Tall Tale Ale brewing time

Hetkela

I used liquid hops when the droid prompted me to add dry hops. This happened on day 7 of brewing. On day 8 the droid dropped the temp to 4 degrees. it is now day 10 and still brewing. I am just concerned because estimated brewing time is 5 to 7 days. 

Has anyone else had this issue? I am concerned that there might be an issue with the Yeast.

8 hours ago, Hetkela said:

I used liquid hops when the droid prompted me to add dry hops. This happened on day 7 of brewing. On day 8 the droid dropped the temp to 4 degrees. it is now day 10 and still brewing. I am just concerned because estimated brewing time is 5 to 7 days. 

Has anyone else had this issue? I am concerned that there might be an issue with the Yeast.

Correct. I record fermentation times and to date 3 x 6 days and 2 x 7 days. However that’s without using the new dry hop function. Yours finished on target it’s just that the new dry hop function adds a few days to the program, your on the way and nothing is wrong.

Cheers Mark 

• 5 months later...

Sooooo, if I forgot to order a Y3 yeast when i ordered my last order, with the ingredients for a tall tale...what's the substitute?

I mean, I am narrowed down in stock anyways that if free delivery comes up, I'll jump on it...do have a spare Y1 for some reason...I swear, I must get smashed before I work out an order

24 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Sooooo, if I forgot to order a Y3 yeast when i ordered my last order, with the ingredients for a tall tale...what's the substitute?

I mean, I am narrowed down in stock anyways that if free delivery comes up, I'll jump on it...do have a spare Y1 for some reason...I swear, I must get smashed before I work out an order

I don’t have access to it at the moment, but isn’t there a updated page in the Shemsheet file that shows each Brewart yeast and the correlating variety?

If you look that up couldn’t you just grab some at the local brew shop and then weigh out half for a 10 litre brew?

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Other than the brew shop I’d go with the Y1

image.thumb.png.9b80dfad22d2cd43d9e302de99823de1.png
image.thumb.png.ac3b1749731bc981740cc550384e49da.png

image.thumb.png.6b1d9bd590a441ce3634dd5360d55e11.png
image.thumb.png.908349ec569de166496e707f0a0040c9.png

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, I got my order today so I used a Y3 that I ordered. Will keg this one to see how the flow goes again, did fire up the Flow to make sure it still goes...and it does. Will have to spend some time this weekend to sanatise the bejesus out of all the kegging stuff so I am ready to go.

Interested to see how this one goes, are people just putting the 25gms of hops in?

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, I got my order today so I used a Y3 that I ordered. Will keg this one to see how the flow goes again, did fire up the Flow to make sure it still goes...and it does. Will have to spend some time this weekend to sanatise the bejesus out of all the kegging stuff so I am ready to go.

Interested to see how this one goes, are people just putting the 25gms of hops in?

Received my order yesterday as well so all set up for quite a while.

I still run with 25g of hops however if a recipe calls for 2 different types of hops I’ll go 15 to 20g of each depending on the brew. I personally don’t “over hop” (my term) as I feel it can over power the other brewing ingredients. There are of course exceptions where the hops are the issue eg with an Extra Citra PA, Hop-Sessed Session IPA  etc. 40 to 50g the go.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Received my order yesterday as well so all set up for quite a while.

I still run with 25g of hops however if a recipe calls for 2 different types of hops I’ll go 15 to 20g of each depending on the brew. I personally don’t “over hop” (my term) as I feel it can over power the other brewing ingredients. There are of course exceptions where the hops are the issue eg with an Extra Citra PA, Hop-Sessed Session IPA  etc. 40 to 50g the go.

Yeah, the amount of hops per brew is an interesting one, there are some like the Czech Pilsner that I feel 50 gms is just right and others in the lager pilsner range that are made worse when you step over 20

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, the amount of hops per brew is an interesting one, there are some like the Czech Pilsner that I feel 50 gms is just right and others in the lager pilsner range that are made worse when you step over 20

Very true, plus there is how long you dry hop for, 24, 48hrs ……..? I find with the amount of hops I use I work on min 48hrs but try for 3 to 4 days with good results IMO.

• Upvote 2

On 05/05/2021 at 5:30 AM, Rob Courtney said:

Have been doing a lot of reading on hops lately.   Wow it’s overwhelming.  

according to one source, between 4 and 8 g/L

(20-40g per droid) 

Is a good rule as anymore won’t get you a better beer    

same guy also quoted a 

5-10-15 rulE

Pale Ale        5 g/L (50g)

IPA               10 g/L (100g)

Double IPA 15 g/L (150g)

not sure about that one...

BUT have some experiments going and can’t wait to share the results   

currently have two droids doing an Irish red and plan and hopping one with goldings and the other with fuggles (which autocorrects to giggles) 

can’t wait to compare those two  I used to think I loved Kilkenny until I tried it again in a pub (from the can) and while delicious, was seriously lacking

who would’ve known brewing your own would put so many tried and true beers of the past to shame     🤞🏼

• Upvote 3

@J P I reckon 75 to 100g in the droid is good for an IPA, it’s great for a hoppy pale ale too. Smaller amounts for subtle hop flavours in lagers and real ales.

The science says 8.5g /L is where the flavour curve hits the sweet spot. I’m buying hops in 1 kg quantities so I find it  simpler to break the bulk bag down into 25 or 50g packages before they go in the freezer and then dose my brews accordingly.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

First time I kegged a brew in probably 12 months, I surprised myself with how methodical I was with the process Will have to do a video or picture story for it ( might go the video though so I can do the conection to the bag again ;)

Will let that sit til I get back from wintter holidays in July

• Sad 1