilst still enjoying the fruits of your labour

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, Wolf said:

Brains trust

Just stopped off at jindabyne brewery and they have a 6.5% pilsner on tap currently. Any suggestions on how to amp up the booze content without adding bitterness or sweetness? Assume it isn't a matter of just adding 2xX5?

Extra X5 (dextrose) will boost alcohol

I find it drier when you add more dextrose strangely, BUT if you add too much it gets boozy. 

OR add an extra E1 and E5?

from my understanding is that  you gain about 1% per pouch of E/X added. 

it’ll depend on what your favourite flavour profiles Are.  That’s the beauty of this system.  So tweakable. 

• 3 months later...
On 03/12/2022 at 9:34 PM, Rob Courtney said:

3 months in and i reckon mixing this summer ale with lemondrop hops is on the cards.

I meant Summer hops not ale when I typed that, possibly a touch smashed when I did.

So, I did do this with Summer Hops and Lemon Drop Hops, I didn't record but I suspect it was 12.5 gms of each. This was fine in the taste test out of the droid, the other one before was far better out of the droid but now that it is 5 and a half weeks out of the droid...

zach galifianakis robert redford nod of approval jeremiah johnson celebs bradurdung film & animation GIF

It is one of those times that for all the experimenting you can do and you are kind of happy with but will keep experimenting, this one hit the mark. Of course I wonder what 10gms of Tettang, Summer Hops and Lemondrop hops is like...

Seriously though, may change my next order up to have a couple more OPs in it to do this hop mix, this is a pretty good craft lager, one of those if I was at a brewery and they pulled a pint of this, I'd hand the keys over the bar and settle in

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Going through a few of these tonight, maybe 10ish weeks in, maybe some of the flavour I really liked has disappeared but still a very easy drinking lager. Not as crisp as say a Bohemian lager but very nice still, may try it stock standard with the next brew to compare as i have mucked around with the hops a fair bit on this one

• Upvote 1

On 03/12/2022 at 9:34 PM, Rob Courtney said:

3 months in and i reckon mixing this summer ale with lemondrop hops is on the cards. I don't mind this because it is very noble hops flavour but may not be for everyone but a touch of citrus/fruit without going down the Citra path (not that there is anythimng wrong with that) may just balance it out a bit.

Still, at least this was an experiment where you can see the scope for improvement whilst still enjoying the fruits of your labour

I found a couple of these in the boxes a couple of days ago when I was making space,  no date on them so I was suspicious but happy to give them a go. They definitely aren't the new mix so must be the ones from September. Still holds up, so there is that, lagers lasting 8 months is OK. I do have another one of these so I may leave it for as long as I can but still not to bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/06/2023 at 10:05 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Have this in the droid at the moment, has just ramped up the temp, very tempted to go back to stock standard on this one to gauge where it is at as far as a recipe

So, stock standard, 20gms of Saaz and 7 weeks in. This is a beer that I have mucked around with as far as hops choices go, the last time I did it stock standard I reckon it was before I dried hopped a brew.

This with a BBQ chicken Bah Mi...it was just so nice, crisp, clear, nice bitterness. Would have taken a picture but that meant touching my phone and touching my phone meant reading my work emails so...I'll leave the phone til tomorrow. Honestly, the number of work emails that get sent on Sunday, why do people bother?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have a couple of these going tonight, really nice.

Crisp lager with a nice amount of bitterness. I mean not as bitter as my mate Dave when I started dating his missus after they broke up. Sadly he was included in the text group and saw those words " I have never been as filled like I was by Rob tonight"

Poor bugger, how was he to know she was referring to the restaurant I took her to that had a 12-course degustation event on. Boy weren't we stuffed that night, way too stuffed for any late night shennanigans.

On the positive he does call me "the bigger man"

Still, just a really nice example of a crisp pilsner

IMG_1662.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/12/2023 at 9:58 PM, Rob Courtney said:

I brewed this one and hopped with 12.5 gms of Saaz and 12.5 gms of Citra. 

Not bad , not bad at all, five weeks in, very nice pilsner, bit of fruit in it to make it a nice drink. It is kinda a pilsner version of a pacific pale

Jeez this has been a good brew, really enjoyed a bottle of this tonight. Pity I didn't put some more bottles of this in the fridge for tonight

• Upvote 1