Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta Earl Grey IPA questions

I am going to brew a Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta Earl Grey IPA as per the cheat sheet and I have a couple of questions for the brains trust?

• What would be the dry hop alternative to H6?
  • What would be the best way to infuse the tea? The recipe calls for 15 Earl Grey tea bags but I would think you wouldn't just throw them into the brew. Perhaps tie them together with a string that hangs through the breather on the outside?
  • The recipe calls for the tea bags to be added in storage mode....would that be after the hops has been added when it is ready to Keg? So it would be at kegging temp for the hops for 48 or so hours, then another 48 hours with the teabags at storage temp (4 degrees?).

The recipe is: E1, E2 X 2, E5 x2, X1, Y1, H6, Brewing programme ALE, 15 Earl Grey Tea Bags EOF on storage mode for 48 Hours

Anyone else had a crack at this one?

Cheers

Edited by Clayton Angel

24 minutes ago, Clayton Angel said:

I am going to brew a Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta Earl Grey IPA as per the cheat sheet and I have a couple of questions for the brains trust?

• What would be the best way to infuse the tea? The recipe calls for 15 Earl Grey tea bags but I would think you wouldn't just throw them into the brew. Perhaps tie them together with a string that hangs through the breather on the outside?
  • The recipe calls for the tea bags to be added in storage mode....would that be after the hops has been added when it is ready to Keg? So it would be at kegging temp for the hops for 48 or so hours, then another 48 hours with the teabags at storage temp (4 degrees?).

The recipe is: E1, E2 X 2, E5 x2, X1, Y1, H6, Brewing programme ALE, 15 Earl Grey Tea Bags EOF on storage mode for 48 Hours

Cheers

1) An alternative to H6 (galaxy) would be H1 (Amarillo) or Citra or Simcoe which are not in the H series.

2) Personally I’m not into cold crashing (storage mode) with these recipes and wouldn’t be sitting tea bags in the droid for 48hours per recipe. I’d make a tea by pouring just boiled water onto the tea bags (250ml) in a sterilised container (dedicated coffee plunger is great for this and hops. Allow to cool with tea bags still in and place in the fridge. Do this the day before your going to add it to the droid. As the recipe states 7-10days for fermentation I’d add it (liquid only) on day 6. You can then keg or bottle when fermentation is complete.

3) Add the hops at the same time.

4) If you want to go the cold storage 48hrs road then add the hops and tea at end of fermentation and press the storage button.

Trust this helps, Mark

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 5:22 PM, Clayton Angel said:

Cheers

I'll be really keen to hear how this one goes as other than Coopers Dark Ale this is my wife's all-time favourite beer.

If it turns out well I'll have to give it a try. Please keep us updated.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello all...just an update on this one.

So I put the tea concentrate and boil bag of Amarillo dry hops in after 6 days. Normally you would expect it to wrap up after 7 but no it kept soldiering on. So after 8 I removed the hops and let it continue. I started check SG after 9 days and kept going until 13 where it hadn't changed so I took it as being done and switched it off. I tasted the beer and it was pretty ordinary. Strong tea flavour, a little hops and not at all like the yeastie boys one.

I bottled them up anyway and we will wait and see. Perhaps the carbonation drops will add something or maybe just letting it secondary ferment will do the job. 

12 minutes ago, Clayton Angel said:

Hello all...just an update on this one.

So I put the tea concentrate and boil bag of Amarillo dry hops in after 6 days. Normally you would expect it to wrap up after 7 but no it kept soldiering on. So after 8 I removed the hops and let it continue. I started check SG after 9 days and kept going until 13 where it hadn't changed so I took it as being done and switched it off. I tasted the beer and it was pretty ordinary. Strong tea flavour, a little hops and not at all like the yeastie boys one.

I bottled them up anyway and we will wait and see. Perhaps the carbonation drops will add something or maybe just letting it secondary ferment will do the job. 

So you didn’t do the 48hrs of cold storage? It will be interesting to evaluate after carbonation and then a few weeks to mature. The flavours may develop further. Will wait to then.

Cheers.

• 7 months later...

I set this brew up as a custom dry hop program so the Droid told me it was good to go at about 10 last night by which time I'd had two pints down at Brewboys in Croydon Park (opposite Coopers) and a pint of my Mountain Range IPA which is absolutely at its best at the 7 week mark. 🥰

So I let this sit overnight and tackled this morning instead.

I used 30 grams of the loose leaf tea in a large hop ball and 20 grams of Riwaka hop pellets in another hop ball. I'll let the program run so that these are both in the brew for at least 4 days and will probably do the extra 48 hours at 18 degrees for the Brewflo foam prevention method.

I have no idea how it will turn out. If it's no good the wife can drink all 10 litres on her own. 😆

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kegged today after 14 days in the Droid. The brew including the cold crash was ready in just under 10 days but I left it for a few extra to further infuse the tea flavour and do what is becoming the usual 48 hour sit to address any Brewflo foaming.

Probably the best tasting brew I've sampled at kegging so far. Will be interesting to see how it turns out in 6 weeks time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Making this one again today with a few alterations to the recipe this time around:

E1, E2 (2), E5 (2), X1, Y1

1.5 litres of French Earl Grey Tea which was 40g loose leaf tea steeped for a few hours

80g Maltodextrin

Dry Hop with 50g Galaxy

H6 at kegging

Sorry but your not turning me on with this one. I suspect that 50g of Galaxy dry hop and a H6 (galaxy) at kegging may well over power the earl grey tea? However I’ve never been in the tea brew additions of home brew so could be well wrong.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Sorry but your not turning me on with this one. I suspect that 50g of Galaxy dry hop and a H6 (galaxy) at kegging may well over power the earl grey tea? However I’ve never been in the tea brew additions of home brew so could be well wrong.

I haven't committed to either of those additions yet so I guess they could change.

• Haha 1

The more I think about @Captain 3 Droids comment re the hop additions (and he's right) the more I'm inclined to just use the same amount of Riwaka hops as last time. So perhaps 20 - 25g as a dry hop and that'll be it.

Last time I effectively dry hopped with the tea leaves (which is apparently how Yeastie Boys brew it) whereas this time I made fairly strong tea and added it to the brewing water. Last time around the tea taste seemed to wear off a bit with time but I suspect it will be a little stronger made this way.

The real recipe has Motueka, Pacific Jade, and Southern Cross in it but I'm unlikely to source those specifically just for one batch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kegged this one yesterday with one taster bottle too. It sat in storage mode for about 9 days whilst I waited for some keg space. The Earl Grey tea aroma was much stronger this time and the trub smelled incredibly sweet. Should be an interesting beer again.

Giving the Droid and good soak tonight and will probably put down a Narci Citrus brew print tomorrow as I'm short on time and have a few remaining that I'd like to use up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

6A637797-315A-4728-92C4-2AD3B027E1AC.thumb.jpeg.c540ac5409216d775cf873ecf402f71c.jpeg

Taster bottle at about 3 weeks.

Head rentention is ok but I’m surprised it’s not better with the addition of the maltodextrin.

The tea taste is much stronger this time and the beer is surprisingly less sweet. I think this is closer to the original and the wife made the same remark.

She reckons she preferred it sweeter though.

You can’t win.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

The tea addition will generally tend to flatten the beer in the early stages. I think you’ll find an improvement in a few weeks.

There's oils from the tea leaves so that makes sense.

I'll be hooking this keg up to CO2 to carbonate so it will be interesting to see what effect that has.

• Upvote 1