Coopers Hazy IPA

IMG_7654.thumb.jpg.75f40f7b1fb01391c10b40c15efddba2.jpg

IMG_1847.thumb.jpg.bb660533410c25b74e8c0ed29c91d603.jpg

I'm going to push my luck a little here and post this in the BrewPrints sub forum in the hope that @BrewArt Team seriously considers giving us a BrewPrint for this recipe.

I made a special trip to the Exeter Hotel on Rundle St on Monday night to try this and to say it lived up to my expectations is an understatement. Like the XPA this is a fantastic beer and will hopefully become a mainstay of the Coopers stable in future.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I'm going to push my luck a little here and post this in the BrewPrints sub forum in the hope that @BrewArt Team seriously considers giving us a BrewPrint for this recipe.

I made a special trip to the Exeter Hotel on Rundle St on Monday night to try this and to say it lived up to my expectations is an understatement. Like the XPA this is a fantastic beer and will hopefully become a mainstay of the Coopers stable in future.

Great, love these styles as well. Recipes came out fairly quickly (I think) with the release of the Coopers XPA.

9 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day @Dustin Frothman,

That is great to hear you liked the Hazy IPA. I have been enjoying a bit of it myself :)
Because it's only a limited beer I'll definitely be looking at recreating it for our Brewartists, so we can continue to enjoy it when the pubs run dry.

Cheers

Brilliant, thank you.

I'm back in Brisbane for work again now and not sure when I'm next home in Adelaide.

Were you delivering this on draught nationally or is it only in SA?

50 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Brilliant, thank you.

I'm back in Brisbane for work again now and not sure when I'm next home in Adelaide.

Were you delivering this on draught nationally or is it only in SA?

Can help you there:-

Coopers releases Hazy IPA

August 4, 2020
By Alana House

Coopers Brewery is launching Hazy IPA, a limited-edition seasonal release that will be available in kegs and 375ml cans across Australia from August 17.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Can help you there:-

Coopers releases Hazy IPA

August 4, 2020
By Alana House

Coopers Brewery is launching Hazy IPA, a limited-edition seasonal release that will be available in kegs and 375ml cans across Australia from August 17.

I hope so.

I saw a billboard for the cans on the drive to work this afternoon but I'm most interested in the draught. 😁

G 'Day @Dustin Frothman,

Yes it is sold on draught in some Brisbane pubs, here's a list for you:

Pig & Whistle Riverside                123 Eagle St                        Brisbane CBD

Mr Edwards Ale House                 46 Edward St                      Brisbane CBD 

Bitter Suite                                       75 Welsby St                      New Farm

South Beach Social                          South Bank Parklands     South Bank 

Brewski Bar                                        22 Caxton Street              Petrie Terrace

Eatons Hill Hotel                              646 South pine Rd            Eatons Hill 

Enjoy! Cheers

16 minutes ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day @Dustin Frothman,

Yes it is sold on draught in some Brisbane pubs, here's a list for you:

Pig & Whistle Riverside                123 Eagle St                        Brisbane CBD

Mr Edwards Ale House                 46 Edward St                      Brisbane CBD 

Bitter Suite                                       75 Welsby St                      New Farm

South Beach Social                          South Bank Parklands     South Bank 

Brewski Bar                                        22 Caxton Street              Petrie Terrace

Eatons Hill Hotel                              646 South pine Rd            Eatons Hill 

Enjoy! Cheers

You’ll have to try one in each pub Dustin! 🥳

• 1 month later...
On 19/08/2020 at 8:07 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

They have issue a kit recipe (this months Coopers email “Recipe of the Month”. Not your normal run of hops makes it difficult unless you buy the boxed kit.

On 09/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, Barrelboy said:

They have issue a kit recipe (this months Coopers email “Recipe of the Month”. Not your normal run of hops makes it difficult unless you buy the boxed kit.

I saw that and I believe it sold out very quickly.

I'm still managing to find it in cans here in Brisbane but the wife tells me around Adelaide is now nigh on impossible.

We need that Brewart recipe. 😑

15 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I saw that and I believe it sold out very quickly.

I'm still managing to find it in cans here in Brisbane but the wife tells me around Adelaide is now nigh on impossible.

We need that Brewart recipe. 😑

Looking at the ingredients and the processes in making up the wort it would seem not so straight forward for a BrewPrint equivalent however in a number of cases when comparing Cooper’s kit recipes and the matching BrewPrint recipe the ingredients tend to differ, eg hops.So they may come up with something.

When back in Adelaide you could always buy the kit ingredients and make up the wort for the droid (getting two batches).

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

Looking at the ingredients and the processes in making up the wort it would seem not so straight forward for a BrewPrint equivalent however in a number of cases when comparing Cooper’s kit recipes and the matching BrewPrint recipe the ingredients tend to differ, eg hops.So they may come up with something.

When back in Adelaide you could always buy the kit ingredients and make up the wort for the droid (getting two batches).

Thank you. Yes I thought the same so am just being a little cheeky. I really love that beer.

The hop variety is an "unusual" one too and I appreciate that for Coopers to release a Brewart packaged hop pellet it would need to be applicable to more than one recipe to make commercial sense.

I will probably buy the kit and do that. 

Just need that second Droid first ... 😶

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Thank you. Yes I thought the same so am just being a little cheeky. I really love that beer.

The hop variety is an "unusual" one too and I appreciate that for Coopers to release a Brewart packaged hop pellet it would need to be applicable to more than one recipe to make commercial sense.

I will probably buy the kit and do that. 

Just need that second Droid first ... 😶

I’ve looked up hop equivalents, ahtanum substitute Amarillo or Cascade; Strata sub Galaxy or Mosaic all are available as Brewart ingredients including the Citra. So there could be hope for a BrewArt equivalent.

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

ahtanum

I'd hadn't heard of this varietal prior to drinking this beer. That in itself doesn't mean much as there are so many breeds being developed and trademarked, but it is interesting.

I do think the Hazy has a really unique aroma and I'm sure it's this hop. Otherwise it's very much a Coopers beer and has that distinctive Coopers malt taste (which as an aside I think may be something that is bugging some of our American friends here).

So I'd love to give it a go as the Coopers Brewers intended and see how it turns out. The Recipe of the Month kit sounds like the way to go if it's still available later in the year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I'd hadn't heard of this varietal prior to drinking this beer. That in itself doesn't mean much as there are so many breeds being developed and trademarked, but it is interesting.

I do think the Hazy has a really unique aroma and I'm sure it's this hop. Otherwise it's very much a Coopers beer and has that distinctive Coopers malt taste (which as an aside I think may be something that is bugging some of our American friends here).

So I'd love to give it a go as the Coopers Brewers intended and see how it turns out. The Recipe of the Month kit sounds like the way to go if it's still available later in the year.

My thoughts:-

E1; E2; E5; 2 x X1; 1 x X2; Y1. Steep 30min of 125g crystal malt, 6g Cascade (D1), 6g Galaxy (D7)  and add to 10l Droid water. Dry hop 6g Cascade, 6g Galaxy and 12g Citra. - 6.5%. 
Will give it a go when I can fit it in.

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Thanks 1