Neder Lager

Brewed this once before and it was a bit of a disaster but that was more on me I guess, so a year later I have given it another go. So, 4 weeks in I chucked a stubby in to see what it is like (really had to stop myself in the last few weeks to open one, it was alright in the sample out of the droid) and that is a real good example of a Dutch lager, a real good example.

Early days but that is a fair chance of cracking the top 10, really impressed with this one. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First beer back and it is the Neder at about 10 weeks and funnily enough, after trying some Heinekens when I was away and not liking them, the Neder, a Dutch lager, indeed had a bit of the Heiny in it but it was a far, far better version of it. Really happy with this, drinks very nicely at 4-6 weeks but maybe leave out 7-8 weeks and then drink the rest for a different beer.

I was going to talk about top 10 in beers but maybe we have to extend it to top 15...

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Just reading what I wrote about this last year, this is a really nice beer. Had one last week and thought it was bloody lovely (7 weeks now) but yeah having one tonight...and I am at that point where I can have a longneck of something differnt in the night...but I may have to have a second. This is an awesome beer, if I got this on tap in a pub, I'd be stoked, like really stoked.

17 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Just reading what I wrote about this last year, this is a really nice beer. Had one last week and thought it was bloody lovely (7 weeks now) but yeah having one tonight...and I am at that point where I can have a longneck of something differnt in the night...but I may have to have a second. This is an awesome beer, if I got this on tap in a pub, I'd be stoked, like really stoked.

Haven’t brewed this one so I will. With regards to hops, did you follow the recipe or change?

32 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Haven’t brewed this one so I will. With regards to hops, did you follow the recipe or change?

JUst the recipe, pretty sure it would have been 25gms of Hallertau or close enough to 25 :)

I'm not a huge fan of Heiny out of the bottle, off tap it's better but this is...dare I say it...a version of Heiny that it would want to be. 

1 minute ago, Rob Courtney said:

JUst the recipe, pretty sure it would have been 25gms of Hallertau or close enough to 25 :)

I'm not a huge fan of Heiny out of the bottle, off tap it's better but this is...dare I say it...a version of Heiny that it would want to be. 

Thanks for that and one to blame if crap. 😳😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2021 at 10:54 PM, Rob Courtney said:

You won't be disappointed if your OK with Hallertau hops ( obviously I am) drinks well through secondary from 4 weeks on. I know what beer it is trying to emulate and it has it covered.

I may have told this story before...

But

When I have to do work or seminars up in Adelaide, the company puts me up in a hotel and gives you a breakfast allowance and I think $55 for dinner, which is easier used at the hotel than paying for it somewhere else and then getting reimbursed. So, it had been a couple of years since I had been up to Adelaide and rules had changed, I used to get a couple of beers with dinner...25 years ago, I could get 6 beers and dinner...no idea how giving mixed company a fair bit of alcohol caused problems...but it did, so the value of alcohol dropped until...

I was on my first night at the hotel after a conference and the hotel had some decent food...or...imperial pints of Heineken on tap for 10 bucks, so I sat in the bar and had 6 pints ( I went 5 bucks under the next night to even things out), then walked down a steep staircase and staggered to Maccas, bought 2 quarter pounders ( which quite frankly I could only eat smashed), staggerd back, went to sleep.

3 days later I got the most passive aggressive email from HR dictating the "no alcohol" policy. Capitals, bolded and in red specifying the policy. It was sent by...well quite frankly a woman who thought I was not married and had not developed a shield against such behaviour...I wanted to point out that I had married someone far more able to read me the riot act...and even then I chose whether to listen so her efforts were futile.

Still, those six imperial pints of Heineken were worth it, good night, I must have looked a shambles eating those quarter pounders though :)

Nothing quite like a few beers on a work trip.

I used to stay right next to Hemmingways brewery in Cairns for work and did a bit of damage there.

Even had an infamous stay in Canberra where I walked from a hotel in Manuka into the city to go to Bentspoke Brewing for a session. Not that impressive really except that it was snowing outside. 😁

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice dinner back home with a full belly and onto my own beers after some vodka and a couple of glasses of Shiraz at the restaurant. I do sometimes wonder though if it is a faux pas to ask for a double when you are getting a glass of Shiraz?

Anyways, beer is really nice, well worth a try if you haven't brewed one before, probably be even better if it was summer and not 5 degrees outside

IMG_1430.jpg