Transporting Kegs

Dustin Frothman

I'm moving shortly and have 5 kegs in various stages of secondary fermentation. It's unlikely that even if they were ready to drink that it would be possible to consume beforehand.

Is it safe to try and move these if they are stored upright and handled carefully? They would be professionally relocated amongst other personal effects in a 20' shipping container?

Alternatively, do I need to give away some beer? 😔

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I'm moving shortly and have 5 kegs in various stages of secondary fermentation. It's unlikely that even if they were ready to drink that it would be possible to consume beforehand.

Is it safe to try and move these if they are stored upright and handled carefully? They would be professionally relocated amongst other personal effects in a 20' shipping container?

Alternatively, do I need to give away some beer? 😔

Personally I’d wrap a towel, jumper etc around each one and transport them, in a nice box.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking a plastic tub with a lid if I can find one that is tall enough.

A plastic tub with a lid is the way to in-case you get a leaker. 

Keep them up right and protect the valves, a direct impact to the valve may snap it off and you will end up with a high pressure beer fountain. (I dropped one once 🙁).

What's the temperature going to get to in the container? Anything too high for a sustained period may spoil the beer.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, xpsTech said:

What's the temperature going to get to in the container? Anything too high for a sustained period may spoil the beer.

Not sure but would assume < 30C at this time of year. It's Brisbane to Adelaide so not a short journey but as it's a door to door service (as opposed to a back load) it should be fairly expedient.

I'll look for a tub.

Will need a few beers when I get settled at the other end so if I can hang onto them that's a good result. My Droid is currently idle which is sad enough.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Well packed

... and after telling them it was heavy, the first muppet removalist tried to lift the tub from one end and broke it on the first go. I ended up stealing their tape gun and taping the whole thing up.

Oh well, joke’s on them if they mishandle it and end up with a beer shower. 🤣

• Haha 2