First brew. Concerns on long fermentation time

Hi,

I have done my first brew with "Golden Days of Summer Ale" brewprint.

Unfortunately about one week into the fermentation i had to change my wifi name and passwords due to some online security issues we had with our wifi. This meant i lost connection to the Droid. 

The Droid kept on brewing but it seems to be much longer than the Brewprint guideline of 5-8 Days. On Day 13 i got a prompt to Dry Hop and I added the ingredients as instructed and hit the tick button on the Droid.

The fermentation is now on 15 days and 16 hours.

Is this normal?

Is there a maximum fermentation time?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Cheers,

Karsten 

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5797.PNG

IMG_5798.PNG

IMG_5797.PNG

Welcome Kirsten, all you have submitted seems fine. Although fermentation is a bit longer than usual the droid has been following the process stages. The custom hop addition works on 24hrs then it will go into a cold crash (storage mode) for a further 24hrs.

Cheers

ps you’ll enjoy the Summer Ale, refreshing drop. Keep posted as to outcomes etc. Questions/info on the forum always welcome.

33 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

The custom hop addition works on 24hrs then it will go into a cold crash (storage mode) for a further 24hrs.

Hi Karsten and welcome to the forums.

As @Captain 3 Droids  said, everything appears ok with your brew.

Just a small clarification to the information quoted above - the dry hop period is 48 hours and the "cold crash" another 48. Overall the Dry Hop feature adds a minimum of 4 days to the overall brewing program.

Keen to hear how you get on with your first brew so make sure to let us all know.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Hi Karsten and welcome to the forums.

As @Captain 3 Droids  said, everything appears ok with your brew.

Just a small clarification to the information quoted above - the dry hop period is 48 hours and the "cold crash" another 48. Overall the Dry Hop feature adds a minimum of 4 days to the overall brewing program.

Keen to hear how you get on with your first brew so make sure to let us all know.

Cheers.

Thanks Dustin, so extra 4 days. Sorry Kirsten, just testing.

Hi @Karsten Volzke and welcome.

Just to add my thoughts to the feedback given already which is correct as fermentation can sometimes take a while longer than normal.

However, there are a few things that do concern me that warrant an email to @BrewArt Team technical support to get things checked out.

First up, the fermentation time for an Ale is more than "just a little longer" than normal. Your app timeline indicates that fermentation was detected early in the brew, this is a very good sign of excellent yeast propagation and strong fermentation, but it also means it should have detected end of fermentation much sooner under these ideal conditions.

I can see from the Droid screen, you have already dry hopped, and as @Dustin Frothman said, it should be 2 days of dry hop and then 2 days of cold crash from when you acknowledged adding the dry hops on the Droid, so the good news is it won't be too much longer.

The other thing I noticed is the "connection lost" notification in the App's timeline but no "connection restored" notification, plus the fact that your Droid screen shows no wi-fi or server icons means there is a connection issue.

So ordinarily, as @Captain 3 Droids  said, there is nothing to worry about and you will soon be enjoying this brew. But, there are a few signs that would prompt me to contact technical support if I were you.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

Hi xpsTech,

Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback. My Droid started cold crashing last night and is currently sitting at 4-5C. So i guess i must be finally near the end of the fermentation process.

I will double check with BrewArt technical support on the long fermentation time. 

However for the loss of Wifi and Server on my Droid it is because i had to change the wifi name and password at home (some b@stard hacked my credit card details). I did not want to try and reconfigure the Droid while the brew was in process due to worry of accidentally cancelling the brewing program. However perhaps this was a cause for the long fermentation..... I will check with BrewArt Technical support.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Karsten Volzke said:

Hi xpsTech,

Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback. My Droid started cold crashing last night and is currently sitting at 4-5C. So i guess i must be finally near the end of the fermentation process.

I will double check with BrewArt technical support on the long fermentation time. 

However for the loss of Wifi and Server on my Droid it is because i had to change the wifi name and password at home (some b@stard hacked my credit card details). I did not want to try and reconfigure the Droid while the brew was in process due to worry of accidentally cancelling the brewing program. However perhaps this was a cause for the long fermentation..... I will check with BrewArt Technical support.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers!

For you information you can’t reconfigure the Droid or update firmware whilst you are in the brewing processes, so you’re lost no time. 
Cheers

• Upvote 1