Another Mess...Why No Airlock ?

Andy

As I’ve said many posts, total newbie to brewing but really enjoying both the droid process and consumption so far.  However, after just initiating my 3rd brewprint, pineapple Ale, woke to to a hell of a sticky overflow mess.  Glad the wife was still in bed long enough for me to clean up.

Has anyone wondered why there isn’t an overflow hose that could run into a bucket and also act as an airlock if submerged in water?  Also, why doesn’t it hurt the brew being open to air with no airlock?

Thanks and Regards 

6 hours ago, Andy said:

As I’ve said many posts, total newbie to brewing but really enjoying both the droid process and consumption so far.  However, after just initiating my 3rd brewprint, pineapple Ale, woke to to a hell of a sticky overflow mess.  Glad the wife was still in bed long enough for me to clean up.

Has anyone wondered why there isn’t an overflow hose that could run into a bucket and also act as an airlock if submerged in water?  Also, why doesn’t it hurt the brew being open to air with no airlock?

Thanks and Regards 

My understanding that an airlock/hose would effect the processes of the droid with regard to fermentation start and EOF advise. The lid system in part seals however any “excessive” pressure will be allowed to escape.

There are a few recipes, the pineapple being one of them (from memory) that warn if potential overflowing. A few of us actually have taped to the side of the droid by the overflow outlet a Chux wipe cloth to catch any overflow and reduce mess.

E073EB28-4FC8-4D73-B2F2-1FDF2970CD32.thumb.jpeg.fc747aacf7d002abcc019d2d60f5ae57.jpeg

Edited by Captain 3 Droids

38 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

My understanding that an airlock/hose would effect the processes of the droid with regard to fermentation start and EOF advise. The lid system in part seals however any “excessive” pressure will be allowed to escape.

There are a few recipes, the pineapple being one of them (from memory) that warn if potential overflowing. A few of us actually have taped to the side of the droid by the overflow outlet a Chux wipe cloth to catch any overflow and reduce mess.

E073EB28-4FC8-4D73-B2F2-1FDF2970CD32.thumb.jpeg.fc747aacf7d002abcc019d2d60f5ae57.jpeg

Thanks Capt.

Wish I’d thought on that catch towel...next time.  Yes there was a slip of paper in the brewprint warning of possible overflow so I did lay a couple paper towels underneath the droid.  However, had no idea it would foam out the entire left side of the droid and then down my mini fridge to the floor!  Fortunately floor is tile.  No damage down...just a sticky clean up mess.

Thanks for the reply.

Andy

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Saved my arse, thanks much!  Left home to go to the store and set up just in case but thought it was done puking.

64DEBE16-7AA3-4A69-A83F-A34D2BAD09B4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hey Andy , both above are good options. I have had my droid "burp" quite a few times. The porters/stouts and the pineapple crush have all done it for me . I have a chux on my table and just clean it up every 12 hours or so and it doesnt get too stuck on . Being sugars it goes rock hard if you leave it lol

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Another thought is to just tape a clear plastic A4 sheet protector to the side, that way any overflow can be caught and it is a quick wipe up

Smco 100 X A4 CLEAR PLASTIC PUNCH PUNCHED POCKETS FOLDERS FILING WALLETS  SLEEVES: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

Thanks Rob.  That may work well allowing overflow to run onto my sponge