Help!

Hi Everyone-

First time poster and first time brewer.  I had successfully completed the Tall Tale Pale Ale brew and was kegging.  Then... disaster struck.

First, the plastic connector broke causing beer to leak out the top.

Second, there was a liner fail and beer leaked into the keg.  I believe in retrospect that the much maligned bad connection between the keg connector and keg liner struck again.

My dog hid in the basement the rest of the night as my stream of expletives made for a tense scene.

So now what?  I am extremely frustrated at getting the beer to the finish line only to have this happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

-Scott

5.jpg

1.jpg

35 minutes ago, Scott Johnson said:

Hi Everyone-

First time poster and first time brewer.  I had successfully completed the Tall Tale Pale Ale brew and was kegging.  Then... disaster struck.

Second, there was a liner fail and beer leaked into the keg.  I believe in retrospect that the much maligned bad connection between the keg connector and keg liner struck again.

My dog hid in the basement the rest of the night as my stream of expletives made for a tense scene.

So now what?  I am extremely frustrated at getting the beer to the finish line only to have this happen.

-Scott

5.jpg

1.jpg

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum and sorry under rotten circumstances, but these things can happen and if any positive you learn from them.

You may not have seen but Rob has done a video on liner/cap connection. Under the main forum “First Time BrewArtist: Basic Operation” there is a thread “Keg liner cap onto a keg liner video” There are other discussions about this as well.

I see the cap broke so it may well be worth your while talking to the BrewArt team Tech (get people/service). I’ll do the link for you. Pat the dog (give him/her the beer) and keep on brewing. Honestly it it is well worth it. You in Australia or US?

Cheers Mark. 
Info/attention for @BrewArt Team, if you can help. Thanks

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Scott Johnson said:

Hi Everyone-

-Scott

5.jpg

1.jpg

Sorry to see that mate, when you say the connector broke, did it just slip off the the black tap? I mean that was me first time and yes the swearing was pretty good when it happened.

If all parts aren't broken, then my advice would be to pour the beer from the liner back in the droid and re keg. Just be careful not to pour any beer from outside the liner back into the droid. You will not be able to take the liner out of the keg, so if you can sterlise the original yellow cap from the liner, put it back on, then pour the beer outside the liner into a glass for a sample ( but yes, most will have to go into the sink...and once all out, take the yellow cap off and pour back into the droid.

It took me a while to get my mojo kegging from the droid but you will get there

Mark and Rob thank you for your encouragement.  It's a really slick system so I am hoping I can work these kinks out.  I also was contacted by Liam at Brewart.  He had some helpful suggestions and is taking care of me with reference to the broken piece and lost beer. Brewart customer service is top notch even by my unrealistic American standards.  No use crying over split beer, so back to brewing I'll go!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Johnson said:

Mark and Rob thank you for your encouragement.  It's a really slick system so I am hoping I can work these kinks out.  I also was contacted by Liam at Brewart.  He had some helpful suggestions and is taking care of me with reference to the broken piece and lost beer. Brewart customer service is top notch even by my unrealistic American standards.  No use crying over split beer, so back to brewing I'll go!

Great stuff Scott. Honestly, get over a few hiccups and you’ll just love it all. Keep the positive attitude and with service like from Liam you can’t go wrong. Keeps us updated on your progress.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Devoooooooo !  Explicatives, tears ...

I just sprayed myself in the eyes when the rubber tubing slipped off.  

I defiantly grabbed a bag of electrical ties and went to work.  

I can see again.  And... no leaks.    

game.   On!!!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, J P said:

Devoooooooo !  Explicatives, tears ...

I just sprayed myself in the eyes when the rubber tubing slipped off.  

I defiantly grabbed a bag of electrical ties and went to work.  

I can see again.  And... no leaks.    

game.   On!!!

I remember one time I was filling a keg and was using wheat dextrose to help carbonate the keg. So, I put the dextrose in first, then filled it, walked back into the kitchen, was getting the cap reay to put on, when I noticed the kids looked a bit excited and turned around to see an almost volcano like affect happening behind me as beer spewed out of the top.

Kids thought it was great, I was swearing like I had Tourettes and had just hit my thumb with a hammer, what beer i saved turned out pretty good and well carbonated. I wasn't laughing at the time but can look back on it now and have a smile

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi J P and a warm welcome to the forum. Glad all is now good and would seam your quick reaction has saved a lot of beer.

Cheers

Hey thanks C3D!

good little community here.   

pretty stoked to enjoy this new hobby.  Thanks for the warm welcome and supportive responses so far.  

This will be the funnest beer-belly-growth plan ever 😝

• Upvote 1