Beer line

Robert Pretty

Hi guys 

With the beer line , how long can I keep it connected to a keg , when not being used? Example put keg in allow to cool, start drinking beers Friday and Saturday. Kegs still half full , turn it off Sunday, turn it back on the following Thursday night start drinking again, Friday . Is that ok as long as the beer line isn't disconnected. Also do you need to change beer lines when you change kegs even if it is the same batch of beer.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

turn it off Sunday, turn it back on the following Thursday night start drinking again, Friday . Is that ok as long as the beer line isn't disconnected.

I wouldn't do this. Leaving a used beer line in the Flo with it switched off is inviting bacteria to enjoy the leftover beer in the line and it could contaminate your tap assembly,  your keg cap and even the beer in the keg.

If the Flo is on and cold then in my opinion there's no issue leaving the line in and connected as per the recommendations from Brewart. It is ok to swap the same line between kegs during a single session too.

If you're short of a few lines then the safest thing to do would be to disconnect it, clean and rinse well in clean water or better still a Droid Cleanse tab or sodium percarbonate solution, spray some no rinse sanitiser all over it and through the line before placing in a clean ziplock bag and into the fridge for storage until next use.

You will of course get the very best results with a brand new line.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Thanks Dustin, so as long as I keep the Brewflo on it can stay in there indefinitely? Several weeks etc

I'm not sure. Anyone else here wish to comment on this?

In fact I've been wondering how long it's ok to leave the Brewflo on for? I've had it on for a couple of days and then put the keg back in the fridge and given it a break for a while. 

Hi,

I leave it connected all the time.  Often a few days between beers if I'm being good on weeknights 😊

Bear in mind that the tap isn't cooled, so you will have to pour 1/4 glass away as it will be unrefrigerated and probably a bit rancid.

I tend to close my eyes and scull it, and follow it with a decent glass asap!!!

Main thing is that it definitely doesn't cause the keg to spoil if you leave it connected.

Cheers,

M.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1