Kegging and filtering

Does the beerdroid or the bottling adaptor attached to the dry hop filter has space for a hose to be fitted? I want to filter my beer when kegging, not only through the dry hop filter but also through a filter with 1 micron. If I could connect a hose it would work but the beerdroid doesnt seem to have any connections for hoses. When looking at the bottling adaptor I thought it had the JG quick connect system but it doesnt so im gonna have to be creative here. 

31 minutes ago, Sondre Sørensen said:

Does the beerdroid or the bottling adaptor attached to the dry hop filter has space for a hose to be fitted? I want to filter my beer when kegging, not only through the dry hop filter but also through a filter with 1 micron. If I could connect a hose it would work but the beerdroid doesnt seem to have any connections for hoses. When looking at the bottling adaptor I thought it had the JG quick connect system but it doesnt so im gonna have to be creative here. 

Hi Sondre

I’m not real clear on what you’re trying to rig but I keg with a hose directly from the droid to a keg ball lock connector.  The hose inserts snuggly into the spout of the droid tap.  If interested, I can caliper the OD of the hose.  Fits snug and does not leak.

Regards

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Hi Sondre

I’m not real clear on what you’re trying to rig but I keg with a hose directly from the droid to a keg ball lock connector.  The hose inserts snuggly into the spout of the droid tap.  If interested, I can caliper the OD of the hose.  Fits snug and does not leak.

Regards

Yes please do that. Thank you. What I mean is that im going to connect a beer filtering system between a hose from the bottling adaptor. The beer filtration system I looked at has a 9mm hose connection so I will need to do some modification

7 minutes ago, Sondre Sørensen said:

Yes please do that. Thank you. What I mean is that im going to connect a beer filtering system between a hose from the bottling adaptor. The beer filtration system I looked at has a 9mm hose connection so I will need to do some modification

It 8 mm OD...fits perfectly into the spout.  

3 minutes ago, Sondre Sørensen said:

You mean the original spout or the bottling adaptor? If its the original spout then I can just remove the dry hop filter and bottling adaptor and connect the 9mm hose first, then the filter

The 8 mm OD hose fits (inserts) into the spout of the original chromed plastic beerdroid tap.  The spout of this tap inserts into the dry hop filter.  Hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, Sondre Sørensen said:

Ahh I see. Well then my problem is solved. Thanks for reply

I’m glad.  Brewing my own beer was a bucket list item for me and finally went for it after reading about the BrewArt system,  so far have really enjoyed the process but have yet to tap my first keg.  Still maturing and mellowing in the keg per recommendations from the experts here.  Should be ready to carbonate, tap and try around our Thanksgiving in a couple weeks.  That would give me 4 weeks of conditioning.  May benefit from more time but my patience is weakening.  Just started my second brew...GOAT.   Amber ales are my favorite craft beer here.   Many here seem to thinks it’s a contender.

Good luck 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Andy said:

I’m glad.  Brewing my own beer was a bucket list item for me and finally went for it after reading about the BrewArt system,  so far have really enjoyed the process but have yet to tap my first keg.  Still maturing and mellowing in the keg per recommendations from the experts here.  Should be ready to carbonate, tap and try around our Thanksgiving in a couple weeks.  That would give me 4 weeks of conditioning.  May benefit from more time but my patience is weakening.  Just started my second brew...GOAT.   Amber ales are my favorite craft beer here.   Many here seem to thinks it’s a contender.

Good luck 

Im totally agree. Amber ales is at least a rating of 5 out of 6 by my opinion. Dark  beer types is one of my favorites kind of beer. I like almost every kind of beer types, but dark beer and ipas are my favorites cause their flavour is exploding. Good luck with the goat! Cheers!

Hi Sondre

You will block a 1 micron filter very quickly if you dry hop. The Brewart filter works very well, although i did block it. Mainly my fault. If you are going to big hop say 100+ grams , don't rush the cold crush , actually let it sit longer. An don't move the droid. I learnt that from experience. I drink IPA's and have never had any hop material transfer to the kegs or bottles. The photo is a 2 week old 100g hopped custom IPA, nothing in it, will clear more after further storage. Amber's and Pales with 50g of hops not a problem for the filter.IMG_20201115_123422615.thumb.jpg.ba1da9a5f8a9454df1d2df768f390027.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, Robert Pretty said:

If you are going to big hop say 100+ grams , don't rush the cold crush , actually let it sit longer. An don't move the droid. I learnt that from experience.

From my experiments I'm finding 60 - 72 hours is about right for 100ish grams of hops. The weekend gone worked out quite nicely as I was away interstate for the first 48 hours of the cold crash and then had a Christmas catch up Sat night. I left the brew sitting there in storage for the extra 12 hours or so.

The Rapid River Ale was brewed with 100 grams of hops and there wasn't as much as a fleck of material in the tube. The first keg filled quite slowly and there was a reasonable amount of hop sludge in the filter. I cleaned and sanitised it between keg fills but otherwise it ran really nicely and the second keg filled much quicker.

• Upvote 1