Question about EOF

Hello!

Did my first batch a Belgian Strong Ale. It took 8 days to detect a start of fermentation and it was unable to detect EOF meaning it went to the max days over 20 days in total. The brew was infected with mold on top and I suspect that it was the yeast that was slow to start and it got infected. I did not check under the lid or use a hydrometer I just let it go to the max days. My question is how often does the BeerDroid not detect EOF and how much impact would the bad yeast/infected brew have on it?

Thanks,

John

1 hour ago, EJC said:

Hello!

Did my first batch a Belgian Strong Ale. It took 8 days to detect a start of fermentation and it was unable to detect EOF meaning it went to the max days over 20 days in total. The brew was infected with mold on top and I suspect that it was the yeast that was slow to start and it got infected. I did not check under the lid or use a hydrometer I just let it go to the max days. My question is how often does the BeerDroid not detect EOF and how much impact would the bad yeast/infected brew have on it?

Thanks,

John

It is the yeast that is the issue, you will need to contact @BrewArt Team info@brewart.com.au. They will be able to do a diagnostic on the droid for you and give you some answers. What has happened is not the norm, it always detects EOF 

Welcome to the forum BTW

Rob

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum.
Rob is correct, no EOF is rare and “touch wood” haven’t had it in over 147 brews. As long as you cleaned the unit and sanitised (including the tap, lid and bung) an infection is rare. Sometimes the appearance on top doesn’t look all that pleasant and if you are unsure before you dump it a photo (if able to) is a help to determine if it is infected.

Cheers Mark

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you everyone I appreciate the feedback. The BrewArt support team responded to me right away and was extremely helpful and offered me a replacement Belgian Strong Ale for my bad batch as well as a complimentary of my choice. At this time I have already started my second batch of Belgian Strong Ale and things are looking a lot better! This time I used room temperature bottled water for my brew and turned the temperature up a notch briefly to really get the yeast going. Maybe it was my unfiltered tap water that was bad who knows. Fermentation start detected and there is definitely a lot more activity and bubbles this time so looking forward to the results. 👍👍

John

InkedScreenshot_20201021-214816_LI.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
Just now, J P said:

Uh oh.   Fermentation day 7 of 10 on a Hefeweizen.  Smells fine.    BUT a few spots of white mold.   Do I wait it out? Let it be? Thoughts?

image.jpg

Still getting the daily temp rises and falls that seems normal.   I KNOW ... you’re not supposed to peak but I’m only human.   It’s been fermenting for 160 hours.  It’s hard to watch and not peak.  

Edited by J P

6 minutes ago, J P said:

Still getting the daily temp rises and falls that seems normal.   I KNOW ... you’re not supposed to peak but I’m only human.   It’s been fermenting for 160 hours.  It’s hard to watch and not peak.  

Looks ok, fermentation is active, the “mouldy” looking stuff appears to be protein from the yeast and wheat malt. Smelling ok is a good sign. Continue on.

Cheers

C3D you’ve saved my morale.  thank you.  even if you’re lying !!!😜

Appreciate your experienced eye and advice.  I’ll hold steady for 3 more days before I hit the panic button again 🙂

Whoever invented the phrase “a watched kettle never boils” clearly never fermented his own beer!  LOL

• Haha 1